Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_5_] Tim Wescott[_5_] is offline

Default OT but so what?

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:07:59 -0800, etpm wrote:

I am going to be oredering gravel for my driveway tomorrow. Not sure
what size to get. Most of the driveway had gravel spread 5 years ago and
it will be getting 1.25" sharp with binder. A new section of road which
is pretty soft I'm thinking needs 2". Maybe with binder too. I am also
considering recycled concrete, but I don't know if it's available here
on the island. Any gravel from off island gets expensive because of the
ferry charges. About $75.00 per load. Anybody want to weigh in? Tell me
what kind or size of gravel I should be getting? In the new road there
is one spot which is especially soft in the rainy season. Which is
pretty long here just north of Seattle. I am of two minds on how to fix
this spot. First, fill with 2" sharp gravel and then add more as time
goes by if the road keeps getting pot holes from the gravel sinking.
Second would be to fire up the backhoe and dig a hole 4 or 5 feet deep,
then fill the hole to about a foot from the top with rocks that I have
collected from my property, top off with dirt and then 2" gravel. All
the rocks I have are rounded so they may shift over time but I can still
add more gravel until they are stable. I plan on having a yard or so of
gravel left over just for spot filling.
Eric

Is there a spring there? Is the driveway ditched, or otherwise close to
good drainage? Mebbe that much effort could be better spent putting tile
under the thing into a drain line to keep out the water that's making it
soft?

I'm very much guessing here -- road building is not my forte.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services