DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   The stronger (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/363287-stronger.html)

SteveB[_14_] October 24th 13 05:24 PM

The stronger

I want to put some lateral pieces under my trailer frame to stiffen it.
They will run from side to side, and weld on. My choices are channel,
heavy angle, I beam, and hitch stock. Which would be better in terms of
supporting sag, and holding up weight over a 77" span?

Thanks

Steve

Karl Townsend October 24th 13 05:51 PM

The stronger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_hardeningOn Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:24:47 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I want to put some lateral pieces under my trailer frame to stiffen it.
They will run from side to side, and weld on. My choices are channel,
heavy angle, I beam, and hitch stock. Which would be better in terms of
supporting sag, and holding up weight over a 77" span?

Thanks

Steve

I beam has the best load bearing. But there may be other factors. I
used Channel on my truck bed rebuild becase I wanted to weld in a
stake pocket on each cross support. And a 5th wheel support in the
center. Also needed channel for the front back and sides. So doing the
whole thing out of channel was best.

Karl

Ignoramus29024 October 25th 13 01:05 AM

The stronger

On 2013-10-24, SteveB wrote:
I want to put some lateral pieces under my trailer frame to stiffen it.
They will run from side to side, and weld on. My choices are channel,
heavy angle, I beam, and hitch stock. Which would be better in terms of
supporting sag, and holding up weight over a 77" span?

I would use channel. But keep in mind, your trailer with its tires,
axles and suspension, was designed for a certain weight capacity. If
you make the bottom stronger, that does not mean that the trailer can
carry more weight. Actually less, since you added the deadweight of
the supporting members.