Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shop lights

I am so fed up with the fluorescent light fixtures in my shop. I am looking for replacements. Need 48" 4 tube fixtures of good quality. The ones I have the bulb holders are so far apart that they do not reliable make good contact with the tube pins. Some times the tubes fall out on their own. Any suggestions? Using T12 with a diffuser right now on a 8' ceiling. Anyone know of a good brand/model number? TIA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:49:26 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

I am so fed up with the fluorescent light fixtures in my shop...

Man i hear ya. I have the old style large dimater flouresent tubes
from 30 years ago in my shop.

I replaced four of them with today's small diameter flouresent tubes.
MAN WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. When time permits I'm replacing all of the
old ones.

I just got two tube four foot lights from Home Depot on sale for
about $12. Sorry don't remember the T#

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am so fed up with the fluorescent light fixtures in my shop...

Man i hear ya. I have the old style large dimater flouresent tubes
from 30 years ago in my shop.

I replaced four of them with today's small diameter flouresent tubes.
MAN WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. When time permits I'm replacing all of the
old ones.

I just got two tube four foot lights from Home Depot on sale for
about $12. Sorry don't remember the T#

Karl

T8 are the ones you want. Don't get the T5 unless you have a very high
ceiling at least 20 feet.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am so fed up with the fluorescent light fixtures in my shop...

Man i hear ya. I have the old style large dimater flouresent tubes
from 30 years ago in my shop.

I replaced four of them with today's small diameter flouresent tubes.
MAN WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. When time permits I'm replacing all of the
old ones.

I just got two tube four foot lights from Home Depot on sale for
about $12. Sorry don't remember the T#

Karl

I see small diameter tubes with metallic green colored ends. Does that
have anything to do with it?

I recently went to Lowes and Home Depot looking for single pin four
footers and a sales guy said that new fixtures would pay for themselves
is less than a year. True?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am so fed up with the fluorescent light fixtures in my shop...

Man i hear ya. I have the old style large dimater flouresent tubes
from 30 years ago in my shop.

I replaced four of them with today's small diameter flouresent tubes.
MAN WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. When time permits I'm replacing all of the
old ones.

I just got two tube four foot lights from Home Depot on sale for
about $12. Sorry don't remember the T#

Karl

The two eight foot (two four footers, end to end) and two four foot
fixtures in my shop all take T12 tubes and have porcelained
reflectors - basicaly industrial fixtures with spring (axial) loaded
sockets. these fixtures are probably at least fifty years old and I
keep babying them along in the hope they will outlast me. I also use
task lights as required.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I did this 5 years ago & got lots of good (I assume) advice here. Here
is that thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ng/87qLWixOpjw

Hope that works, if not go he
http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...l=en&q=&hl=en&
and search for "Fluorescent shop light retrofit questions" as "Subject"

Now, what I did do was: replace ballasts with electronic ones & lamps
(T8's) in my existing fixtures. It was 5 years ago, so my memory of
it's a bit weak, but IIRC, it was cheaper that way (using eBay for brand
name ballasts and buying a case of lamps).

Bottom line: I didn't notice any difference! ****er! But, I thought,
"At least they're more efficient and I'll save a lot money". Then I
read the fine print, which said that better efficiency only comes when
the lights are on for extended periods. Mine are not - at most a few
hours at time, sometimes minutes. Double ****er.

HTH,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 10:49:26 AM UTC-6, Gerry wrote:
I am so fed up with the fluorescent light fixtures in my shop. I am looking for replacements. Need 48" 4 tube fixtures of good quality. The ones I have the bulb holders are so far apart that they do not reliable make good contact with the tube pins. Some times the tubes fall out on their own. Any suggestions? Using T12 with a diffuser right now on a 8' ceiling. Anyone know of a good brand/model number? TIA

We added some of the new-style skinny tube fixtures to a work area in the b-in-l's tool shed, quad 4' tubes in 8' fixtures. Man, what a difference. A lot more light than the 8' single pin jobbies hanging from the ceiling. Managed to score several fixtures at Lowe's last year when they had them on sale, also had some spare tubes. You do have to watch the temp ratings, some won't work well in cold temps. Tubes ARE more expensive, haven't had enough experience with them yet to tell how long they will vs. the old, big jobs.

You CAN get new tube holders from lighting suppliers, should you want to keep the existing fixtures because they'd be a bigger pain to replace. Not rocket science to replace those. Loose tube holders are a fire hazard, if nothing else.
Probably had poor connections that overheated, causing them to lose their spring temper, causing worse contact, etc. Death spiral here, eventually either the ballast goes or you get a fire.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am so fed up with the fluorescent light fixtures in my shop...

Man i hear ya. I have the old style large dimater flouresent tubes
from 30 years ago in my shop.

I replaced four of them with today's small diameter flouresent tubes.
MAN WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. When time permits I'm replacing all of the
old ones.

I just got two tube four foot lights from Home Depot on sale for
about $12. Sorry don't remember the T#

The number quoted in all lightbulb descriptions is in eighths of an
inch - T-5 = 5/8" OD, T8 = 1" OD, T-12 = 1-1/2" OD. The letter is the
lamp envelope shape abbreviated - Globe, Tubular, etc. Some of the
names are rather obscure.

Odd letters can indicate BU (Base Up) BD (Base Down) H (Horizontal +/-
15-degrees) mostly in Merc and Metal, and they have indexing sockets
so they stop in the right position with the arc tube arc pointed up -
and the new ones are normally U (Universal - any position)

I see small diameter tubes with metallic green colored ends. Does that
have anything to do with it?

All the Green Ends shows is Reduced Mercury content - instead of the
old days when they used a big fat drop to make sure there was plenty,
now they meter in a teeny tiny carefully metered drop. They tend to
take longer to get warmed up in very cold environments.

I recently went to Lowes and Home Depot looking for single pin four
footers and a sales guy said that new fixtures would pay for themselves
is less than a year. True?

The Single Pin lamps are Slimline Instant Start lamps, and they're
going away - they don't do well with the reduced mercury. You can
still get replacement electronic ballasts for them - but they're also
making T-8 Slimline lamps that are drop-in replacements.

And yes, you're far better changing over to the 4' T-8 fixtures (or
the 8' Tandem fixtures with 4 4' lamps 2X2 end to end) with
high-efficiency electronic ballasts. Might not be a year to get
payback in all cases, but certainly by year two or three.

For starters, the new electronic ballasts are running Switching Mode
to get rid of the 120-Hz flicker from old magnetic lights - no more
strobe effect "stopping" the spindle, and headaches from the flicker.

And if you do get some 20-KHz flicker, change lamps to get ones where
the phosphors have more persistence - they keep glowing in between the
pulses.

Note that there are conversion adapter plates to turn old T-12
fixtures to T-8. Very handy for parking garages, where they hung the
old fixtures with concrete nails shot into the ceiling.

Mainly because they shot those nails into a FRESH concrete slab that
was only a few months old - 30 or 40 years later, any powder actuated
tool you fire at that concrete is just going to bounce right off and
come right back at you. DAMHIKT...

For things like parking garages and non-critical area lighting, LED
Fixtures are finally getting reasonably priced and the electronics are
catching up to the reliability of the LEDs themselves.

Just change the whole fixture every 50K hours - 12 to 13 years dusk
to dawn. Might have to go through and clean the lenses every few
years, and that's it. No lamp changes.

-- Bruce --

Shop lights Mike O. Woodworking 5 September 2nd 09 09:04 PM
Shop lights stryped[_3_] Metalworking 22 July 14th 09 09:58 PM
Shop lights shawn Home Repair 10 September 8th 06 07:35 PM
Shop lights shawn Home Repair 0 September 7th 06 04:17 AM
Shop Lights joebass Metalworking 11 January 24th 06 04:06 AM