Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressor wiring

I have a new 5 horse 80 gallon upright ingersol rand compressor. I need to wire it up. My outlet I wired years ago in hopes of having a new compressor I ran 4 conductor cable. red,black,white, and ground. My compressor has connections inside the pressure switch but only three. Red and black I understand, however do I put the white neutral on the third spot in the switch or do I put the ground there? This is in my detached garage with a 100 amp sub panel. Just want to make sure it is right.

Also, I assume a dryer type plug is not a good Idea and I need a disconnect with the wire from it to the compressor in armor shield?

I appreciate it!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My guess, based on my limited experience,
is that your compressor wires to black, red
(to black and red) ground to the third screw.
The white neutral is not used.

Dryer plug and socket should work fine. Old
style, three conductor. Of course, you can
wire in a disconnect switch if you wish.

The reason they went with four wires, is to
provide a neutral for 120 volt timer and drum
motors, used in some dryers.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/4/2013 11:07 AM, stryped wrote:
I have a new 5 horse 80 gallon upright ingersol

rand compressor. I need to wire it up. My outlet I
wired years ago in hopes of having a new compressor
I ran 4 conductor cable. red,black,white, and ground.
My compressor has connections inside the pressure
switch but only three. Red and black I understand,
however do I put the white neutral on the third spot
in the switch or do I put the ground there? This is
in my detached garage with a 100 amp sub panel.

Just want to make sure it is right.

Also, I assume a dryer type plug is not a good

Idea and I need a disconnect with the wire from it
to the compressor in armor shield?

I appreciate it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:07:54 AM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I have a new 5 horse 80 gallon upright ingersol rand compressor. I need to wire it up. My outlet I wired years ago in hopes of having a new compressor I ran 4 conductor cable. red,black,white, and ground. My compressor has connections inside the pressure switch but only three. Red and black I understand, however do I put the white neutral on the third spot in the switch or do I put the ground there? This is in my detached garage with a 100 amp sub panel. Just want to make sure it is right.
That is what I thought. SO just cap off the white wire inside the box?

Also, I assume a dryer type plug is not a good Idea and I need a disconnect with the wire from it to the compressor in armor shield?

I appreciate it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 08:07:54 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote (with a distinct lack of Line Wrap...):

I have a new 5 horse 80 gallon upright ingersol rand compressor. I need to wire it up. My outlet I wired years ago in hopes of having a new compressor I ran 4 conductor cable. red,black,white, and ground. My compressor has connections inside the pressure switch but only three. Red and black I understand, however do I put the white neutral on the third spot in the switch or do I put the ground there? This is in my detached garage with a 100 amp sub panel. Just want to make sure it is right.

For starters, check the spec sheet and make sure a 30A 240V circuit is
what the new compressor wants, it should be. And that you have 10-3
Romex and a 30A breaker.

Do NOT go any larger on the breaker than the compressor nameplate
says, if the motor stalls or fails to start (which happens when the
check valve leaks) you want the breaker to pop before the motor
releases it's Magic Smoke.

Also, I assume a dryer type plug is not a good Idea and I need a disconnect with the wire from it to the compressor in armor shield?

A dryer cord is fine - You don't have to use any armor or conduit if
it isn't a commercial shop install, or exposed to unusual hazards. And
if you do choose to use conduit, the plastic Non Metallic Liquidtight
is plenty - run a separate ground wire.

An industrial shop has a whole different set of rules. You'd need a
lockable fused safety switch for openers, lockable safety valves with
vents on all the shop air lines going out so you can turn off the air
to the shop, and a wall full of warning signs for ear protection, eye
protection, crushing hazards, "Equipment may start at any time"...
Fuhgeddaboudit.

You should put up the newer 4-pin dryer outlet if you have the 4 wires
there - all new installs you have to keep the Ground and Neutral
separate, since the dryer timers and interior light are 120V and you
can't hook that load to the Safety Ground anymore. (You can't use
the "Grandfathered" excuse for a 3-pin receptacle on a house built
after the rules change.) Hook up all four pins now, and cover it up
forever.

Get a factory made 3' 4-pin dryer cord, or a 6' cord if the outlet
isn't right where it needs to be. And you do need some sort of a
strain relief at the compressor pressure switch, if it doesn't come
with one you need to put a knockout style cord clamp on the box.

If the cord has spade lugs, they should slide right into the pressure
switch Line Lugs. And you just cap off or tape off the Neutral wire
inside the pressure switch enclosure.

Be careful with wire routing, there isn't a lot of room in those
switches so fold neatly - If you cram the wires where they cross over
each other and smoosh the cover on top, eventually you'll have a short
circuit.

(Do NOT cut off the lug if you don't absolutely have to, you might
reuse the cord on a real dryer and need it. Tape and tuck away.)

Bonus: The cord is also a Safety Switch - Unplug it before you start
changing the oil in the compressor or tensioning the belt, and there's
no way it can start on you.

(Unless a Total Moron is in the vicinity, but that applies to all
safety steps you can take...)

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have a new 5 horse 80 gallon upright ingersol rand compressor. I need to wire it up. My outlet

I wired years ago in hopes of having a new compressor I ran 4
conductor cable. red,black,white, and ground. My compressor has
connections inside the pressure switch but only three. Red and black I
understand, however do I put the white neutral on the third spot in
the switch or do I put the ground there? This is in my detached garage
with a 100 amp sub panel. Just want to make sure it is right.

Also, I assume a dryer type plug is not a good Idea and I need a disconnect with the wire from it to the compressor in armor shield?

I appreciate it!

Is your motor single phase or 3 phase? Is your electrical service
single phase or 3 phase? The web shows compressors in both 1 and 3
phase and several voltages.

(experience has shown that mixing requirements and service is usually
not effective :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

5hp is generally 240 single phase. Anything bigger is GENERALLY 3
phase.

And since the switch has only a red and a black connection it is
almost CERTAINLY single phase 240.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, I looked on the web and that model seems to be sold with a
230VAC, 1 phase or 200VAC 3 phase or 230VAC 3 phase or 460VAC 3 phase
motor - see
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/inge...p-p-16658.aspx

I once connected 440 VAC three phase to a two wire and neutral wiring
system which rather convinced me that it was probably a good idea to
be sure of what I was doing before I switched on next time :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

He should hire an "electrician".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 07:19:55 -0500, Ignoramus23787
wrote:

He should hire an "electrician".

Yes, but....
--