Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default does anyone know what 9135 steel is compared to

I'm a machinist at a small mom & pop tool shop and I make parts for
different company's, right now I am making some parts for Chrysler and on
their prints they call for the material to be "9135", I have been in the
Tool & Die trade for 20+yrs and have never heard of this type of material.
Can anyone please tell me what this type of steel is or compared to.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...to-582788-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:18:02 +0000, Lawrence R. Bauman
wrote:

I'm a machinist at a small mom & pop tool shop and I make parts for
different company's, right now I am making some parts for Chrysler and on
their prints they call for the material to be "9135", I have been in the
Tool & Die trade for 20+yrs and have never heard of this type of material.
Can anyone please tell me what this type of steel is or compared to.

It sounds like one of the SAE HSLA grades, or an AISI maraging grade.
They both use the 9xxx series, but I don't recognize 9135.

Is this sheet, plate, barstock or what?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lawrence R. Bauman"
I'm a machinist at a small mom & pop tool shop
and I make parts for
different company's, right now I am making some
parts for Chrysler and on
their prints they call for the material to be
"9135", I have been in the
Tool & Die trade for 20+yrs and have never heard
of this type of material.
Can anyone please tell me what this type of
steel is or compared to.

Just for kicks I was doing a web search for this
alloy and came
across this on onlinemetals site: heh heh ....
;)}

At OnlineMetals, we all failed shop class.
Multiple times. As a matter of fact, our
employment applications specifically ask to see
people's grades for their high school shop
classes. If they're too high, they go into the
rejected pile. We're also not engineers, and
cannot make any specific recommendations about the
suitability of a given alloy, temper, or shape for
your project or application.

All technical data is for comparison purposes only
and is NOT FOR DESIGN. It has been compiled from
sources we believe to be accurate but cannot
guarantee. This ends the part of the website that
our pointy-headed lawyers made us put in.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:45:01 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Lawrence R. Bauman"
[...]

Ha-ha! I should save that. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm a machinist at a small mom & pop tool shop and I make parts for
different company's, right now I am making some parts for Chrysler and on
their prints they call for the material to be "9135", I have been in the
Tool & Die trade for 20+yrs and have never heard of this type of material.
Can anyone please tell me what this type of steel is or compared to.

Perhaps it's a proprietary Chrysler alloy or internal number.
What does DaimlerChrysler (Daimler AG) say?

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.