DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   File mfgr recommendation (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/361039-file-mfgr-recommendation.html)

Artemus[_4_] August 15th 13 03:24 AM

File mfgr recommendation

I need to buy some new files for handsaw sharpening and I'm
looking for recommendations. Nicholson used to be good but
I've heard that their stuff now made in mexico is sub par.
Grainger carries the Simonds brand. Any good?
I don't want any crap made in china or india .
Any others I should avoid and/or consider?

Specifics: All triangular taper files
6" slim, 6" X slim, 5" 2X slim (6" 2X slim would work too)
Art

jon_banquer[_2_] August 15th 13 07:05 AM

File mfgr recommendation

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:24:48 PM UTC-7, Artemus wrote:
I need to buy some new files for handsaw sharpening and I'm

looking for recommendations. Nicholson used to be good but

I've heard that their stuff now made in mexico is sub par.

Grainger carries the Simonds brand. Any good?

I don't want any crap made in china or india .

Any others I should avoid and/or consider?

Specifics: All triangular taper files

6" slim, 6" X slim, 5" 2X slim (6" 2X slim would work too)

Art

When you want quality nothing beats Swiss made.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...072,43089&ap=1

jon_banquer[_2_] August 15th 13 07:10 AM

File mfgr recommendation

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:05:16 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:
On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:24:48 PM UTC-7, Artemus wrote:

I need to buy some new files for handsaw sharpening and I'm

looking for recommendations. Nicholson used to be good but

I've heard that their stuff now made in mexico is sub par.

Grainger carries the Simonds brand. Any good?

I don't want any crap made in china or india .

Any others I should avoid and/or consider?

Specifics: All triangular taper files

6" slim, 6" X slim, 5" 2X slim (6" 2X slim would work too)

Art

When you want quality nothing beats Swiss made.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...072,43089&ap=1

Better links:

http://www.ottofrei.com/Files

http://www.gesswein.com/s-70-grobet.aspx

jon_banquer[_2_] August 16th 13 10:33 PM

File mfgr recommendation

On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:24:48 PM UTC-7, Artemus wrote:
I need to buy some new files for handsaw sharpening and I'm

looking for recommendations. Nicholson used to be good but

I've heard that their stuff now made in mexico is sub par.

Grainger carries the Simonds brand. Any good?

I don't want any crap made in china or india .

Any others I should avoid and/or consider?

Specifics: All triangular taper files

6" slim, 6" X slim, 5" 2X slim (6" 2X slim would work too)

Art

Some people complain about lack of metalworking content in this newsgroup but they don't even bother to answer a post like this.

If you can't bother to answer a post like this, but you wish to complain about the lack of metalworking content in this newsgroup, I'd strongly suggest that you STFU because you're a big part of the problem.