DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gorton 2-28 milling machine (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/355314-gorton-2-28-milling-machine.html)

Ignoramus9908 April 17th 13 01:54 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 05:12 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 16, 5:54*pm, Ignoramus9908
wrote:
For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

*http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

Define what you mean by good? It's designed for large heavy work. It's
not a machine I would use to make small to medium sized parts on
because it's awkward and unwieldy to use compared to say a Bridgeport
Series I.

Harold & Susan Vordos April 17th 13 05:30 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

"Ignoramus9908" wrote in message
For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

Gorton built top of the line equipment, and enjoyed a very respected (and
deserved) reputation in machine tools.

You did good.

Harold

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 05:38 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 16, 9:30*pm, "Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:
"Ignoramus9908" wrote in message

For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

*http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

Gorton built top of the line equipment, and enjoyed a very respected (and
deserved) reputation in machine tools.

You did good.

Harold

It's a knee mill and it's got all the problem that are inherent in
knee mills. It versatile but lacks rigidity.

Ignoramus9908 April 17th 13 07:41 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 2013-04-17, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Ignoramus9908" wrote in message
For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

Gorton built top of the line equipment, and enjoyed a very respected (and
deserved) reputation in machine tools.

You did good.

Harold, to be honest, I like Gortons more than Bridgeports.

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 07:51 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 16, 11:41*pm, Ignoramus9908
On 2013-04-17, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Ignoramus9908" wrote in message
m...
For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

*http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

Gorton built top of the line equipment, and enjoyed a very respected (and
deserved) reputation in machine tools.

You did good.

Harold, to be honest, I like Gortons more than Bridgeports.

That settles it then. No one could possibly argue with any of the
extensive details iggy has provided on why he likes a Gorton more than
a Bridgeport.

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 07:53 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 2013-04-17, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Ignoramus9908" wrote in message
m...
For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

*http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

Gorton built top of the line equipment, and enjoyed a very respected (and
deserved) reputation in machine tools.

You did good.

Harold, to be honest, I like Gortons more than Bridgeports.

When you say "to be honest" does that mean you often aren't honest?

Gunner Asch[_6_] April 17th 13 09:14 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:54:01 -0500, Ignoramus9908
wrote:

For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

If it all works..you will absolutely love it.

Think of it as a Bridgeport on steroids

They are strong! and Stout!

And easy to put a DRO on. Z axis..not so easy...so Id suggest adding
one of the little Z axis stand along DRO rails you can buy on Ebay for
$30.

They have both a powered downfeed AND a crank downfeed, plus the
standard drill press style downfeed lever

The next version..the 2-30 was converted to NC. Same machine..just
upgraded with "CNC" controls

http://gorton-machine.org/machines/index.html

Gunner

Harold & Susan Vordos April 17th 13 10:27 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
[...]

You obviously have not operated a Gorton.

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos April 17th 13 10:29 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 2013-04-17, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Ignoramus9908" wrote in message
For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

Gorton built top of the line equipment, and enjoyed a very respected (and
deserved) reputation in machine tools.

You did good.

Harold, to be honest, I like Gortons more than Bridgeports.

A Gorton is to a BP what a Chev is to a Rolls Royce. They are an excellent
machine. Do not be discouraged by comments that have little merit.

Harold

Gunner Asch[_6_] April 17th 13 11:11 AM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:27:49 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

[...]

Poor Jonboi..Im starting to wonder if he has ever operated any machine
tool?

My little 016A is stouter..than a Bridgeport.

Gunner,
Owner
Gorton I-22 Mastermill
Gorton 016A- mill
Gorton 3-Z pantograph

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] April 17th 13 12:13 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

"Harold & Susan Vordos" fired this volley in
:

A Gorton is to a BP what a Chev is to a Rolls Royce. They are an
excellent machine. Do not be discouraged by comments that have little
merit.

Harold

I think you reversed that. Bridgeports certainly are NOT Rolls-Royce
caliber!

OTOH, as rigid as the Gortons have reputations for being, I'd want a
tilt-head machine for my 'second-ops' position. My mill is a rigid-ram
machine, and there are things it would be nice to be able to do without
all the fuss and bother of sine plates and complex fixturing.

Lloyd

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 12:58 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 17, 2:27*am, "Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:
[...]

I have used a Gorton.

Like any knee mill the table overhangs over and isn't supported.

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 01:00 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 2013-04-17, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Ignoramus9908" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Neither a Goton or a Bridgeport are a "Rolls Royce". They both are
serious compromises when it comes to rigidity. All knee mills are.

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 01:07 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

wrote:

[...]

Your failure to understand the problems with knee mill design is about
a humorous as you spending a week and still not being able to figure
out the firing order on your Ford Bronco. You're a clown act, Wieber.

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 01:09 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 17, 4:13*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Harold & Susan Vordos" fired this volley :

A Gorton is to a BP what a Chev is to a Rolls Royce. * They are an
excellent machine. *Do not be discouraged by comments that have little
merit.

Harold

I think you reversed that. *Bridgeports certainly are NOT Rolls-Royce
caliber!

OTOH, as rigid as the Gortons have reputations for being, I'd want a
tilt-head machine for my 'second-ops' position. *My mill is a rigid-ram
machine, and there are things it would be nice to be able to do without
all the fuss and bother of sine plates and complex fixturing.

Lloyd

A Gorton isn't rigid compared to a machine that has the table
supported for the full length of it's travel.

Gunner Asch[_6_] April 17th 13 02:24 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 06:13:19 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Harold & Susan Vordos" fired this volley in
t:

A Gorton is to a BP what a Chev is to a Rolls Royce. They are an
excellent machine. Do not be discouraged by comments that have little
merit.

Harold

I think you reversed that. Bridgeports certainly are NOT Rolls-Royce
caliber!

OTOH, as rigid as the Gortons have reputations for being, I'd want a
tilt-head machine for my 'second-ops' position. My mill is a rigid-ram
machine, and there are things it would be nice to be able to do without
all the fuss and bother of sine plates and complex fixturing.

Lloyd

My I-22 has never had the head swung. And I do a fair amount of
machining.

Shrug

I hang around industrial machine shops for a living..and in the 16 or
so years Ive been repairing machines..I think..think I remember seeing
one swung or tilted.

Ayup...I do remember (1).

Gunner

Ignoramus24865 April 17th 13 02:51 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 2013-04-17, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I do not think that the ability to swing the head is all that
critical.

Gunner Asch[_6_] April 17th 13 04:02 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 08:51:02 -0500, Ignoramus24865
wrote:

On 2013-04-17, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I think I made that point above.

Laugh.

Gunner

David Billington April 17th 13 04:38 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 17/04/13 14:24, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I like the ability to swing and tilt the head on my BP because over the
years I've had to do both many times when for instance an item would
foul the knee so the head was swung to allow the item to hang down
beside the knee. After the item was done the head would be put back
above the table as normal as that what is used most.

Ed Huntress April 17th 13 04:52 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:38:56 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

[...]

Are they arguing about the column swiveling feature, in which the
entire head and overarm (ram) swivel about the colum on a vertical
axis (which sounds like what you're talking about), or the head
swiveling on the ram, that allows the spindle to be set off the
vertical axis?

I thought they were talking about the latter. If so, I believe the
most common use for that is drilling holes off-axis on large
workpieces. Mold makers also used it for machining various off-axis
features where then didn't want to play with sine tables and such.

--
Ed Huntress

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 05:50 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 17, 6:51*am, Ignoramus24865 ignoramus24...@NOSPAM.
On 2013-04-17, Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

It's is critical and not being able to do so greatly lowers the
Gorton's versatility but makes it more rigid.

A Bridgeport knee mill is a far more versatile machine.

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 06:09 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 17, 6:24*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

When you're doing manual machining in a good job shop you constantly
needed to tilt the head and both swung the ram and move it in and
out.

Swinging and moving the ram in and out is often done on large work
pieces.

That you don't know this, Wieber and that you don't know how often the
head needs to be tilted speaks volumes about how clueless and
inexperienced you are with good machining job shops.

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 06:10 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

wrote:
On 2013-04-17, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

You didn't make any point, Wieber. All you did was make a complete
fool of yourself.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] April 17th 13 06:22 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

jon_banquer fired this volley in news:6a861c6d-8a5d-
:

A Gorton isn't rigid compared to a machine that has the table
supported for the full length of it's travel.

Of course not; I agree. But the older (well, they all are) Gortons are
known for their 'strongback' design. They're sure a lot more rigid that BP
machines of all ilk.

LLoyd

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] April 17th 13 06:25 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

I hang around industrial machine shops for a living..and in the 16 or
so years Ive been repairing machines..I think..think I remember seeing
one swung or tilted.

Production shops, or shops doing mostly flatwork probably never swing the
head, and would be better equipped with rigid-ram machines. Re-tramming
is always just a little bit of a pain, even with the right tools.

But I do a fairly large amount of one-off work with angles. It takes
less time to angle the head then re-tram than it takes to do a many of my
setups with angle plates and riser blocks.

Like I said -- only for a second-ops machine. I'm happy with my mill.

LLoyd

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] April 17th 13 06:27 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

I thought they were talking about the latter. If so, I believe the
most common use for that is drilling holes off-axis on large
workpieces. Mold makers also used it for machining various off-axis
features where then didn't want to play with sine tables and such.

We're talking about the latter, although his comment has validity. For a
second-ops machine, I'd want both features.

Lloyd

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 06:35 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 17, 10:22*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
jon_banquer fired this volley in news:6a861c6d-8a5d-
:

A Gorton isn't rigid compared to a machine that has the table
supported for the full length of it's travel.

Of course not; I agree. *But the older (well, they all are) Gortons are
known for their 'strongback' design. *They're sure a lot more rigid that BP
machines of all ilk.

LLoyd

Agree and Gorton's are also more rigid that even a Bridgeport Series
II but what neither iggy or Wieber can comprehend is the versatility
you give up with such a machine. You often need that versatility in a
good machining job shop even one with plenty of CNC machines. I'd
argue a good home shop also needs the versatility for doing something
like automotive performance work. Many other applications require this
versatility as well. It's versatility that made the Bridgeport huge,
so successful and loved by so many.

Mark Wieber is a ****ing moron when it comes to many aspects of
machining and this thread again proves how much of a moron he truly
is. Wieber doesn't have the needed real world machining experience and
many hobby machinist are far more capable than Wieber is at
machining.

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 06:43 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 17, 10:25*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Gunner Asch fired this volley :

I hang around industrial machine shops for a living..and in the 16 or
so years Ive been repairing machines..I think..think I remember seeing
one swung or tilted.

Production shops, or shops doing mostly flatwork probably never swing the
head, and would be better equipped with rigid-ram machines. *Re-tramming
is always just a little bit of a pain, even with the right tools.

But I do a fairly large amount of one-off work with angles. *It takes
less time to angle the head then re-tram than it takes to do a many of my
setups with angle plates and riser blocks.

Like I said -- only for a second-ops machine. *I'm happy with my mill.

LLoyd

Wieber didn't just say tilted, Lloyd he also said swung.

"I hang around industrial machine shops for a living..and in the 16 or
so years Ive been repairing machines..I think..think I remember seeing
one swung or tilted."

You often have to swing the ram for large flat plate work. Face it
Lloyd, Wieber is not a great machinist and his machining inexperience
often shows in his posts. Wieber's machining experience seems very,
very limited to me based on his posts that I've read for years. Almost
all of Wieber's machining experience seems to be centered on fixing
machine tools not on making a lot of diverse parts. The minute Wieber
is out of his element of repairing machine tools his machining
inexperience starts to show and he falls apart like a cheap suit.

Ignoramus24865 April 17th 13 06:59 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 2013-04-17, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
jon_banquer fired this volley in news:6a861c6d-8a5d-
:

A Gorton isn't rigid compared to a machine that has the table
supported for the full length of it's travel.

Of course not; I agree. But the older (well, they all are) Gortons are
known for their 'strongback' design. They're sure a lot more rigid that BP
machines of all ilk.

You are milling on top of the knee, anyway./

Pete C. April 17th 13 07:14 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 2013-04-17, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
jon_banquer fired this volley in news:6a861c6d-8a5d-
:

A Gorton isn't rigid compared to a machine that has the table
supported for the full length of it's travel.

Of course not; I agree. But the older (well, they all are) Gortons are
known for their 'strongback' design. They're sure a lot more rigid that BP
machines of all ilk.

You are milling on top of the knee, anyway./

Not if you swivel the ram of a Bridgeport style machine, that can move
the spindle well off to the side of the knee.

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 07:39 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 2013-04-17, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
jon_banquer fired this volley in news:6a861c6d-8a5d-
:

A Gorton isn't rigid compared to a machine that has the table
supported for the full length of it's travel.

Of course not; I agree. *But the older (well, they all are) Gortons are
known for their 'strongback' design. *They're sure a lot more rigid that BP
machines of all ilk.

You are milling on top of the knee, anyway./

Not if you swivel the ram of a Bridgeport style machine, that can move
the spindle well off to the side of the knee.

When you do something like large flat plate work this is often
necessary.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] April 17th 13 07:50 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

Ignoramus24865 fired this volley in
:

You are milling on top of the knee, anyway./

Yeah, but Ig, overhang makes a difference. If you faithfully lock all the
gibs EVERY TIME, you can cancel most of the tilt in the bed, but you can't
do that if you need XY motion, only if you're drilling or spotting.

Lloyd

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 08:15 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 17, 11:50*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus24865 fired this volley om:

You are milling on top of the knee, anyway./

Yeah, but Ig, overhang makes a difference. *If you faithfully lock all the
gibs EVERY TIME, you can cancel most of the tilt in the bed, but you can't
do that if you need XY motion, only if you're drilling or spotting.

Lloyd

It especially makes a difference with heavy parts that aren't well
balanced where the mass of the part is located off the saddle and
unsupported.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] April 17th 13 08:30 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

jon_banquer fired this volley in news:da08f3b9-bbb0-
:

It especially makes a difference with heavy parts that aren't well
balanced where the mass of the part is located off the saddle and
unsupported.

G That's called "overhang". What I said. G
Lloyd

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 08:39 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 17, 12:30*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
jon_banquer fired this volley in news:da08f3b9-bbb0-
:

It especially makes a difference with heavy parts that aren't well
balanced where the mass of the part is located off the saddle and
unsupported.

G *That's called "overhang". *What I said. G
Lloyd

GBest to be more specific and spell it out for newbies as well as
for clueless machining idiots like Wieber G

Harold & Susan Vordos April 17th 13 09:07 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

. 3.70...
:

A Gorton isn't rigid compared to a machine that has the table
supported for the full length of it's travel.

Of course not; I agree. But the older (well, they all are) Gortons are
known for their 'strongback' design. They're sure a lot more rigid that
BP
machines of all ilk.

LLoyd

Exactly. If one is considering a knee type mill, they are amongst the
best. They should not be compared to a bed type mill.

Harold

Harold & Susan Vordos April 17th 13 09:13 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 2013-04-17, Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Yes, at the expense of rigidity. I've owned two BP's, both purchased new.
Still have the second one. To compare a BP with a Gorton is total insanity.
I've operated several Gorton mills in my years (I-22, Unimil, 9-J and more),
all of which, including the diminutive 8D model, are heads and shoulders
better than a BP mill. None offer the degree of flexibility, I agree.

Harold

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 09:16 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

:

A Gorton isn't rigid compared to a machine that has the table
supported for the full length of it's travel.

Of course not; I agree. *But the older (well, they all are) Gortons are
known for their 'strongback' design. *They're sure a lot more rigid that
BP
machines of all ilk.

LLoyd

Exactly. * If one is considering a knee type mill, they are amongst the
best. * *They should not be compared to a bed type mill.

Harold

Gorton's and other heavy duty knee mills have their place on very
large, heavy work pieces and for taking heavier cuts than a more
versatile but less rigid knee mill like the Bridgeport Series I can.

A Gorton knee mill like iggy purchased certainly would not be my first
choice because it lacks the needed versatility that a machining job
shop or serious home hobbyist often needs.

jon_banquer[_2_] April 17th 13 09:21 PM

Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On 2013-04-17, Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Unless I was working on very large and very heavy work pieces all the
time I would much rather use a Bridgeport Series I mill than the
heavier and less versatile Gorton. There is a reason that Bridgeport's
out sold Gortons and that Bridgeport Machines was far more successful
than Gorton was. That reason is machinists needed the versatility that
a Bridgeport Series I provided.