DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What is this vice called? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/354363-what-vice-called.html)

[email protected] March 22nd 13 03:38 AM

What is this vice called?

I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular
jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any
odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to
buy another but don't know what to search for.

clark March 22nd 13 04:07 AM

What is this vice called?

On Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:38:31 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular

jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any

odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to

buy another but don't know what to search for.

If you charge guys to put their dick in it, it is vice.
I you put it on a drill press and clamp the work in it, it is a vise.

GunnerAsch March 22nd 13 12:23 PM

What is this vice called?

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 22:38:31 -0500, wrote:

I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular
jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any
odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to
buy another but don't know what to search for.

"https://www.google.com/search?q=vise+with+adjustable+jaws"

Then at the very top of the screen, click "images" and scroll through
all the photos until you find the one that matches.

I recall seeing one of them some time back in a shop but cant remember
any details

Gunner

PrecisionmachinisT March 22nd 13 04:13 PM

What is this vice called?

"GunnerAsch" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 22:38:31 -0500, wrote:

I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular
jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any
odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to
buy another but don't know what to search for.

"https://www.google.com/search?q=vise+with+adjustable+jaws"

Then at the very top of the screen, click "images" and scroll through
all the photos until you find the one that matches.

I recall seeing one of them some time back in a shop but cant remember
any details

My bet's he stole it anyways--and that now it's somewhere in his "shop",
probably in a bucket full of other scrap metal items.

Denis G.[_2_] March 22nd 13 08:35 PM

What is this vice called?

On Mar 22, 7:23*am, GunnerAsch wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 22:38:31 -0500, wrote:
I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular
jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any
odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to
buy another but don't know what to search for.

"https://www.google.com/search?q=vise+with+adjustable+jaws"

Then at the very top of the screen, click "images" and scroll through
all the photos until you find the one that matches.

I recall seeing one of them some time back in a shop but cant remember
any details

Gunner

He might have one of these:
http://www.busybeetools.com/products...LTING-JAW.html

There are better pictures of one for sale on a UK website (of course
with the British spelling of “vise”):
http://www.uni-max.co.uk/machine-vice-102/d/

(also “aluminium” jaws for sale there.)

Bob Engelhardt March 22nd 13 09:10 PM

What is this vice called?

On 3/21/2013 11:38 PM, wrote:
I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular
jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any
odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to
buy another but don't know what to search for.

Like this?
http://www.quietelectronics.com/Alas...-S110175A.aspx

GunnerAsch March 22nd 13 09:35 PM

What is this vice called?

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 13:35:09 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Mar 22, 7:23Â*am, GunnerAsch wrote:
On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 22:38:31 -0500, wrote:
I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular
jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any
odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to
buy another but don't know what to search for.

"https://www.google.com/search?q=vise+with+adjustable+jaws"

Then at the very top of the screen, click "images" and scroll through
all the photos until you find the one that matches.

I recall seeing one of them some time back in a shop but cant remember
any details

Gunner

He might have one of these:
http://www.busybeetools.com/products...LTING-JAW.html

There are better pictures of one for sale on a UK website (of course
with the British spelling of €śvise€ť):
http://www.uni-max.co.uk/machine-vice-102/d/

(also €śaluminium€ť jaws for sale there.)

Similar..but the one I saw had (2) "tilting" jaws so it would grasp
odd sized and non linear work pieces.

And I cant remeber where I saw the damned thing. I do recall seeing it
and mentally saying "cool!" after a quick flash of the applications.

Gunner

GunnerAsch March 22nd 13 09:36 PM

What is this vice called?

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:10:07 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 3/21/2013 11:38 PM, wrote:
I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular
jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any
odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to
buy another but don't know what to search for.

Like this?
http://www.quietelectronics.com/Alas...-S110175A.aspx

That is the one..or very similar to the one I saw!!

Gunner

Bob Engelhardt March 22nd 13 09:43 PM

What is this vice called?

On 3/22/2013 5:10 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 3/21/2013 11:38 PM, wrote:
I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular
jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any
odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to
buy another but don't know what to search for.

Like this?
http://www.quietelectronics.com/Alas...-S110175A.aspx

If so, you can buy it here for $67, plus $95 shipping to US:
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/E..._Vices_98.html

[email protected] March 23rd 13 01:02 AM

What is this vice called?

On 3/21/2013 11:38 PM, wrote:
I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular
jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any
odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to
buy another but don't know what to search for.

Like this?
http://www.quietelectronics.com/Alas...e-moveable-jaw...

If so, you can buy it here for $67, plus $95 shipping to US:http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/E...er_Milling_Vic...

I did a search on " Moveable jaw drill press vice " and found a
company in India that makes that vice.

Dan

[email protected] March 25th 13 04:17 AM

What is this vice called?

wrote:

On 3/21/2013 11:38 PM, wrote:
I have a 4" drill press vice. The moveable jaw has 2 semi circular
jaws (the diameter being half the vice width) that pivot to clamp any
odd shaped piece. It works really well on round items. I would like to
buy another but don't know what to search for.

Like this?
http://www.quietelectronics.com/Alas...-S110175A.aspx

Yep, that's it. I've used the heck out of this.