DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   O.T. Tornado Warning Device (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/353903-o-t-tornado-warning-device.html)

[email protected] March 9th 13 03:30 PM

O.T. Tornado Warning Device

The NWS minimum warning area is for the county I live in. I want a
warning for Tornado sounding winds approaching my home. Tornado's in
this area normally travel from the south West to the north East. I do
not want an alarm for the correct sounds moving away from my home.
This device would allow millions of people to work and sleep without
worry.

dpb March 9th 13 05:41 PM

O.T. Tornado Warning Device

On 3/9/2013 9:30 AM, wrote:
The NWS minimum warning area is for the county I live in. I want a
warning for Tornado sounding winds approaching my home. Tornado's in
this area normally travel from the south West to the north East. I do
not want an alarm for the correct sounds moving away from my home.
This device would allow millions of people to work and sleep without
worry.

There _is_ no unique sound pattern -- I've seen one come within a
half-mile of the house w/ no noise whatever.

Watching your local Doppler radar feed is the best bet and your best
chance of somehow automating something would be to figure out a way to
tie into that feed and utilize it...which isn't all that bad an idea,
actually, now that you've prompted it.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 9th 13 06:15 PM

O.T. Tornado Warning Device

"dpb" wrote in message
Watching your local Doppler radar feed is the best bet and your best
chance of somehow automating something would be to figure out a way
to tie into that feed and utilize it...which isn't all that bad an
idea, actually, now that you've prompted it.

When we were developing a component of ADS-B the engineers added a
feature to filter out approaching aircraft warnings until they came
within 20(?) miles of the unit's GPS location.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...ance-broadcast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_911

jsw

Richard[_9_] March 9th 13 06:37 PM

O.T. Tornado Warning Device

On 3/9/2013 11:41 AM, dpb wrote:
On 3/9/2013 9:30 AM, wrote:
The NWS minimum warning area is for the county I live in. I want a
warning for Tornado sounding winds approaching my home. Tornado's in
this area normally travel from the south West to the north East. I do
not want an alarm for the correct sounds moving away from my home.
This device would allow millions of people to work and sleep without
worry.

There _is_ no unique sound pattern -- I've seen one come within a
half-mile of the house w/ no noise whatever.

Watching your local Doppler radar feed is the best bet and your best
chance of somehow automating something would be to figure out a way to
tie into that feed and utilize it...which isn't all that bad an idea,
actually, now that you've prompted it.

--

He wants his own Doppler radar set...