DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What's up with 22 caliber ammo? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/353761-whats-up-22-caliber-ammo.html)

Cross-Slide March 5th 13 05:33 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

It appears that 22 caliber ammo no longer seems to exist.
There is not even enough for someone to grab and horde as it appears...

If it was still being manufactured as before, each store should still be able to get the same amount in as they used to...

What explains this?

PrecisionmachinisT March 5th 13 06:04 PM

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/stag...onversion-kit/

Joe AutoDrill[_2_] March 5th 13 08:34 PM

On 3/5/2013 12:33 PM, Cross-Slide wrote:
It appears that 22 caliber ammo no longer seems to exist.
There is not even enough for someone to grab and horde as it appears...

If it was still being manufactured as before, each store should still be able to get the same amount in as they used to...

What explains this?

As a friend said to me:

There are probably a lot more .22 pistols and rifles out there than all
other calibers combined..more demand since there are more of them...
made sense to me.

The anti-zombie hordes are running out to buy, buy, buy and there are a
gadzillion of them.

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Ed Huntress March 5th 13 09:06 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

As a friend said to me:

There are probably a lot more .22 pistols and rifles out there than all
other calibers combined..more demand since there are more of them...
made sense to me.

The anti-zombie hordes are running out to buy, buy, buy and there are a
gadzillion of them.

I spoke with Dick's Sporting Goods HQ; they don't know why they aren't
getting enough supply. They would not let me talk to their corporate
buyers, who certainly know.

So I talked to one of the plant managers at Remington's ammo plant in
Arkansas. She says that they've been running three shifts for six
weeks, pumping out more .22 rimfire than ever before, and they've put
on extra people and expanded machine capacity. Her guess is that
there's rationing going on at the wholesale distribution level, trying
to fairly distribute their stock to an expanding demand from
retailers, but she hasn't tracked that down herself. She knows they
have gotten desperate calls from some Wal-Mart outlets.

She (Leanne) says to hang tight, they expect the shortage to ease up
soon. The holdup sure isn't from their end.

--
Ed Huntress

Stormin Mormon[_8_] March 5th 13 11:26 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

My question. From what I read on the net, the makers are going full speed,
turning out all they can. I wonder if the American Panic is buying faster
than they can manufacture? I've heard that the stores aren't getting any
restock of 22, so maybe the companies are making the more expensive shells
instead?

Horde: N. Large group of animals or people.
Hoard: N. or V. Storing or keeping items for the future. Usually implies
storing more than what is needed.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Ignoramus24658 March 6th 13 01:28 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

Just wondering how much .22 ammo one really needs. I have several
bricks of it, they take small amount of room, and should last my
lifetime.

Steve B[_13_] March 6th 13 03:23 AM

"Ignoramus24658" wrote in message
Just wondering how much .22 ammo one really needs. I have several
bricks of it, they take small amount of room, and should last my
lifetime.

If you shoot once a day for the rest of your lifetime, 5 bricks would last
6.8 years. Just how many bricks do you have, and is that realistically
enough to live for very long if your .22 is bringing home a lot of your
sustenance, and you shoot more than once a day?

Steve

Ignoramus24658 March 6th 13 03:44 AM

On 2013-03-06, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus24658" wrote in message
Just wondering how much .22 ammo one really needs. I have several
bricks of it, they take small amount of room, and should last my
lifetime.

If you shoot once a day for the rest of your lifetime, 5 bricks would last
6.8 years. Just how many bricks do you have, and is that realistically
enough to live for very long if your .22 is bringing home a lot of your
sustenance, and you shoot more than once a day?

Long enough for me, if the world falls apart, there will still be
things to buy and resell. There will not be enough "wildlife" for
everyone to hunt for 6 years. Something will have to change.

I have about 5 bricks of it, if I recall correctly, you are right on
the spot.

Larry Jaques[_4_] March 6th 13 04:06 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 21:44:26 -0600, Ignoramus24658

On 2013-03-06, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus24658" wrote in message
Just wondering how much .22 ammo one really needs. I have several
bricks of it, they take small amount of room, and should last my
lifetime.

If you shoot once a day for the rest of your lifetime, 5 bricks would last
6.8 years. Just how many bricks do you have, and is that realistically
enough to live for very long if your .22 is bringing home a lot of your
sustenance, and you shoot more than once a day?

Long enough for me, if the world falls apart, there will still be
things to buy and resell. There will not be enough "wildlife" for
everyone to hunt for 6 years. Something will have to change.

How's your stomach for long pork, Ig?
Some yummy zombie stew, anyone? cannibalistic grin

I have about 5 bricks of it, if I recall correctly, you are right on
the spot.

I have most of one left. But I'm near a river and several creeks, so
I'd be snaring and fishing.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.

Michael A. Terrell March 6th 13 04:58 AM

Larry Jaques wrote:

I have most of one left. But I'm near a river and several creeks, so
I'd be snaring and fishing.

Are you up for the gig?

Larry Jaques[_4_] March 6th 13 05:57 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 23:58:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I have most of one left. But I'm near a river and several creeks, so
I'd be snaring and fishing.

Are you up for the gig?

I haven't gigged frogs since I left Arkansas in '66. We never ate
them because the swamp on the base had an overflow pipe and the sewage
frequently came out of it. We'd be walking around (age 12ish) and
seeing lots of old condoms, turds, and such. We knew better. g

My favorite was a green three-pronger. I whittled a broomstick to fit
and tied a piece of nylon cord to it for retrieval. It worked quite
well. We had to watch out for water moccasins there, too.

The things we had the most fun on the AFB we

1) Following the DDT truck during fogging of all the streets around
the base lake.
2) Giggin' frogs.
3) Sailing my friend's styrofoam sailboat.
4) Watching the Apes (air police) shoot the 10ga shotguns at the nests
of water moccasins and other snakes.
Oh, and I almost forgot:
5) Swinging from the rubber trees. There were thin poplars or such
beneath the earthen dam which got plenty of water. We'd climb up
25-30' and hang out over the branches while grasping the thin top of
the tree trunk. It would swing us down and we'd jump and go up and
over, 180-degrees to the other side. Thank CROM one never broke. We'd
have crushed both legs and probably our pelvic bone and some vertebra.

Michael A. Terrell March 6th 13 06:24 AM

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 23:58:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
[...]

Are you sure you never landed on your head? At least once? ;-)

Steve W.[_4_] March 6th 13 06:56 AM

Ignoramus24658 wrote:
Just wondering how much .22 ammo one really needs. I have several
bricks of it, they take small amount of room, and should last my
lifetime.

Let's see I go to the range at least once a month. Plus with eliminating
the musk rats, rats, the odd crow or 30. I can easily go through 3-4
bricks, a couple boxes each of .380, 223, 308 and a few rounds of .50
Plus 2-3 boxes of shot shells (unless it's during club skeet nights,
then I will run through extra)

Plus -

Deer/Bear season - will take slugs, 30-30, and 308 ammo. (+ all the
trappings for the black powder guns)

Turkey season- 10 gauge steel shot

Small game - .22, .410, .223, more shot shells in 20 and 12.

--
Steve W.

Ed Huntress March 6th 13 11:12 AM

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 20:23:04 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Ignoramus24658" wrote in message
m...
Just wondering how much .22 ammo one really needs. I have several
bricks of it, they take small amount of room, and should last my
lifetime.

If you shoot once a day for the rest of your lifetime, 5 bricks would last
6.8 years. Just how many bricks do you have, and is that realistically
enough to live for very long if your .22 is bringing home a lot of your
sustenance, and you shoot more than once a day?

Steve

If there were some kind of disaster, what makes you think there would
be any "sustenance" to shoot?

We have lots of "sustenance" running around now because very few
people depend on shooting it. Even here in NJ, where we have a deer
herd of roughly 160,000 and roughly 3,000 black bears,, our total deer
population in 1900 was fewer than 100 animals and the bear population
was 0.

If you have a disaster and no place to buy food, you won't find a
muskrat to shoot within six months.

That whole survivalist shtick is a fantasy.

--
Ed Huntress

whoyakidding's ghost March 6th 13 05:13 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 06:12:54 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 20:23:04 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Ignoramus24658" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The survivalist mentality seems to appeal most strongly to those who
are struggling to keep their heads above water in normal times. Yet
for some strange reason they imagine doing better than average if only
they were forced into a more difficult lifestyle. Maybe they could
avoid all the waiting and blustering by cutting off a few toes and
moving into a dugout in the woods. :)

Larry Jaques[_4_] March 6th 13 05:30 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 01:24:26 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 23:58:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
[...]

I never said that. I took nose dives out of my highchair as a kid,
and have stitches in both eyebrows to prove it. g Then there was
the time I was chasing a local girl and she ducked under the tubafore
porch railing and I didn't quite see it. It hit me square in the
forehead and my body straightened out on the lawn with my skull
connecting with the concrete after the rail had stopped my forward
progress. THAT hurt. But 'tis the price we pay to chase wimmens.

Ed Huntress March 6th 13 05:58 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

news:cZadneyFWKopBqvMnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d@giganews. com...
[...]

A realistic version of "Survivor," with bullet wounds, people killing
each other over a road-killed rat, deaths by exposure and gangreen?

I've only watched one reality show in my life, but I'd watch one that
was that real. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

whoyakidding's ghost March 6th 13 06:33 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

wrote:

[...]

When I watch The Walking Dead, I can't help think that the
survivalists watching actually believe in the scenario. Food, cars,
and ammo all free for the taking, and nothing but slow moving targets
in the way. The weather is usually nice and the roads are mostly
clear. Women are frequently half dressed and grateful for all the
rescuing, if you know what I mean. Car batteries remain charged, and
vehicles stay clean and undamaged despite being clawed repeatedly by
zombies. Even the grass stays mowed! Yeah they've lost a few
characters but they were mostly the whiney ones. From survivalists'
point of view things are damned good and could be perfect if only that
stupid ****ing kid with the hat would start doing what he's told.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 6th 13 06:42 PM

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

A realistic version of "Survivor," with bullet wounds, people
killing
each other over a road-killed rat, deaths by exposure and gangreen?
Ed Huntress

That would be "Survivor" creator and SAS veteran Mark Burnett's
autobiography.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Burnett

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Roma's+man+won+IRA+respect.-a0180701772

Ed Huntress March 6th 13 07:04 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

wrote:

[...]

Gee, so that's what I'm missing. I don't watch that kind of TV.

This is the absolute truth: I have never watched ANY zombie, vampire,
or reality show -- really, no reality shows -- except for one episode
of "Duck Dynasty." I heard S.E. Cupp talk about her appearance on the
show, so I had to see what it was like.

It's phony as hell, but hilarious.

--
Ed Huntress

Richard[_9_] March 6th 13 09:42 PM

On 3/6/2013 11:58 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

That whole survivalist shtick is a fantasy.

The survivalist mentality seems to appeal most strongly to those who
are struggling to keep their heads above water in normal times. Yet
for some strange reason they imagine doing better than average if only
they were forced into a more difficult lifestyle. Maybe they could
avoid all the waiting and blustering by cutting off a few toes and
moving into a dugout in the woods. :)

A realistic version of "Survivor," with bullet wounds, people killing
each other over a road-killed rat, deaths by exposure and gangreen?

I've only watched one reality show in my life, but I'd watch one that
was that real. d8-)

For the movie crowd, try "The Book of Eli" for a good idea of what it
might be like...

Richard[_9_] March 6th 13 09:43 PM

On 3/6/2013 12:33 PM, whoyakidding's ghost wrote:

When I watch The Walking Dead, I can't help think that the
survivalists watching actually believe in the scenario. Food, cars,
and ammo all free for the taking, and nothing but slow moving targets
in the way. The weather is usually nice and the roads are mostly
clear. Women are frequently half dressed and grateful for all the
rescuing, if you know what I mean. Car batteries remain charged, and
vehicles stay clean and undamaged despite being clawed repeatedly by
zombies. Even the grass stays mowed! Yeah they've lost a few
characters but they were mostly the whiney ones. From survivalists'
point of view things are damned good and could be perfect if only that
stupid ****ing kid with the hat would start doing what he's told.

As for women being grateful for rescue, stock up on toilet paper and
tampons. You'll be king!

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 6th 13 09:56 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
On 3/6/2013 12:33 PM, whoyakidding's ghost wrote:

When I watch The Walking Dead, I can't help think that the
survivalists watching actually believe in the scenario.

As for women being grateful for rescue, stock up on toilet paper and
tampons. You'll be king!

And all your customers will have PMS and a gun.

whoyakidding's ghost March 6th 13 09:57 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

wrote:

[...]

I'm hoping for an avalanche of posters one upping each other to say
how little TV they watch, on account of it being too mindless for
their sophisticated tastes. :)

This is as good a time as any to give my highest recommendation to
this show.
http://twitchfilm.com/2012/10/fantas...hellfjord.html
Subtitled, but worth it to see for example, a repulsive lunatic
explain how he got his hot mail order bride cheap during a potato
famine in Northern Finland.

Michael A. Terrell March 6th 13 10:08 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 01:24:26 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 23:58:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?Larry Jaques wrote:
?? ??
[...]

Are you sure she didn't swing that tubafore at you, and you just
think you ran into one? Quality women are never cheap. ;-)

Cross-Slide March 6th 13 10:23 PM

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:42:40 PM UTC-6, Richard wrote:
On 3/6/2013 11:58 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

That whole survivalist shtick is a fantasy.

The survivalist mentality seems to appeal most strongly to those who

are struggling to keep their heads above water in normal times. Yet

for some strange reason they imagine doing better than average if only

they were forced into a more difficult lifestyle. Maybe they could

avoid all the waiting and blustering by cutting off a few toes and

moving into a dugout in the woods. :)

A realistic version of "Survivor," with bullet wounds, people killing

each other over a road-killed rat, deaths by exposure and gangreen?

I've only watched one reality show in my life, but I'd watch one that

was that real. d8-)

For the movie crowd, try "The Book of Eli" for a good idea of what it

might be like...

Noi need for a fictional film, about a guy finding the grateful HOT babe, and never seems to get hit by all the flying bullets... etc....

Try this Real World documentary about the hobo world, about as real world as you will get to the WROL EOLAWKI scenario....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4yzlsRPrU

Ed Huntress March 6th 13 10:57 PM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

wrote:

[...]

Oh my God, that looks funny. I hope I get time to watch it.

--
Ed Huntress

Richard[_9_] March 7th 13 12:53 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

On 3/6/2013 3:56 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
m...
On 3/6/2013 12:33 PM, whoyakidding's ghost wrote:

When I watch The Walking Dead, I can't help think that the
survivalists watching actually believe in the scenario.

As for women being grateful for rescue, stock up on toilet paper and
tampons. You'll be king!

And all your customers will have PMS and a gun.

Yep. ANd more than willing to protect "civilization".

Richard[_9_] March 7th 13 12:54 AM

On 3/6/2013 4:23 PM, Cross-Slide wrote:
[...]

I guess you didn't notice that Eli was blind?

Doug White March 7th 13 01:01 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

Ignoramus24658 wrote in
:

Just wondering how much .22 ammo one really needs. I have several
bricks of it, they take small amount of room, and should last my
lifetime.

My wife, youngest daughter and I are all active competitive target
shooters. We go through at least 10,000 a year easy.

Doug White

Jim Wilkins[_2_] March 7th 13 01:05 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
On 3/6/2013 3:56 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
m...
On 3/6/2013 12:33 PM, whoyakidding's ghost wrote:

When I watch The Walking Dead, I can't help think that the
survivalists watching actually believe in the scenario.

As for women being grateful for rescue, stock up on toilet paper
and
tampons. You'll be king!

And all your customers will have PMS and a gun.

Yep. ANd more than willing to protect "civilization".

I read in a camping book that women would be more willing to answer
the Call of the Wild if they didn't fear the Call of Nature.

Cross-Slide March 7th 13 02:06 AM

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:54:08 PM UTC-6, Richard wrote:
[...]

I most Certainly did.....
And it makes my point 10X, didn't need to give anything away about Eli, or need to use that to make the point....

The movies make the WROL EOTWAWKI scenarios look WAY more glamorous, and "Fun" than they are likely to be..

I offered a more likely glimpse into the WROL world.
Scavenging, fighting, forming alliances, getting killed..
And in the FTRA world, they are scavenging from a functional, living economy, and form only only a fraction of the population...
If you plunge the WHOLE Population into that scavenge mode, it will not be anything as glamorous, functional, or rewarding as the world depicted in the movie "The Book of Eli"

I suspect you didn't follow the link I offered.

Richard[_9_] March 7th 13 02:07 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

On 3/6/2013 7:05 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
m...
On 3/6/2013 3:56 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
m...
On 3/6/2013 12:33 PM, whoyakidding's ghost wrote:

When I watch The Walking Dead, I can't help think that the
survivalists watching actually believe in the scenario.

As for women being grateful for rescue, stock up on toilet paper
and
tampons. You'll be king!

And all your customers will have PMS and a gun.

Yep. ANd more than willing to protect "civilization".

I read in a camping book that women would be more willing to answer
the Call of the Wild if they didn't fear the Call of Nature.

That the first thing we point out to ladies when they come aboard
for a sail.

Here is the head.
Here is how you operate it.
After that they are perfectly comfortable.

Larry Jaques[_4_] March 7th 13 02:46 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 17:08:58 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 01:24:26 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 23:58:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?Larry Jaques wrote:
?? ??
[...]

g She was my sister's best friend's younger sister. I saw her 20
years later and we had some real chemistry together but she was
married and she didn't let me play doctor again. I saw her later,
after I was sober and she wasn't interested at all. Sest lavvy, wot?

Richard[_9_] March 7th 13 03:03 AM

On 3/6/2013 8:06 PM, Cross-Slide wrote:
[...]

Correct, I didn't.
But I totally agree with your description.

EOTWAWKI, I get.

What's WROL? And FTRA?

I'm not all that hip, I guess.

Larry Jaques[_4_] March 7th 13 03:11 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:56:23 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
om...
On 3/6/2013 12:33 PM, whoyakidding's ghost wrote:

When I watch The Walking Dead, I can't help think that the
survivalists watching actually believe in the scenario.

As for women being grateful for rescue, stock up on toilet paper and
tampons. You'll be king!

And all your customers will have PMS and a gun.

4 points awarded to Jim.

Martin Eastburn March 7th 13 04:28 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

Lots of grown men shoot .22LR. NBRA or the like - National Bench
shooters use .22LR on a 50 yard line into a 10 target. Varmit hunting
small rat like and such are .22LR. 4H shooters use .22LR and Pellet.

Lots of folk shoot .22LR.

Martin

Cross-Slide March 7th 13 04:47 AM

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:03:09 PM UTC-6, Richard wrote:
[...]

WROL Without Rule Of Law

The video is about the FTRA, (Freight Train Riders of America) Basically a Gang of train riders... The subject of the murder investigation, and if you do watch the video, you can learn about how violent, dangerous, and tight of a clan they can be...
And that, as I mentioned is a tiny minority, operating just outside of a (relatively) functioning society.

Take the FTRA and the characters interviewed in the story, and multiply by 40X in a SHTF situation....

No one is going to enjoy this mess.... Not something to fantasize about at all.

Back to my OP.
Even if everyone is hoarding ammo, the stores should be getting it in, and then it gets grabbed off of the shelves....

It does not look like they are even getting it into the stores, so anyone COULD grab it.

Something appears to be happening to it, between the factory, and the wholesalers.

Stormin Mormon[_8_] March 7th 13 06:36 AM

What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

I don't have a lot of contact with people who shoot. But, the sense I get is
that gun stores simply havn't gotten any resupply of 22 RF ammo, in quite a
while. Perhaps you are right, in that the ammo isn't making it to the
stores. I've read at least one ammo web site, they say they are manufaturing
full speed around the clock.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

anorton March 7th 13 07:04 AM

.

"Cross-Slide" wrote in message

Back to my OP.
Even if everyone is hoarding ammo, the stores should be getting it in, and
then it gets grabbed off of the shelves....

It does not look like they are even getting it into the stores, so anyone
COULD grab it.

Something appears to be happening to it, between the factory, and the
wholesalers.

If this is really what is happening, it sounds like distributers have
figured out from recent experience with other calibers that a shortage and
the resulting frenzy is good for business. Seems like they are fabricating
the .22 shortage by holding onto stock. Once the frenzy peaks, they will
start selling again at inflated prices. They know those who are prone to
frenzy will continue hoarding more than ever because "you never know when
there will be another shortage". People who are driven by fear are easily
manipulated by others. Be cautious of those who try to make you fearful.