Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Gun question with metal content

I need the smallest capacity magazine for a Winchester Model 100 in .308
cal. I see prices from here to there, and I think it's quite a range. Do I
need to buy a genuine vintage magazine, or is an aftermarket okay? And
which aftermarkets function as well as an original? How much today, and
where to buy?

Thanks

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 13, 9:19*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I need the smallest capacity magazine for a Winchester Model 100 in .308
cal. *I see prices from here to there, and I think it's quite a range. *Do I
need to buy a genuine vintage magazine, or is an aftermarket okay? *And
which aftermarkets function as well as an original? *How much today, and
where to buy?

Thanks

Steve

There is no metalworking content in your post.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Aftermarket mags are almost always a crap shoot. Some are very good
others are pure junk. For that rifle you will likely find only Wisner
made magazines. They are made using the factory dies and are almost the
same as factory mags (just no Winchester stamped on the bottom) Watch
out that you don't buy a model 88 bag. They look very similar but will
not feed in the 100

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 13, 10:19*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I need the smallest capacity magazine for a Winchester Model 100 in .308
cal. *I see prices from here to there, and I think it's quite a range. *Do I
need to buy a genuine vintage magazine, or is an aftermarket okay? *And
which aftermarkets function as well as an original? *How much today, and
where to buy?

Thanks

Steve

For best results, get an original. And there was only one size
magazine made by Winchester. Fortunately, the one you need is for the
caliber they made the most of. As far as WHERE, Numrich/Gun Parts may
have some, I picked mine up at gun shows. There are usually some
vendors that specialize in magazines, at least around here. You may
encounter an 8-shot made by Colyer, I got a couple of those really
cheap once($2), they didn't function. These days, I've seen some
pretty fancy prices on those, priced higher than an original factory
magazine. Current price for a factory .308 is $50-$80 when you can
find them. There are also model 88 magazines that look similar. One
can be interchanged with the other, but not the reverse and I don't
remember which way it is.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:09:03 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

[...]

One can...in many cases...fix magazines that dont work. One simply
has to understand how the working magazine works..and why the non
working one doesnt.

Unless its so poorly made that its an utter piece of ****. But Ive
made a lot of cheap mags work, at least for a time.

Gunner

1. Lie