Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A-O (American Optics) Tapers...

I am looking for an official drawing or spec sheet on a taper that isn't
listed in the Machinery Handbook and doesn't seem to exist on the
Google-search-braintrust called the Internet...

It's apparently known as the A-O (aye-ooh) taper and is short for
American Optics.

Apparently, it's a taper that has been around for 50+ years and used by
folks in the optical industry to hold specialized tooling. But because
the tooling is hand loaded in many cases (not for long if I have
something to say about it), the taper isn't all that precise.

Well... In my industry, precision is key so if a drawing(s) exist
anywhere, I'd love to compare them.

Problem is, I can't find a single one.

Any A-O taper experts out there with links to drawings?

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
[...]

If this is for a spindle on a lens grinding machine, it might be an unusual
metric taper. Lens making in the US was first done in the late 19th century
with imported German machines. Since A-O (American Optical) is one of the
older lens making companies, it is likely they used a taper compatible with
the German machines.

A-O has been split into several parts and acquired by several other
companies, so I am not sure who to ask on their side. One of the older
German lens machine companies is LOH Wetzlar which is now Satisloh. You
might try to get some information from them.
http://www.satisloh.com/home/

Where does your customer obtain his tapers? Can you ask them?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/3/2013 3:21 PM, anorton wrote:

If this is for a spindle on a lens grinding machine, it might be an
unusual metric taper. Lens making in the US was first done in the late
19th century with imported German machines. Since A-O (American
Optical) is one of the older lens making companies, it is likely they
used a taper compatible with the German machines.

A-O has been split into several parts and acquired by several other
companies, so I am not sure who to ask on their side. One of the older
German lens machine companies is LOH Wetzlar which is now Satisloh. You
might try to get some information from them.
http://www.satisloh.com/home/

Where does your customer obtain his tapers? Can you ask them?

I went to the manufacturer of his tooling and then to the manufacturer
of the reamers that make the tooling. I've got some good info, but both
companies work with each other and work from 45 year old hand drawn
prints that are taken from existing part measurements and not actual specs.

I'll try the link you provided. Thank you.