Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Threadlocking in Plastic?

I need to take the slop out of a couple Delrin devices that are subjest to
vibration. They are a bit loose in the hole they fits into. A nylon set
screw threaded into a hole tapped into the Delrin would do the trick, but
it will probably work loose pretty quickly.

It it was metal, with a metal screw, I'd just put some Locktite on it & be
done. I've seen spectacular failures with regular Locktite getting near
some plastics. They do make a special version for plastic parts, but
McMaster wants almost $20 for a bottle that will spoil long before I use
more than 10 drops.

My current thinking is to stack a pair of nylon setscrews to lock against
each other, but adjusting them will be tricky unless I bore all the way
though and can adjust the locking screw from the far side. I can try to
thread the holes _just_ deep enough to hold the screws at the right height,
but if I overshoot, I'm stuck with Plan A.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:
[...]

How about using the same thing Mauser did on rifles? Add a small lock
screw that has to be removed or turned into position befure the main
screw will turn.

like this:
http://images.turkmauser.com/webpart...ntmagscrew.jpg

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

[...]

Drill the hole a bit undersize, and run the screw in without cutting
threads, using the screw to roll its own threads.

Delrin one of the few plastics for which press fits work, according to
the datasheet. The datasheet (or app notes) tells how aggressive one
should be.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in :

http://images.turkmauser.com/webpart...ntmagscrew.jpg

I don't see how that works well for fine adjustment. I want to tweak it so
I have a slip fit with as little play as possible.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote in
:

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

[...]

I couldn't tap the Delrin with a nylon screw, but I could find an
undersized steel screw & make a tight tap. Then I could use the nylon
set screws. It might take a little experimenting, but I think that would
work OK.

Thanks!

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote in
:

Joseph Gwinn wrote in
:

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

[...]

It turns out Permatex has a plastic threadlocking compound for ~ $6 on
Amazon, so I'll probably get some of that & possible combine it with the
home made tight tap idea.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Years ago they used CA glue (super glue) on screws in plastic on R/C racing
cars. When I've done it, I assembled without the glue and then applied the
glue to the bolt head and car chassis after assembly. This holds well but
breaks away cleanly with a little screwdriver force.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:49:12 PM UTC-6, Doug White wrote:
Doug White wrote in

:

Joseph Gwinn wrote in

:

In article ,

[...]

You can also use thread locking helicoil inserts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 22:35:44 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

I need to take the slop out of a couple Delrin devices that are subjest to
vibration. They are a bit loose in the hole they fits into. A nylon set
screw threaded into a hole tapped into the Delrin would do the trick, but
it will probably work loose pretty quickly.

It it was metal, with a metal screw, I'd just put some Locktite on it & be
done. I've seen spectacular failures with regular Locktite getting near
some plastics. They do make a special version for plastic parts, but
McMaster wants almost $20 for a bottle that will spoil long before I use
more than 10 drops.

I have a 3 year old bottle of Gorilla Glue that gets used
occasionally. It spends all of it's time in a freezer between the use
times. Store opened epoxy's and glues in a freezer. Take the out just
before you want to use them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-09, Doug White wrote:
I need to take the slop out of a couple Delrin devices that are subjest to
vibration. They are a bit loose in the hole they fits into. A nylon set
screw threaded into a hole tapped into the Delrin would do the trick, but
it will probably work loose pretty quickly.

[ ... ]

My current thinking is to stack a pair of nylon setscrews to lock against
each other, but adjusting them will be tricky unless I bore all the way
though and can adjust the locking screw from the far side. I can try to
thread the holes _just_ deep enough to hold the screws at the right height,
but if I overshoot, I'm stuck with Plan A.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Threading in Delrin usually produces undersized holes, so they
grip pretty well to start with. See what happens there before going
into extra hold-downs.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/9/2012 4:35 PM, Doug White wrote:
[...]

But why NOT use Loctite?

Delrin is about as inert as plastics come.

Easy enough to try it ans see.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/12/2012 6:35 AM, Doug White wrote:
[...]

Can you slot or slit the part and use a grub screw to expand it to the
size you need?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 01:42:38 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote in
:

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

[...]

Greetings Doug,
I machine lots of Delrin and Acetron. What Joseph says about rolling
threads is correct. When I'm making parts for a customer that wants a
tight thread I just use a form tap, AKA roll tap, to tap the hole.
Often even a cutting tap will leave threads undersize enough but a
form tap always makes for tight threads.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote in
:

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

[...]

It also occurs to me that a trilobular (thread-rolling) screw might work
well in delrin. After rolling, the plastic will shrink back a bit,
capturing the rounded-triangle shaped screw enough that it won't easily
work loose.

My instinct is that threadlocking compounds like locktite will fail in
delrin, which is very slippery.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote in
:

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote in
:

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

[...]

My original concern was that it would attacke the plastics, either the
Delrin or the nylon screw. I've seen very spectacular failures when
liquid Locktite was used with polycarboante (Lexan).

I'm going to try the thread forming tap approach. Just got a couple taps
off eBay.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote in
:

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote in
:

In article ,
Doug White wrote:

[...]

If you don't already have it, Du Pont publishes some very good
application notes on how best to use delrin.

Joe Gwinn