Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What are these trailer washers called

I need to buy a couple of these thick washers. They hold a wheel to
the hub. Note that the wheel is clamped down with these, it is not
like the usual wheels that have bolt holes.

I need to know what are these washers called so I can find where to
buy them.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus29457" wrote in
message ...
I need to buy a couple of these thick washers. They hold a wheel to
the hub. Note that the wheel is clamped down with these, it is not
like the usual wheels that have bolt holes.

I need to know what are these washers called so I can find where to
buy them.

Thanks

?????

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

There is a type of thick wheel retaining washer that is crimped into a
groove, but I don't think they can be installed without the right
press dies. If a snap ring isn't adequate I'd drill and thread it for
a castle nut or adapt a split shaft collar to the groove.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-16, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus29457" wrote in
message ...
I need to buy a couple of these thick washers. They hold a wheel to
the hub. Note that the wheel is clamped down with these, it is not
like the usual wheels that have bolt holes.

I need to know what are these washers called so I can find where to
buy them.

Thanks

?????

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

There is a type of thick wheel retaining washer that is crimped into a
groove, but I don't think they can be installed without the right
press dies. If a snap ring isn't adequate I'd drill and thread it for
a castle nut or adapt a split shaft collar to the groove.

No, this is not it, sorry.

They simply go on bolts like washers, but are thick and shaped to hold
the rim.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus29457" wrote in
message ...
On 2012-09-16, Jim Wilkins wrote:

No, this is not it, sorry.

They simply go on bolts like washers, but are thick and shaped to
hold
the rim.

What Pete K suggested?
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...line/15-2.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1964-FO...-/110934251755

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29457 wrote:

I need to buy a couple of these thick washers. They hold a wheel to
the hub. Note that the wheel is clamped down with these, it is not
like the usual wheels that have bolt holes.

I need to know what are these washers called so I can find where to
buy them.

Thanks

A picture might help...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:12:58 -0500, Ignoramus29457

On 2012-09-16, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus29457" wrote in
message ...
I need to buy a couple of these thick washers. They hold a wheel to
the hub. Note that the wheel is clamped down with these, it is not
like the usual wheels that have bolt holes.

I need to know what are these washers called so I can find where to
buy them.

Thanks

?????

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

There is a type of thick wheel retaining washer that is crimped into a
groove, but I don't think they can be installed without the right
press dies. If a snap ring isn't adequate I'd drill and thread it for
a castle nut or adapt a split shaft collar to the groove.

No, this is not it, sorry.

They simply go on bolts like washers, but are thick and shaped to hold
the rim.

Call around to the welding shops who do trailers, Ig. Or to local
fastener supply houses. Measure one and tell them the dims.

--
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to buy a couple of these thick washers. They hold a wheel to
the hub. Note that the wheel is clamped down with these, it is not
like the usual wheels that have bolt holes.

I need to know what are these washers called so I can find where to
buy them.

Thanks

Rim clamp?

I think that this is it, here's a picture, I forgot to attach it

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-16, Pete Keillor wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:34:48 -0500, Ignoramus29457 wrote:

I need to buy a couple of these thick washers. They hold a wheel to
the hub. Note that the wheel is clamped down with these, it is not
like the usual wheels that have bolt holes.

I need to know what are these washers called so I can find where to
buy them.

Rim clamp?

I think that this is it, here's a picture, I forgot to attach it

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qR5JJ4wK2hm-3DnkyYIwIdxO3bjAhN7B42H-ddOjxhE?feat=directlink

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-VAC-tractor-5-rear-rim-wheel-mounting-lug-wedges-/320972544403
calls some similar things "wheel mounting lug wedges", but they are called
eccentric or non-eccentric wheel clamps, in following page.
http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48342&title=tell-me-about-this-c-wheel-and-rim

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus29457 wrote:
I need to buy a couple of these thick washers. They hold a wheel to
the hub. Note that the wheel is clamped down with these, it is not
like the usual wheels that have bolt holes.

I need to know what are these washers called so I can find where to
buy them.

Thanks

Rim clamp wedge. Be aware that different companies made different
types/sizes and shapes.
If this is for a trailer, visit a trailer sales place, with the name of
the trailer, who made the axle/hub is helpful as well.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 23:45:35 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ignoramus29457 wrote:
I need to buy a couple of these thick washers. They hold a wheel to
the hub. Note that the wheel is clamped down with these, it is not
like the usual wheels that have bolt holes.

I need to know what are these washers called so I can find where to
buy them.

Thanks

Rim clamp wedge. Be aware that different companies made different
types/sizes and shapes.
If this is for a trailer, visit a trailer sales place, with the name of
the trailer, who made the axle/hub is helpful as well.

Call your closest NAPA Auto Parts and ask which store in town handles
the Heavy Truck Parts - there will be at least one that stocks all
that stuff, learn where it is.

Plunk one of your old ones on the counter, and he'll go get the box
off the shelf and ask how many you want.

-- Bruce --

What's The Name For These Washers [email protected] UK diy 23 October 10th 08 11:48 PM
Using a boat trailer as a utility trailer? Toller Home Repair 7 May 2nd 07 02:17 PM
Do I want a trailer jack for my little trailer mm Home Repair 27 January 11th 07 10:27 PM
Tap washers john UK diy 10 January 10th 06 01:13 AM
Source for GOOD bolts, washers, copper washers, etc? Miki Kanazawa Metalworking 3 October 6th 03 11:45 PM