Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Toshiba Laptop hard drive question

"G. Morgan" wrote in message

If it still does not show up, move it to another PC and verify it
works.
You will need an adaptor to install it in a tower. USB or 2.5" -
3.5"
SATA/IDE adaptors are available.

Mine looks like this:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1207387...pes&va r=sbar
I added a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter board for its pigtail laptop drive
power connector, for drives that take over 500mA.

In XP Control Panel Administrative Tools Computer Management
Disk Management you have to Initialize (rt-click) the bare drive
before you can partition and format it.

This is more powerful, but XP's built-in controls are enough to set up
a blank wiped hard drive:
http://www.partition-tool.com/

I usually partition 100MB FAT32 for DOS and diagnostics, 15 - 25GB for
XP or 7 and the rest for user data, which then isn't lost when I
reload the operating system from a backup.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Mine looks like this:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1207387...pes&va r=sbar
I added a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter board for its pigtail laptop drive
power connector, for drives that take over 500mA.

I've got one of those. I hooked it up backwards one day and fed 5V from
the power supply to a USB port, blew the port! The lappy was still
under warrantee, so I got a new MOBO when they returned it. I just
played stupid, "I don't know what happened!".