Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rubber Sealed Collet

I was looking at various sources for a fill in collet. One of my sets of ER25s came with a 6mm instead of a 1/4. Grrr... Anyway, I was looking at collets and saw rubber sealed ER collets listed for sale. What are those for? Coolant through tooling?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

One of my sets of ER25s came with a 6mm instead of a 1/4. Grrr...

I'd be ****ed, too...using an undersized collet is a definite no-no....suggest contact the seller or buy a 1/4in collet asap

Here's a good read on the topic:

http://www.remsales.com/home/resourc...conundrum.html

You might recognize the author, Dan Murphy, who used to post here fairly often...

--of all of the machinists I've been aquainted with over my lifetime ( and there have literally been thousands ) he would easily rate into the top ten so far as expertise in the field is concerned.

rubber sealed ER collets. What are those for? Coolant through tooling?

Yep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:VJ6dnUJJfqbcMb_NnZ2dnUVZ_oudnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

One of my sets of ER25s came with a 6mm instead of a 1/4. Grrr...

I'd be ****ed, too...using an undersized collet is a definite
no-no....suggest contact the seller or buy a 1/4in collet asap

I have a 1/4" in my other set, but a couple times I have had need of two of
them at the same time in order to make a job go faster. I was ignored by
the seller, but the set was inexpensive enough. I think they were retiring,
and just made a mistake when they packed up the set and shipped it to me.
The 1/4" one probably went out to whoever bought their metric collets. LOL.