Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My Favorite Political Ad

On Jul 27, 6:39*pm, Hawke wrote:

I also think that you're a pretty darn old man and have not set foot in
any kind of place of higher learning in a very long time. So I doubt
that you and your information are very current or up to date. Your
knowledge is dated. Mine isn't. I only finished my last time in a
college classroom ten years ago. So you can see why I don't put much
credence in what you learned 50 years ago. The math may be the same but
everything else is way different now. Did you even have a computer in
one of your classrooms?

Hawke

Does teaching a college course count? I did that about the time you
were an undergraduate. so my guess is that my information is at least
as current as yours. My information is not any more dated than yours,
and probably less dated.

And as far as having computers. I took two courses in computers. One
was an undergrad course and the other was a graduate level course. I
have programed computers in machine language as well as in Cobal,
Basic, APL, C, and Fortran. Also was proficient in Atlas-L but did
not program in that. I had a personal computer before IBM came up
with the PC. And I had a IBM clone before the AT came out. And was
active in this use group before there were browsers. I connected to
the Internet using a 300 baud acoustic modem when a 300 baud modem was
considered good. I communicated with some Russians before Moscow had
a dedicated line to the Internet. I was the computer group lead at
the Saturn Ib breadboard, where IBM developed the launch programs
space shots. I have read most of Donald Knuths books. I have shmooed
memory banks.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/27/2012 6:01 PM, wrote:
On Jul 27, 6:39 pm, Hawke wrote:

I also think that you're a pretty darn old man and have not set foot in
any kind of place of higher learning in a very long time. So I doubt
that you and your information are very current or up to date. Your
knowledge is dated. Mine isn't. I only finished my last time in a
college classroom ten years ago. So you can see why I don't put much
credence in what you learned 50 years ago. The math may be the same but
everything else is way different now. Did you even have a computer in
one of your classrooms?

Hawke

Does teaching a college course count? I did that about the time you
were an undergraduate. so my guess is that my information is at least
as current as yours. My information is not any more dated than yours,
and probably less dated.

Maybe in the specific course you took but nothing else. What were you
teaching? Anything to do with math? You haven't taken a class in
anything in how many years? I mean decades.

[...]

Nice try, but I said were there any computers in the schools when you
went to them as a student. I wasn't interested in your computer
background later in life. My point was you got your education a very
long time ago. It's like getting out of medical school in 1960 as
compared to getting out in 2005. There is a big difference in what has
been learned. I've been out of school less than a decade. Care to tell
when you were last in school? The point is the same. You got educated
long ago. I don't think you are as up to date as I am except maybe in
one specific area. Which just points out your problem, you don't want to
give credit where it's due.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/29/2012 6:12 PM, Hawwke-ptooey wrote:

Nice try, but I said were there any computers in the schools when you
went to them as a student. I wasn't interested in your computer
background later in life. My point was you got your education a very
long time ago. It's like getting out of medical school in 1960 as
compared to getting out in 2005. There is a big difference in what has
been learned. I've been out of school less than a decade. Care to tell
when you were last in school? The point is the same. You got educated
long ago. I don't think you are as up to date as I am except maybe in
one specific area. Which just points out your problem, you don't want to
give credit where it's due.

Hawke

Hawwke-ptooey,

Unlike you, most people continue to learn long after their initial
education, especially among those with the higher level of intelligence
you lack.

The problem is that you have displayed so little credibility, maturity
and accumulated wisdom in your typical posts that no one takes you
seriously. You come on like a little boy trying to join an adult
conversation, but you just don't have enough depth of insight to be able
to make a useful contribution, plus you're too petty and obnoxious to
even be amusing.

You make big noises about your alleged poli sci degree, but all that you
show us is that left = good, right(as in, anyone who points out your
errors)= bad. You can't even recognize that there are valid political
stances other than left/right or that there are people like me far to
the left of you who see you for the shallow poseur that you are.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 29, 7:12*pm, Hawke wrote:

Nice try, but I said were there any computers in the schools when you
went to them as a student. I wasn't interested in your computer
background later in life. My point was you got your education a very
long time ago. It's like getting out of medical school in 1960 as
compared to getting out in 2005. There is a big difference in what has
been learned. I've been out of school less than a decade. Care to tell
when you were last in school? The point is the same. You got educated
long ago. I don't think you are as up to date as I am except maybe in
one specific area. Which just points out your problem, you don't want to
give credit where it's due.

Hawke

Actually you are wrong. There were computers in the college I went to
when I was there. And they had an entire building just for
computers. It was recently refurbished. I expect they had more
computer science course then than Chico has now. Your statement just
shows how ignorant you are.

Your argument is very poor. It is based on one not learning anything
unless one is in a school. But decent schools teach you how to
learn. The rule of thumb for electrical engineers is that half of
what they know is obsolete every seven years. So in order to just
stay at the same level you have to learn the equivalent of two years
of college every seven years.

So while you depend on what you learned over ten years ago, I keep
learning and know more than you.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/29/2012 6:28 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
[...]

David, you are stupid. Don't bother responding to anything I post until
you can come up with something actually intelligent to add because so
far all you are doing is wasting everybody's time. Your silly, and petty
little personal put downs are less than meaningless to me and they only
show your lack of brains and your inability to contribute anything
anybody cares to hear. So butt out. If you ever come up with something
clever to contribute I'd be glad to hear it, but as long as the only
thing you can do is repeat the same old drivel just stop posting. Your
stupidity is really irritating everyone with a brain.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/30/2012 4:36 AM, wrote:
On Jul 29, 7:12 pm, Hawke wrote:

[...]

So I see that you continue to keep it a secret when you last were in
college. I understand why. It was many decades ago wasn't it, you didn't
refresh your education every seven years for the last 40 years either.
The fact of the matter is I'm younger than you and I finished my
education less than a decade ago. What you don't know is very much about
what it's like in college today. Believe it or not they do teach
students not just to memorize like in the old days but they teach how to
learn and how to think critically. That's what I learned. And I've
continued to learn every day since I stopped taking formal classes.

You just don't have the cojones to give me any credit for anything. I
get that. You're a conservative, which means you over rate yourself and
you refuse to say anything positive about anyone you disagree with, as
well as making snotty little personal attacks. Well, Dan, I'm not the
least impressed with anything about you. If you were standing next to me
you would be the little man. I would be the big one. You would be the
man that is old. I would look young compared to you. I am very strong
and you are weak in comparison. You are over the hill in every way. I am
not. So I understand where you are coming from and the source of your
ill humor. Even so you just come across as a crabby, old, conservative,
that thinks he is way better than he really is. Here's a news flash for
you. You aren't what you used to be. All you are is what you are right
now, and that's not so hot, is it? You're just a cranky old fart now and
you can't hope to keep up with me. Truth hurts doesn't it?

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/31/2012 12:52 AM, Hawke wrote:
[...]

Correct - he is entirely correct about you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/31/2012 7:39 AM, George Plimpton wrote:
[...]

But then give me credit. I'm entirely correct about you being a big baby
that thinks he's great when you're lucky if you're even average. You
excel at nothing except being a hypocrite.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/31/2012 9:33 AM, Hawke wrote:
[...]

But then give me credit.

No, you deserve no credit for getting anything right. You get
everything wrong - every time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

On 7/27/2012 6:01 PM,
wrote:
On Jul 27, 6:39 pm, Hawke wrote:

[...]

Ahh, the arrogance of youth.

Grok the concept, Hawke, there is nothing _new_ in politics. It was old
when Gaius Julius forced the referendum that put him on a throne.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 31, 4:13*am, Hawke wrote:

So I see that you continue to keep it a secret when you last were in
college.

I just do not like to brag.

I understand why. It was many decades ago wasn't it,

Not many decades since I taught at a college. I do not remember
exactly when it was, but it was about 15 years ago.

you didn't
refresh your education every seven years for the last 40 years either.

The hell I did not. In college I studied vacuum tubes But right off
I was designing circuits using transistors and SCR's. So took a grad
school course at the Santa Clara on transistors. Followed that with a
course on Vacuum Tube Technology. I that for the hell of it. Thought
it was going to be about the kinds of tubes used in radios and TV's.
But it was not. It was about TWT's , BWO's , Klystrons, Great
course . We did things as estimate the size of the wire in a 10 ma
fuse.
Next I had to learn about IC's , and about that time I went to work in
Alabama working on NASA stuff and had to learn how computers actually
work. Not just the simple stuff like how memory works, but stuff like
how instruction decode works. And had a job where I had to figure out
why a computer was not working and fix it.

And later I had the job of figuring out what was going on when a
missile systems test failed. Sounds easy. Just your ordinary missile
scientist stuff, but the test program was written in Atlas -L and run
on a CDC computer that was an emulator for a older CDC computer.

The fact of the matter is I'm younger than you and I finished my
education less than a decade ago. What you don't know is very much about
what it's like in college today.

Well I did teach college level courses , not all that long ago. And I
went to my 50 th reunion and read the alumnae magazine. And have
friends from my college days that are professors. One of my freshman
year room mates is a math professor, Another good friend was a
theoretical physist. Another friend from school is a French Lit
professor, and yet another friend went to Med School for two years
before transferring to Molecular Biology , getting a Phd with Watson
as his advisor and then doing some post grad with Crick at Oxford or
maybe it was Cambridge.

Believe it or not they do teach
students not just to memorize like in the old days but they teach how to
learn and how to think critically. That's what I learned. And I've
continued to learn every day since I stopped taking formal classes.

They never did teach students to just memorize.

[...]

I am older that you, but you are either going to get as old as I am or
you are going to die. The truth hurts , doesn't it.

I do not say much positive about anyone, whether I agree with them or
not. But I am not weak compared to you. I am much tougher than you
are. I do not whine as you do. And I am more intelligent than you
are , always have been, and I expect I always will be.

Dan

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/31/2012 9:44 AM, George Plimpton wrote:

Correct - he is entirely correct about you.

But then give me credit.

No, you deserve no credit for getting anything right. You get
everything wrong - every time.

At least the dumbest stumblebum in the place thinks that. So we don't
pay no damn attention to that kind of ****. We understand where it comes
from. A dumb **** of the highest order.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/31/2012 4:03 PM, Hawke wrote:
On 7/31/2012 9:44 AM, George Plimpton wrote:

Correct - he is entirely correct about you.

But then give me credit.

No, you deserve no credit for getting anything right. You get
everything wrong - every time.

At least the dumbest stumblebum in the place thinks that.

Everybody thinks it, Hawwwke-Ptooey, you dumb ****. Haven't you ever
noticed that *no one*, even from your own side, ever agrees with you?
You're just dumber than a pallet of bricks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/31/2012 9:49 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

[...]

There's a lot of truth to that. But it has nothing to do with Dan acting
like his education, which he got many decades ago qualifies him as an
expert on anything today. He says that he knows so much more than me but
I'm saying he is old and his education is not worth much today. And he
won't tell how long ago he graduated. If you knew it was fifty years ago
I think that would affect your opinion on how much he is up to date or
out of date now. Just a thought.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 31, 7:08*pm, Hawke wrote:

There's a lot of truth to that. But it has nothing to do with Dan acting
like his education, which he got many decades ago qualifies him as an
expert on anything today. He says that he knows so much more than me but
I'm saying he is old and his education is not worth much today. And he
won't tell how long ago he graduated. If you knew it was fifty years ago
I think that would affect your opinion on how much he is up to date or
out of date now. Just a thought.

Hawke

You use such poor logic. You are saying that the amount of time since
graduation decreases the worth of the education.

By this logic Joseph Stieglitz is not nearly as good as you as he got
all his degrees years before you got yours. So I guess his education
is not worth much today compared to your education.

I am giving up on you again. Maybe after you start posting some
things about metalworking, I will change my mind. It really depends
if your on topic posts make any sense.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

How would acquiring a body of knowledge 50 years ago that has been
substantially unchanged for several millennia make one "out of date"?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 1, 8:49*am, bobm46 wrote:
On 7/31/2012 5:27 PM, wrote: On Jul 31, 4:13 am,.

Dan, out of curiosity what CDC computers are you talking about? When I
worked for CDC at Valley Forge I built and tested various tape drives. I
used series 160, 1700, and 3000 computers. I also had to program test
loops in all of them using machine language.

The computer being emulated was a 160. The computer that was doing
the emulation was a 1700 if I recall correctly. It has been a
while. As I remember the 1700 used semiconductor memory for the
instruction set and core memory for the program. It has been a
really long time since those days.

Dan