Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Texas Republicans are opposed to critical thinking

ROTFLMAO

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d=pm_local_pop

Or: http://goo.gl/PFCg6

``We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS)
(values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs
that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery
learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of
challenging the students fixed beliefs and undermining parental
authority.''

Then, they say

`We believe that because the Permanent School Fund is not paid by
taxpayers that the principle balance should be safeguarded''

I think that they meant "principal balance".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus3314" wrote in message

ROTFLMAO

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/texas-gop-rejects-critical-thinking-skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html?tid=pm_local_pop

Or: http://goo.gl/PFCg6

``We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS)
(values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs
that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery
learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of
challenging the students fixed beliefs and undermining parental
authority.''

Then, they say

`We believe that because the Permanent School Fund is not paid by
taxpayers that the principle balance should be safeguarded''

I think that they meant "principal balance".

I'm not sure what they were teaching about (HOTS) but some of the teachings,
in a nutshell, are "don't believe what your parents taught you, believe us
instead", then they get students to stop believing established facts and
push revisionist history and other lies. They simply brainwash the sense
out of students and fill (indoctrinate, not educate) them with nonsense.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/10/2012 8:39 PM, RogerN wrote:
[...]

They do brainwash students. They wash out the incorrect and irrational
things their uneducated parents taught them and replace them with the
truth and with real facts. How dare they do that, right?

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 1:04 PM, Hawke wrote:
[...]

It's good to see you back playing the fool, Hawkie.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 11:40 AM, Richard wrote:
[...]

Sorry but I can't allow RogerN's ignorance and religious nonsense to go
unanswered. Whenever I see things that are clearly wrong I have to set
people straight. You always think I'm wrong but I'll match my facts with
yours any time you want.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 10:24 PM, Hawke wrote:

Sorry but I can't allow RogerN's ignorance and religious nonsense to go
unanswered. Whenever I see things that are clearly wrong I have to set
people straight. You always think I'm wrong but I'll match my facts with
yours any time you want.

Hawke

Sorry guy.
I don't keep a special set of "facts" like you do.

And maybe you didn't notice.
Count me among believers in regards to what you call
religious nonsense. It's right there on my web page.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/cross.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 10:24 PM, Hawke wrote:

Sorry but I can't allow RogerN's ignorance and religious nonsense to go
unanswered. Whenever I see things that are clearly wrong I have to set
people straight. You always think I'm wrong but I'll match my facts with
yours any time you want.

Hawke

All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes,.... All right and well,
not only some, but all, having a high opinion of himself; for this is to
be understood of a self-righteous man, who is pure in his own eyes,
though not cleansed from his filthiness, and so fancies every way he
walks in, and everything he does, is pure; this is owing to want of
knowledge of the impurity of his nature; was he sensible of this, he
would see that his best righteousness is as filthy rags and to his
ignorance of the spirituality of the law, which, was he acquainted with,
he would find, on comparing himself with it, that he and all he did was
polluted and unclean: some read the words, "all the ways of a pure man
are before his eyes": the eyes of the Lord, he sees them, and approves
of them; so Aben Ezra; and to this agrees the Septuagint version, "all
the works of an humble man are manifest with God"; and the Arabic
version, "all the works of an humble man are clean before God"; but the
former reading and sense seem best;

but the Lord weigheth the spirits; searches and tries the hearts; he
sees, knows, and observes the principles of all actions, and can as
exactly adjust the nature and quality of them, as a man, with a pair of
scales in his hands, can tell precisely the weight of anything put into
them; the Lord weighs the spirits, or hearts, from whence all actions
flow, by his omniscience, and accordingly judges of them by that, and
not by the outward appearance; and he weighs all actions by his law, in
the balance of the sanctuary, where they are found wanting, and come
greatly short of that purity and perfection pharisaical persons imagine
there is in them.

Gills

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
Proverbs 16:2
All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, But the LORD weighs
the motives.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 11:04 AM, Hawke wrote:
[...]

Which is why the public schools should be dismantled.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 4:36 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
[...]

They should have dismantled them before you went to one. They wasted
their time on you. You didn't learn anything.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 8:32 PM, Hawke wrote:
[...]

They never should have been put in place.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message ...

On 7/10/2012 8:39 PM, RogerN wrote:

snip
I'm not sure what they were teaching about (HOTS) but some of the
teachings,
in a nutshell, are "don't believe what your parents taught you, believe
us
instead", then they get students to stop believing established facts and
push revisionist history and other lies. They simply brainwash the sense
out of students and fill (indoctrinate, not educate) them with nonsense.

RogerN

They do brainwash students. They wash out the incorrect and irrational
things their uneducated parents taught them and replace them with the truth
and with real facts. How dare they do that, right?

Hawke

Here's a real deal example of how this works. An person I was communicating
with on another newsgroup once went to seminary, IIRC he was interested in
being a Priest or something like that. He learned from liberal Bible
scholars and came away not believing anything. In the discussion I
mentioned the book of Isaiah and he wanted me to research about the book of
Isaiah, he wanted me to find out some "real facts" about Isaiah that he had
learned by his critical thinking liberal professors.

But there was a complete FAIL of what he had learned from the liberal false
teachers. What the liberals taught about the book of Isaiah, written by 2
different authors many years apart with half of it much more recent, had
already been PROVEN WRONG by the finding of the nearly complete book of
Isaiah in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

The conclusion drawn by the "critical thinking" liberals was COMPLETELY
WRONG. Their "critical thinking" was wrong from the beginning, not just
after being proven wrong by the Dead Sea Scrolls. How many millions of
other libtarded "Critical Thinking" conclusions are also completely wrong
even though they may not have been proven wrong yet? Hint: their "CRITICAL
THINKING" was WRONG from the beginning, not just after being proven wrong.

So how com these "Critical Thinkers" want kids to question everything taught
to them by their parents but want them to believe everything their liberal
teachers tell them? Why doesn't every student have to prove that light
travels 186,000 miles per second? Because Liberals want to rewrite history,
they need to get people to stop accepting true history so they can sell
their lies.

The bottom line, these "Critical Thinkers" try to teach kids to reject truth
and accept liberal lies. Sorry you bought it.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 4:36 PM, RogerN wrote:
"Hawke" wrote in message ...

[...]

Here's the thing Roger. See, you look at everything you hear from what
you call liberals as being untrustworthy, and you constantly look to
find anything you can that is wrong. You're overly critical of any
information that comes from anywhere that you deem to be "liberal". But
when it comes to any scripture you are completely uncritical. You accept
all of it as if it is factual. You don't question it anywhere near the
way you question everything that comes from teachers or the media. You
start off by accepting whatever is written in religious texts as being
the truth and you start off denying everything else you read as being
lies. If you ever looked at scripture with the disbelief you do at what
liberals say you would have a lot less faith in your religion than you
do. No wonder you never question scripture. It would shake your faith.
Couldn't have that.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message ...

[...]

**** off, you pompous condescending know-nothing. You don't know your
flabby doughy ass from your florid puffy face.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus3314 wrote:

ROTFLMAO

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rejects-critic
al-thinking-skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html?tid=pm_local_pop

Or: http://goo.gl/PFCg6

``We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS)
(values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs
that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery
learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of
challenging the students fixed beliefs and undermining parental
authority.''

Then, they say

`We believe that because the Permanent School Fund is not paid by
taxpayers that the principle balance should be safeguarded''

I think that they meant "principal balance".

I'd be careful here. We have no idea what exactly in in HOTS, and are
instead being presented with argument by ridicule.

And I got off the train when they claimed that critical thinking cannot
be taught. Nonsense. It has been taught for millennia. The Ancient
Greeks called it Rhetoric, which was a core part of the Liberal
Education ever since, and it is taught to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetoric

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/10/2012 6:31 PM, Ignoramus3314 wrote:
ROTFLMAO

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d=pm_local_pop

Or: http://goo.gl/PFCg6

``We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS)
(values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs
that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education

This is *NOT* what it is being presented to be. It is *NOT* the case
that the Texas Republicans oppose children acquiring critical thinking
skills, and this deliberate misrepresentation by the idiot Post writer
shows a disgusting left-wing bias as well as an appalling lack of
comprehension on her part.

The opposition to the HOTS instruction rather has three sound bases:

1. Pedagogical appropriateness - there is a very lively debate among
educators as to the appropriate level to begin teaching HOTS. A
substantial part of the opposition is not due to any ideological
opposition to HOTS, but rather because it is thought that it is
being taught too early, to children who haven't achieved standard
subject mastery.

2. It *is* being included as part of an "outcomes-based education"
curriculum, and that is opposed by a lot of people as being a
dumbing-down of education.

3. While so-called "critical thinking" skills are supposed to be an
important part of HOTS, the program really is about so-called
"values clarification", which is left-wing code for discarding
traditional values simply because they *are* traditional values,
rather than the ethical relativism preached by leftists.

This smear by the Post has already generated a response in Wikipedia:

The Texas Republican Party expressed their opposition to the
teaching of certain HOTS by including the following item in their
2012 Party Platform [3]:

"Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher
Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical
thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a
relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning)
which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of
challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining
parental authority."

However, the final wording of this item was evidently a 'mistake'
according to Republican Party of Texas Communications Director
Chris Elam who said, in an interview with talkingpointsmemo.com,
that the plank should not have included the phrase 'critical
thinking skills' and it was not the intent of the subcommittee to
indicate that the RPT was opposed to critical thinking skills".
When asked to clarify the meaning of the item he said, "I think the
intent is that the Republican Party is opposed to the values
clarification method that serves the purpose of challenging
students beliefs and undermine parental authority" [4].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_...hinking_skills

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 2:45 PM, George Plimpton wrote:

[...]

Whatever the truth may be you can't blame a rational person for thinking
that in Texas they are opposed to teaching children to think critically.
That sounds just like something they would do in Texas. They wouldn't
teach the kids to think but they would teach them scripture. Sounds like
Texas to me.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 8:28 PM, Hawke wrote:
[...]

You're not a rational person if you believe that. The evidence doesn't
support the belief.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/11/2012 11:03 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
[...]

Most of the country sees Texas as a laughing stock. They are goofy. They
have a terrible record on the environment and on health care, and on
poor people. They suck. They do not act rationally. Now that I think of
it you should move there. An irrational thinker like you belongs in Texas.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/12/2012 11:39 AM, Hawke wrote:
[...]

Irrelevant. A rational person still *cannot* believe that Texas
Republicans oppose critical thinking ability. What they oppose is the
left-wing teachers' unions and "educrats" trying to sneak in
anti-western values under a fake name. Every right thinking person
opposes that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message ...

On 7/11/2012 2:45 PM, George Plimpton wrote:

snip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_...hinking_skills

Whatever the truth may be you can't blame a rational person for thinking
that in Texas they are opposed to teaching children to think critically.
That sounds just like something they would do in Texas. They wouldn't teach
the kids to think but they would teach them scripture. Sounds like Texas to
me.

Hawke

The problem is what you/they are calling it, it's not thinking critically,
it's better described as "liberal fantasy insanity". So the subject should
really read "Texas Republicans are opposed to liberal fantasy insanity".
Other suitable names for what liberals consider "critical thinking" include
stupidity, stinking thinking, lies, distortion, spin, BS, etc......

Like I explained to you about the book of Isaiah, liberals using their
"critical thinking" decided about half of Isaiah was written by a different
author at a much later date. They figured the fulfilled prophecies in
Isaiah must have been written after the fact because they couldn't handle
the truth, so they choose to make up their lie and believe it. But then the
book of Isaiah from the Dead Sea Scrolls was dated before the time the
liberals said part of Isaiah was written. So it ends up the conservatives
that didn't fall for the so-called "critical thinking" were right, and the
liberals and their revision were found out to be wrong.

But for you "critical thinkers": How is it that "critical thinkers" think
they know more about something that happened in history than the first hand
eye witnesses that were there? You claim the stories handed down through
the ages are wrong, how did those stories get believed by the people of the
day? In the future you will be right, many things that are taught today in
the liberal education system will be known to be wrong, if fact people are
already writing about the lies:

http://www.amazon.com/Liberal-Lies-A...ed+in+sc hool

http://www.amazon.com/The-Patriots-H...ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/Conservative-C...ref=pd_sim_b_4

http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Events-T...ref=pd_sim_b_6

http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-Histor...ref=pd_sim_b_7

http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Record...ref=pd_sim_b_8

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
"Hawke" wrote in message ...

[...]

So, assuming you are correct in your summary, does pushing back the date of
authorship completely disprove the theory that the book was written by
several people at different times? Or is more likely that the original
estimate of when various sections were written was incorrect?

I am not a biblical scholar and I do not ever intend to be one. But I just
googled this issue and it seems many (if not most) biblical scholars believe
it was written by many people at different times. They must have their
reasons. A critical thinker who was interested in the subject would evaluate
those reasons trying to see if they are valid or flawed, and whether they
are stronger or weaker than the evidence pointing in the opposite direction.
Your diatribe against those scholars makes me think that is not the approach
you took. I suspect you instead latch onto one shred of evidence that points
to what you want to believe. One of your lines above is very telling. You
say, "How is it that "critical thinkers" think they know more about
something that happened in history than the first hand eye witnesses that
were there?" That argument assumes the conclusion as its premise.
Hopefully, that is the kind of fallacy they would teach you to watch for in
a class on logic or critical thinking.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/13/2012 1:27 AM, anorton wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
"Hawke" wrote in message ...

[...]

As usual, Roger got things mixed up. As you said, exactly who wrote the
text that are in the old testament are completely unknown. How many
different writers contributed to what was in each book is anyone's
guess. The Dead Sea Scrolls don't prove anything except that someone
wrote what was in them a very long time ago. The veracity of any of it
is something that is pretty much unknown because it's about all there is
in writing from that time. All it does is confirm that what is in the
old testament is pretty much the same in the modern Jewish old testament
as was written in the Dead Sea Scrolls. It doesn't prove any of what is
in the scrolls is true or not.

It's in the new testament that the writers were known to be Greek
clerics that were written more than 100 years after the death of Jesus,
and little is known about how many or who they were. Anyone who looks
carefully into any of the religious texts finds the same thing. They
prove nothing and they make all kinds of wild claims and assertions. You
either have to accept them as true on faith or you don't. I've looked at
a lot of them and my conclusion is they were all written by men and no
supernatural being had anything to do with any of them.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"RogerN" wrote in message
om...
snip
But for you "critical thinkers": How is it that "critical thinkers"
think they know more about something that happened in history than the
first hand eye witnesses that were there? You claim the stories handed
down through the ages are wrong, how did those stories get believed by
the people of the day? In the future you will be right, many things that
are taught today in the liberal education system will be known to be
wrong, if fact people are already writing about the lies:

snip

RogerN

So, assuming you are correct in your summary, does pushing back the date
of authorship completely disprove the theory that the book was written by
several people at different times? Or is more likely that the original
estimate of when various sections were written was incorrect?

The problem is that if Isaiah wasn't written at different times, it would
mean the liberals are likely wrong about some of their other beliefs.
Basically the liberal way is "truth be damned" and rearrange the truth to
fit their world view. Something that doesn't fit in their beliefs simply
can't be true, so they make up all and any kind of idea to make what was
written fit their beliefs. Since parts of Isaiah so accurately foretold
events that happened later, the liberals decided those prophecies in Isaiah
must have been written after it happened, in other words they fabricated
lies that fit their unbelief. But then book of Isaiah was found that dated
before the time that the prophecies were fulfilled, so the liberals had to
fabricate new lies, no problem for them.

I am not a biblical scholar and I do not ever intend to be one. But I just
googled this issue and it seems many (if not most) biblical scholars
believe it was written by many people at different times. They must have
their reasons. A critical thinker who was interested in the subject would
evaluate those reasons trying to see if they are valid or flawed, and
whether they are stronger or weaker than the evidence pointing in the
opposite direction. Your diatribe against those scholars makes me think
that is not the approach you took. I suspect you instead latch onto one
shred of evidence that points to what you want to believe. One of your
lines above is very telling. You say, "How is it that "critical thinkers"
think they know more about something that happened in history than the
first hand eye witnesses that were there?" That argument assumes the
conclusion as its premise. Hopefully, that is the kind of fallacy they
would teach you to watch for in a class on logic or critical thinking.

So why do they believe it was written at different times?

It could have been written by Jack after climbing his magic bean stalk, but
why believe that about it?

So there are religious writings (the original book of Isaiah) protected by
religious people, why or how would someone get new writings to be included
and why would they even want to? To me it doesn't matter if it was written
by Kermit the frog, what matters is what is written and when it was written.
Liberals try to confuse by making unfounded claims, only foundation for
their claims is their unbelief.

Here's another example with American History. (thanks to Gunner)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfEdJNn15E

After Gunner posted this, the liberals on the group attacked David Barton,
etc. Not a one of them could refute that the Bible was printed by U.S.
Congress in 1782 for use in our schools. Not one of them could deny the
paintings on the wall that contradict their beliefs. Not one of them could
deny that Thomas Jefferson (the one who wrote "separation of church and
state") went to church for 8 years in the US Capitol building. They could
only make unfounded accusations and attacks on the messenger. Don't like
the true message, attack the messenger, that's what they did. I'm a logic
programmer and know bad logic when I see it, liberalism is very bad logic.

RogerN