Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Huge T-slotted table

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:45:56 -0500, Ignoramus15748
wrote:

I am guessing it is 3x12 feet, I have not seen it yet.

http://www.premierarg.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000022218

I am wondering, how much do those weigh and are they still used
industrially.

One of my customers uses similar tables for mounting large bench
centers and other inspection tooling. I've also seen them used in fab
shops as setup tables. Yours looks as though it has coolant troughs
around the outside and some associated plumbing.

I've seen them sell at auction for between what you paid and as much
as $2000 for one in pristine condition. These folks will build to
order something comparable.
http://www.americangrinding.com/divisions/brute/

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am guessing it is 3x12 feet, I have not seen it yet.

http://www.premierarg.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000022218

I am wondering, how much do those weigh and are they still used
industrially.

One of my customers uses similar tables for mounting large bench
centers and other inspection tooling. I've also seen them used in fab
shops as setup tables. Yours looks as though it has coolant troughs
around the outside and some associated plumbing.

I've seen them sell at auction for between what you paid and as much
as $2000 for one in pristine condition. These folks will build to
order something comparable.
http://www.americangrinding.com/divisions/brute/

Ned, thanks. That American grinding makes bases, whereas this, I
think, is a T slot table, not a base for something, no?

The one I won, which I have not seen yet, is probably at least
somewhat rusty, look at the puddles nearby.

What do those things weigh?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am guessing it is 3x12 feet, I have not seen it yet.

http://www.premierarg.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000022218

I am wondering, how much do those weigh and are they still used
industrially.

One of my customers uses similar tables for mounting large bench
centers and other inspection tooling. I've also seen them used in fab
shops as setup tables. Yours looks as though it has coolant troughs
around the outside and some associated plumbing.

I've seen them sell at auction for between what you paid and as much
as $2000 for one in pristine condition. These folks will build to
order something comparable.
http://www.americangrinding.com/divisions/brute/

Ned, thanks. That American grinding makes bases, whereas this, I
think, is a T slot table, not a base for something, no?

American Grinding will make t-slot tables as well as plain Blanchard
ground tables. The coolant troughs on yours is what reminded me of the
American Grinding tables. I have one of their small tables that
originally had some sort of assembly station on it that I use for a
TIG welding table.

The one I won, which I have not seen yet, is probably at least
somewhat rusty, look at the puddles nearby.

What do those things weigh?

I've seen cast tables both solid and cored, so it's hard to tell even
with dimensions. And I can't tell if the top is a casting or made from
plate. But the frame is not awfully big, so if I had to guess I'd say
3000 to 4000 pounds.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-06-10, Ned Simmons wrote:
[...]

0.28 pounds per cubic inch of steel is a useful approximation to
remember; if the slotted part is 3x12 feet (5184 square inches) it
will run about 1450 pounds per inch of thickness. On the other hand
if it's smaller, say 30"x10' (3600 square inches), then about 1000
pounds per inch of thickness. So 1 to 1.5 tons for the top part, if
it's 2 inches thick and solid, and maybe a ton for the supporting table.

--
jiw

Slotted T angle bars Romanise UK diy 7 October 2nd 08 07:58 AM
Slotted Dovetails Jeff Woodworking 7 November 14th 07 05:45 AM
need very small slotted screws [email protected] Metalworking 8 February 12th 05 10:24 PM