Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rattler got here

My industrial vibrator got here yesterday. It is quite unimpressive. It
weighs 17#, but exerts nearly 950# of force at 4,000 impacts per minute, or
66 per second. I could not wait to bolt it to my welding table, and try it
out, but it was late, so I didn't. This is going to be interesting. I
shall share things as they progress. I have never worked with anything like
this, except maybe a jackhammer, or needle gun on a smaller scale.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
My industrial vibrator got here yesterday. It is quite unimpressive. It
weighs 17#, but exerts nearly 950# of force at 4,000 impacts per minute, or
66 per second. I could not wait to bolt it to my welding table, and try it
out, but it was late, so I didn't. This is going to be interesting. I
shall share things as they progress. I have never worked with anything like
this, except maybe a jackhammer, or needle gun on a smaller scale.

Steve

What are you doing with it? I made a vibratory table for placement of
refractory castable and it's impressive that appropriate vibration can
transform a relatively solid stodgy mass into a relatively fluid one,
bit like an earthquake and San Francisco springs to mind.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote

What are you doing with it? I made a vibratory table for placement of
refractory castable and it's impressive that appropriate vibration can
transform a relatively solid stodgy mass into a relatively fluid one, bit
like an earthquake and San Francisco springs to mind.

It is to be used on an underwater gold dredge head. The idea is to utilize
the phenomenon of liquefaction to liquefy the soil around the 4' probe,
float gold loose, and then suction to bring out the gold from beach sands,
and light gravel alluvial deposits. It is wholly based on liquefaction,
what you speak of in the SF quake. If you have ever panned gold, this is
what happens when you fill your pan with dirt, then shake it until it goes
fluid. At that moment, most any gold in the mix will fall to the bottom,
having a specific gravity of over 19. Lead is 11. The word liquefaction
was first applied in the description of the failure of a dam in California
in the 19th century.

I got it from Chicago Vibrators. Google it, and shop through their site.
Easy to navigate, just click specifications, and you will find the info you
seek. . They have them from $110 to $6,000. I got the 225 BV, that has
960 # of impact and 4,000 vibrations per minute. About $360 out the door
with coating, additional plumbing, and shipping. That is mid size range.
They do have smaller, plus many other types of vibrators using different
techniques to achieve vibration. They are used in industry mainly to get
stuff going in hoppers, and during unloading processes where "stuff" tends
to settle and stick together. Pay attention to the noise ratings, as some
are very noisy, but there is a particular model that is much quieter.

It is cast steel. It has ONE moving part, and if you get the one with the
coating, you don't have to use an additional oiler with it. You do have to
use filtered air to keep dirt out. Mine is only 17# total weight. I can't
wait to bolt it to my welding table, and hit it with about 60 psi of air and
see what happens. They say they are good to last for several years. They
mount with two bolts, and a NPT hose fitting.

As an auxiliary use, I may hook it to two plates for shelling pecans. Total
overkill, but fun nonetheless, and I may learn something in the process, as
well as hulling two 55 gal barrels of pecans and walnuts. If it works, I
will buy a smaller one, and next year, go into the pecan business, as a lot
of people around here would let you clear their property for free of pecans.
Pick up with a vacuum, then hull them. An idea for a cash sideline.

Bill Schultz did me a fine job, having to add a couple of modifications to
mine. If you go there, ask for him, and he will take the time to answer
your questions and guide you to a selection. Please do mention me, as I
told him I would steer any business his way. Keep us posted.

Now, I think I'll go out to the shop and putter around.

The gambrel hoists came today, so I will start hanging sheeting on the
outside of the shop soon, and be able to enjoy working inside in a cool
shady windless place.

Steve