Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel to aluminum never sieze?

My friend Scott drives a Buick station wagon, with aluminum wheels. He
bought the small lugnuts cause he likes them better. I figured that was a
mistake, and it was. They fused to the wheels. And being short, there is no
way to get a good wrench on.

After about 20 hours of using a die grinder, he did manage to get them off,
and replace the studs. Got the real lug nuts, the tall ones with the chrome
cap.

Must have had an "air head" put them on, at one time. When we did the brake
job a few weeks ago, one wheel needed a breaker bar and a lot of weight to
get the lugs to loosen.

What's a good never sieze to put between steel lugs, and aluminum rims? I'd
used white lithium grease spray, cause I had some. I suspect they were also
over torqued.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , cayoung61
says...

My friend Scott drives a Buick station wagon, with aluminum wheels. He
bought the small lugnuts cause he likes them better. I figured that was a
mistake, and it was. They fused to the wheels. And being short, there is no
way to get a good wrench on.

After about 20 hours of using a die grinder, he did manage to get them off,
and replace the studs. Got the real lug nuts, the tall ones with the chrome
cap.

Must have had an "air head" put them on, at one time. When we did the brake
job a few weeks ago, one wheel needed a breaker bar and a lot of weight to
get the lugs to loosen.

What's a good never sieze to put between steel lugs, and aluminum rims? I'd
used white lithium grease spray, cause I had some. I suspect they were also
over torqued.

The kind the auto parts stores sell works fine. Bunch of different
brands.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Always a good thought. Go to the auto parts store, to get materials for
working on the auto.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

What's a good never sieze to put between steel lugs, and aluminum rims?
I'd
used white lithium grease spray, cause I had some. I suspect they were
also
over torqued.

The kind the auto parts stores sell works fine. Bunch of different
brands.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 4, 7:46*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Always a good thought. Go to the auto parts store, to get materials for
working on the auto.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

in.local...

What's a good never sieze to put between steel lugs, and aluminum rims?
I'd
used white lithium grease spray, cause I had some. I suspect they were
also
over torqued.

The kind the auto parts stores sell works fine. *Bunch of different
brands.

There's a type with aluminum in it that's probably the best for the
job. Copper may react with the alloy wheels and corrode them with
salt water exposure, not sure about the nickel type. Graphite is
probably not a good idea, either. And your grease idea is much better
than bare nekkid. It's not liable to wash off, anyway. Need to get
some behind the rim, I've had more alloy rims stick to the drum/disc
than lug nuts fail to come off.

A torque wrench is almost a must-have with alloys, over-torque one, it
cracks and you get to buy a new one. The tire chain I deal with may
use air tools to get them off, but always uses hand lug wrenches for
replacing and torque wrenches for final tightening. Have never needed
a cheater when removing a tire and rim they put on.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Your tire place sounds like they are skilled, and caring. I'm not sure who
was the last person to replace the lugs in this case. But, I do know one
needed a breaker bar and a lot of oompah to get the lugs loose.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message

There's a type with aluminum in it that's probably the best for the
job. Copper may react with the alloy wheels and corrode them with
salt water exposure, not sure about the nickel type. Graphite is
probably not a good idea, either. And your grease idea is much better
than bare nekkid. It's not liable to wash off, anyway. Need to get
some behind the rim, I've had more alloy rims stick to the drum/disc
than lug nuts fail to come off.

A torque wrench is almost a must-have with alloys, over-torque one, it
cracks and you get to buy a new one. The tire chain I deal with may
use air tools to get them off, but always uses hand lug wrenches for
replacing and torque wrenches for final tightening. Have never needed
a cheater when removing a tire and rim they put on.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05/06/2012 03:23, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There's a type with aluminum in it that's probably the best for the
job. Copper may react with the alloy wheels and corrode them with
salt water exposure, not sure about the nickel type. Graphite is
probably not a good idea, either. And your grease idea is much better
than bare nekkid. It's not liable to wash off, anyway. Need to get
some behind the rim, I've had more alloy rims stick to the drum/disc
than lug nuts fail to come off.

Probably not a single answer, the issue is corrosion including
electrochemical corrosion. Different answers for Alaska, Arizona, or if
you drive it on the beach.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"newshound" wrote

Probably not a single answer, the issue is corrosion including
electrochemical corrosion. Different answers for Alaska, Arizona, or
if you drive it on the beach.

LPS-3 is better than nothing, but it doesn't stop the aluminum from
corroding and it picks up dirt. It does appear to keep the steel from
sticking to it.

jsw