Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ethanol concerns bring customers to more costly "pure" gas stations

On 5/23/2012 7:28 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 23 May 2012 10:06:24 -0400, "C. E. White"
wrote:

"Leroy N. wrote in message
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/16...-customers-to-
more-costly-pure-gas-stations/?intcmp=trending

York County, Pa. - When looking to fill up your tank, would you drive
farther to pay more? Randy Hake's customers are doing just that, since
he's the only gas station in York County, Pa., selling "pure" ethanol-free
fuel.

"I get 20.1 miles to the gallon, in-town driving. I used to get 13," said

This is probably not true, well unless something esle was drastically wrong
with car that she had fixed.

5% difference in fuel economy can be directly attributed to lower
energy density of ethanol in E10 fuel. That translates to about 1 MPG
difference on a car that delivers a nominal 20mpg.

With unleaded regular gas, my '07 Subaru Outback Sport gets 28+ mpg on a
fairly even mix of street and expressway driving. When I use scam gas
with 10% ethanol, I get 24- mpg. Scam gas is now all that's available in
Wisconsin.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 23, 10:08*pm, "David R. Birch" wrote:
On 5/23/2012 7:28 PM, wrote:

On Wed, 23 May 2012 10:06:24 -0400, "C. E. White"
*wrote:

"Leroy N. *wrote in message
.. .
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/16...ring-customers....
[...]

David- Hide quoted text -

I usually get 3-5 mpg more when traveling after filling with
uncontaminated gas in the middle of NE, closest place I can get it.
The stations here are required to use ethanol in the summer because of
bogus studies saying that oxygenated gas reduces pollution, they just
fill the tanks all year round with the mix. They used to be required
to use MTBE and that melted a lot of fuel systems. The b-in-l says he
had some older chainsaws melt down when fed alcohol-contaminated gas,
fuel systems weren't made to take it. He worries about some seldom-
used old boat motors, too.

We aren't going to save the world by burning food. Corn alcohol is a
transfer scam.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 06:07:07 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On May 23, 10:08Â*pm, "David R. Birch" wrote:
On 5/23/2012 7:28 PM, wrote:

On Wed, 23 May 2012 10:06:24 -0400, "C. E. White"
Â*wrote:

"Leroy N. Â*wrote in message
.. .
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/16...ring-customers...
more-costly-pure-gas-stations/?intcmp=trending

York County, Pa. - Â*When looking to fill up your tank, would you drive
farther to pay more? Randy Hake's customers are doing just that, since
he's the only gas station in York County, Pa., selling "pure" ethanol-free
fuel.

"I get 20.1 miles to the gallon, in-town driving. I used to get 13," said

This is probably not true, well unless something esle was drastically wrong
with car that she had fixed.

Â* 5% difference in fuel economy can be directly attributed to lower
energy density of ethanol in E10 fuel. Â*That translates to about 1 MPG
[...]

Too True
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Leroy N. wrote in message
[...]

Well, since "gasoline" is a very loosely defined product, there can be
more than a 5% difference in fuel economy between 2 different brands,
or samples, of "unadulterated" gasoline.
Aviation Gas is the only "liquid motor fuel" with a close tolerance
specification - and it is enforced.

LPG Motor fuel also has a specification which is usually met.