Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 'Your' Car Won't Be After 2015

On Sun, 06 May 2012 23:25:22 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

RD Sandman wrote:

That sounds like Arizona. When they instituted a drivers license
endorsement for motorcycle around the mid 60s, I had already been riding
for several years as an enduro and off road rider so I arrived at the
testing site pretty well experienced on how to handle a bike.

Come to think of it, a few years later when I left Arizona for Florida,
that tikki followed me and ended up on my Florida DL. I came back to
Arizona three years later and then left again after three years for
Southern California for about three years. They carried that tikki
forward from Arizona and put it on my California license. Then when I
went to South Florida for thirteenyears, Florida added to my license
again. After all that time, I am back in Arizona and......let me
look.......yep, there it is under endorsements. Hmmmm, it has been well
over 40 years since I have been tested either on paper or road.
Interesting....yet I have been licensed to drive on public roads and
streets all that time. Government efficiency.......ya' gotta love it....

I had to take a driving test when I moved to Florida. It was on a
closed course, and one part was a turn around in a 'driveway'. The
woman giving me the test told me that I failed, because I didn't look to
my right before I backed into the 'street'. I didn't even look at her
as I told her. I looked before I turned into the driveway. This
'driveway' is at the end of a dead end 'street' with a 10' chain link
fence across it, and a very thick stand of trees behind that that
nothing short of a bulldozer could get through. Then I told her that I
worked as an engineer at a TV station, and asked if she'd like to meet a
couple reporters and give an intervies for the Orlando TV news. All of a
sudden, I had passed.

50+ years ago, my job entailed hauling a lab trailer to various work
sites to carry out test work for the provincial government. The local
examiner checked me out on the tow vehicle and gave me a pass. When I
picked up the lab trailer, the headquaters examiner took me out for a
drive with the trailer in tow. At one point as I appoached a "T"
intersection with a yeild sign, I came to a full stop; the examiner
implied that I had lost marks for stopping even though I explained
that the tall hedges out to the cross street curb prevented a clear
view either way and in my opinion pesented a hazard that needed
removal. What an A**hole that guy was as confirmed by several people
when we got back to the yard.
I still carry that old "equipment operator's permit" (sentimental
reasons).