Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Cook County commercial RE taxes

Let's say that I file an appeal with Cook County and my "2011 assessment"
is reduced by X% (this is is news of the day for me as of today).

Does it mean that my future tax bills will be reduced by X% also?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 19, 10:05*pm, Ignoramus5528
wrote:
Let's say that I file an appeal with Cook County and my "2011 assessment"
is reduced by X% (this is is news of the day for me as of today).

Does it mean that my future tax bills will be reduced by X% also?

Maybe.

I will let others respond before I chime in with details since CA
differs greatly in regards to IL in property tax collection.

The short answer is "always appeal"..all they can say is no.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:05:52 -0500, Ignoramus5528
wrote:

Let's say that I file an appeal with Cook County and my "2011 assessment"
is reduced by X% (this is is news of the day for me as of today).

Does it mean that my future tax bills will be reduced by X% also?

The easy answer is yes, but it depends on what the value of the RE is
-and- how Cook County values it -and- why there is a reduction -and-,
usually, the phase of the moon and how you're holding your mouth.

Here in Oregon, the value of the land went down, the value of the
property on it went down, and the tax due went up, all without any
change in the tax rate. You tell ME how they did it. I've no clue.

What does the Cook County Clerk say? They, or a real property
attorney, might know for sure.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Let's say that I file an appeal with Cook County and my "2011
assessment" is reduced by X% (this is is news of the day for me as of
today).

Does it mean that my future tax bills will be reduced by X% also?

The easy answer is yes, but it depends on what the value of the RE is
-and- how Cook County values it -and- why there is a reduction -and-,
usually, the phase of the moon and how you're holding your mouth.

Here in Oregon, the value of the land went down, the value of the
property on it went down, and the tax due went up, all without any
change in the tax rate. You tell ME how they did it. I've no clue.

It's because when whoever was paying Sizemore or McIntire or whoever
decided that measure 5 hadn't hacked up schools enough and they needed to
be cut off _above_ the knees, they did measure 47 or 49 or whatever,
which said that your assessment could rise at no more than 3%/year or
something like that.

So you have two assessments: what the county thinks your house will sell
for, and what the county can tax you on. Even after '08, your house is
still worth more than the "what they can tax you on" assessment, so your
taxable property value continues to go up.

If you don't like the effect of the property tax measures that you voted
on, you could have listened to these issues when they were being
discussed, while you still had a chance to vote "no".

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Let's say that I file an appeal with Cook County and my "2011 assessment"
is reduced by X% (this is is news of the day for me as of today).

Does it mean that my future tax bills will be reduced by X% also?

These laws differ by state. Up here, property values have all went
down. But government spending has went up. Plus our fearless leaders
in St.Paul have shifted the tax burden from sales and income taxes to
property taxes. (All a very clever shell game - too much to explain)

Long story short, values have went down about 30% over the last few
years and property taxes are 25% higher.

I know you like the imposter in chief, but the problem starts there.
Its made worse in congress, the state governors and legislatures
finish the job.

You're now a businessman, get used to government in your face and in
your pockets.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus5528" wrote in message
Let's say that I file an appeal with Cook County and my "2011 assessment"
is reduced by X% (this is is news of the day for me as of today).

Does it mean that my future tax bills will be reduced by X% also?

If you get a reduction it is valid until the next assessment. When i
had my shop in chicago the taxes usually doubled after each assessment.
I appealed each time using an attorney that specialized in property tax
issues. The taxes did get reduced on appeal every time.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus5528" wrote in message
Let's say that I file an appeal with Cook County and my "2011 assessment"
is reduced by X% (this is is news of the day for me as of today).

Does it mean that my future tax bills will be reduced by X% also?

Roughly, but it is not a straight line.

The Assessment is only the first part of the equation.
In Cook County we use a sliding percentage scale of market value of
different property types to determine assessed value.
State law requires that the net assessed value of the county equals 33% of
market value, so every year they double check the county's figures and come
up with a multiplier called the equalization factor. The same number is
applied to all property in the county
Your Equalized assessment determine how big a slice of the tax pie you pay,
but the size of the pie has yet to be determined.
The tax levy is divided across the net Equalized assessed value of the
district.
Your taxes will depend on how much the total levy is (if it goes up than
yours might go up)
And second on what percentage of the total assessed value of the district
your property represents.
Your property might have gone down 10%, but if every other property went
down by 10% then your percentage of the total levy remains the same.
Your property might have gone down 10%, but if every other property went
down by 20% then your taxes are going up.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-20, azotic wrote:
"Ignoramus5528" wrote in message
Let's say that I file an appeal with Cook County and my "2011 assessment"
is reduced by X% (this is is news of the day for me as of today).

Does it mean that my future tax bills will be reduced by X% also?

If you get a reduction it is valid until the next assessment. When i
had my shop in chicago the taxes usually doubled after each assessment.
I appealed each time using an attorney that specialized in property tax
issues. The taxes did get reduced on appeal every time.

Right, but is the reduction proportional to the reduction in "assessed
value"?

I am trying to figure out how much my taxes will be reduced. The
assessment was reduced by 58%.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-20, azotic wrote:
"Ignoramus5528" wrote in message
Let's say that I file an appeal with Cook County and my "2011
assessment"
is reduced by X% (this is is news of the day for me as of today).

Does it mean that my future tax bills will be reduced by X% also?

If you get a reduction it is valid until the next assessment. When i
had my shop in chicago the taxes usually doubled after each assessment.
I appealed each time using an attorney that specialized in property tax
issues. The taxes did get reduced on appeal every time.

Right, but is the reduction proportional to the reduction in "assessed
value"?

I am trying to figure out how much my taxes will be reduced. The
assessment was reduced by 58%.

See pauls explanation. The reductions are not linear.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-20, azotic wrote:
"Ignoramus5528" wrote in message
Let's say that I file an appeal with Cook County and my "2011
assessment"
is reduced by X% (this is is news of the day for me as of today).

Does it mean that my future tax bills will be reduced by X% also?

If you get a reduction it is valid until the next assessment. When i
had my shop in chicago the taxes usually doubled after each assessment.
I appealed each time using an attorney that specialized in property tax
issues. The taxes did get reduced on appeal every time.

Right, but is the reduction proportional to the reduction in "assessed
value"?

I am trying to figure out how much my taxes will be reduced. The
assessment was reduced by 58%.

See pauls explanation. The reductions are not linear.

Best Regards
Tom.

Tom, and Paul, thanks. I looked very hard for good explanations and
did not find any.

I understand that the assessment is only a part of the formula, but,
it looks to me that the rest of the formula is multiplied by this
assessment, so the reduction of my taxes, compared to what they would
be had I not appealed, may be proportional?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-20, azotic wrote:
[...]

First, let me congratulate you. 58% is a man sized reduction.

The next question is, "when was the last triennial reassessment?"
If 2011 was a reassessment year, you have to look at the your 2010
assessment to get a feel of what to expect. If your reduction only countered
an increase of the same amount then you may still be on the hook for same
amount as last year. (maybe even more depending on what everyone else's
assessment did).

If 2011 was not a reassessment year, than chances are your reduction is
greater than the aggregate reduction for the district. It is quite possible
that you have paid all your taxes in the first installment.

The bottom line is that you will not know for sure until the second
installment comes, and I can guarantee that will be late.
In the best case scenario, if 2011 was not a reassessment year, I would
still put aside 10 to 20 percent of the previous years taxes to cover
myself.

If 2011 was a reassessment year, I would sock away the full amount and still
hope for the best. Based on the residential market value in Berkeley, the
median price has gone down by 40% since the last assessment. That takes a
lot of the steam out of your 58%.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-20, azotic wrote:
[...]

Paul, I just looked up the Cook County assessor website.

It just was updated overnight, as the 2011 number is the updated
(reassessed) number. I did check it yesterday, also.

It says, today:

* 2010 Board of Review Certified $107,713
* 2011 Board of Review Certified $69,999

Yesterday, it said something else:

* 2010 Board of Review Certified $107,713
* 2011 Board of Review Certified $164,331

In other words, the 2011 assessment changed from $164,331 to $69,999.

I just want to understand what it means for my future taxes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/20/2012 12:32 PM, Ignoramus12745 wrote:

In other words, the 2011 assessment changed from $164,331 to $69,999.

I just want to understand what it means for my future taxes.

As Paul says, they'll either go up, go down or stay the same.
Probably the best you can hope for is nearly the same one way or the other.

It's indeterminate until the whole schmear goes through the equalization
process and the final levy rate is set.

The problem is that despite the valuation drop, it's not likely the
overall requirement for the revenue raised will decrease much if at all
so they will set the overall net rate (levy rate*equalized value of
revised assessment) to produce the target revenue and when that comes
down it's likely your share will still be about the same as well in
absolute dollars. It'll just be a different set of numbers that when
multiplied together will amount to the same thing. All totally
unnecessary excepting for the way the laws are written that require the
machinations to provide the pretense that tax rates are responsive to
market values.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-20, azotic wrote:
[...]

Ok, so 2011 was a triennial reassessment year.

I scanned a random sample of a half dozen properties in that area and their
assessments went down by an average of 30.4% from 2010 to 2011. Yours went
down by 34.6%.

Assuming the levy stays about the same and my sample was big enough, your
taxes will be about 9% lower than they were last year.

It is a good thing you appealed (you should appeal every time you can). The
preappeal increase coupled with the decrease in everyone else's assessment
meant that your taxes would have gone up to 2.2 times their 2010 level.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-20, azotic wrote:
"Ignoramus12745" wrote in
message
On 2012-04-20, azotic wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry, I looked at this again and I must have transposed some digits on
the calculator. The savings should be about 6% over last years taxes not 9%.
PKD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul, just a little update. I have better numbers now.

2010 taxes were $33,299.

The projected 2011 taxes are going to be close to $21,460.

Had I not appealed the valuation, 2011 taxes would become
approximately $49,900 (scary).

The good news is that, at closing transaction, I received credit for
those 2011 taxes at full amount, but will pay a lesser amount.

On 2012-04-20, azotic wrote:
"Ignoramus12745" wrote in
message
On 2012-04-20, azotic wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:33:21 -0500, Ignoramus8341
wrote:

Paul, just a little update. I have better numbers now.

2010 taxes were $33,299.

The projected 2011 taxes are going to be close to $21,460.

Had I not appealed the valuation, 2011 taxes would become
approximately $49,900 (scary).

The good news is that, at closing transaction, I received credit for
those 2011 taxes at full amount, but will pay a lesser amount.

Yikes. $21,000 dollars corresponds to a $3.5 million actual market
value in this town.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Paul, just a little update. I have better numbers now.

2010 taxes were $33,299.

The projected 2011 taxes are going to be close to $21,460.

Had I not appealed the valuation, 2011 taxes would become
approximately $49,900 (scary).

The good news is that, at closing transaction, I received credit for
those 2011 taxes at full amount, but will pay a lesser amount.

Yikes. $21,000 dollars corresponds to a $3.5 million actual market
value in this town.

Residential or commercial? I am not defending Cook County (spit), just
wondering.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Paul, just a little update. I have better numbers now.

2010 taxes were $33,299.

The projected 2011 taxes are going to be close to $21,460.

Had I not appealed the valuation, 2011 taxes would become
approximately $49,900 (scary).

The good news is that, at closing transaction, I received credit for
those 2011 taxes at full amount, but will pay a lesser amount.

Yikes. $21,000 dollars corresponds to a $3.5 million actual market
value in this town.

Residential or commercial? I am not defending Cook County (spit), just
wondering.

Residential and commercial real property pay the same rate here in
Maine. Business equipment is also taxed at the same rate, though there
are programs that effectively exempt some equipment.

--
Ned Simmons