Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The difference between accuracy and precision Was The HawkePtooey Shuffle

On 3/18/2012 11:18 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 15:07:19 -0700, wrote:

wrote:

On 3/17/2012 10:47 AM, jk wrote:
wrote:

... As for accuracy in other areas it depends on what the subject is.
On some things I don't attempt to be precise. When it's important to be
accurate I am.

Telling me you probably don't know the difference between accurate
and precise.
jk

I'd ask you to tell me the difference between the two if you were in
person, to see if you actually know.

Yeah, I guess you DID have to go look it up. I have known the
difference for ages.

Of course for me the difference is important in many areas, for you
perhaps not.

No point doing it here because all
you would do is look up the definitions on the internet. Regardless of
the difference in the meaning of those words, as if there is a
functional one, a newsgroup like this is not a place where precision is
necessary. Ever!

I seriously doubt that would be the consensus here.
I disagree with you, and I will let others weigh in if they like.

This is a "recreational" group not a professional one.

So what.
If you understood what that means then you would also know that a
recreational level of accuracy is all that is necessary when in a group
like this one.

OK, you are frequently BOTH inaccurate and imprecise

Plimpton doesn't seem to know that and thinks he is the
editor of a scientific journal, which he is not. Or he thinks I am to be
held to that kind of standard, which I'm not.

You don't like being held to any standard, even your own.
jk

The Parakeet simplys stands in his cage and screeches raucously and with
little intelligence. This and a mirror proves that he is better than
anyone else.

Poor ******* is absolutely ****ing nutz..but..shrug

Thank you once again. Any time you give your approval to something I
know it's worthless ****. So when you say something is bad I know it's
good. Your criticism is the seal of approval that I am looking for. It
guarantees I'm doing something right. Now why don't you and your new pal
Pimpton get into a lying contest. At least it will be competitive event.

Hawke