Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 6mm BallScrew In Service (pic)

http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/...20Axis%20b.JPG

Well, there it is. It's a combination of design to fit and machine to fit
techniques, but it screams up and down at 40 IPM. (Fastest I can run
without changing the kernel speed.) I expected to be able to stall it very
easily with the stepper running that fast, but I was unable to stall it by
bracing my hand against the table and bushing upward with the axis rapiding
downwards. (I think the G450 must switch from micro steps to full steps
over as certain step rate. I'll have to ask Marcus about that.) Now I
probably need to map the screw. Repeatability is very good, but accuracy is
pretty bad at different distances along the screw. I never had to map a
screw before. Funny that the first ball screw I install has the worst
accuracy of any screw I've used. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/...20Axis%20b.JPG

Well, there it is. It's a combination of design to fit and machine to fit
techniques, but it screams up and down at 40 IPM. (Fastest I can run
without changing the kernel speed.) I expected to be able to stall it
very easily with the stepper running that fast, but I was unable to stall
it by bracing my hand against the table and bushing upward with the axis
rapiding downwards. (I think the G450 must switch from micro steps to
full steps over as certain step rate. I'll have to ask Marcus about
that.) Now I probably need to map the screw. Repeatability is very good,
but accuracy is pretty bad at different distances along the screw. I
never had to map a screw before. Funny that the first ball screw I
install has the worst accuracy of any screw I've used. LOL.

Just for the heck of it I bumped the kernel speed up to 65khz and I got 53
IPM on rapids without stalling on a 25.4 TPI (1mm) screw. That's nuts. I'm
tempted to bump it up again just to see where it does stall.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Oops. 45khz. Not 65.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Cut my first mold with the new setup. Wow! It looks really good. I admit
I took several steps to stiffen up the Z axis and spindle mount all at the
same time, but this little ball screw is awesome. Oh, and when I measured
travel with my dial indicator (to start mapping the screw) it was only off
about .0004 per inch at the worst spot. Actually less near the end were it
will do most of its work. Nowhere near as bad as I thought when I quick
checked it with my caliper. Its still not any better than C7, but its not
as bad as I first feared. I haven't checked backlash on it yet, but linear
movement is pretty good. I now have a machine I can smaller prototype molds
on while the Taig is grinding its way through the "bigger" stuff. I never
trusted the little machine before.

Still kills me I am running 50800 steps per inch and over 50 IPM with good
holding/moving force and no stalling.

Ballscrew rework RoyJ Metalworking 8 July 6th 08 10:24 PM
ATTN: Renaud your HP 8116A service manual - "HP8116A Service.pdf" (33/33) 9.5 MBytes yEnc JW Electronic Schematics 1 January 2nd 08 03:50 PM
ATTN: Renaud your HP 8116A service manual - "HP8116A Service.pdf" (23/33) 9.5 MBytes yEnc JW Electronic Schematics 0 January 2nd 08 10:57 AM
Olympus V-90 Digital Voice Recorder. Service manual or advice to enter its service mode Peter Electronics Repair 0 February 9th 05 06:07 PM