Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default SOPA and PIPA, if they pass say good by to the internet as we knowit..

I don't normally post off topic, but I feel this is worth it. I also
apologize for not putting OT: in the header, I didn't want peoples
filters blocking this one.

Just browse over to wikipedia and you can find out all the information
you want about it.. But in a nut shell:

SOPA and PIPA represent two bills in the United States House of
Representatives and the United States Senate respectively. SOPA is short
for the "Stop Online Piracy Act," and PIPA is an acronym for the
"Protect IP Act." ("IP" stands for "intellectual property.") In short,
these bills are efforts to stop copyright infringement committed by
foreign web sites, but, in our opinion, they do so in a way that
actually infringes free expression while harming the Internet. Detailed
information about these bills can be found in the Stop Online Piracy Act
and PROTECT IP Act articles on Wikipedia, which are available during the
blackout. GovTrack lets you follow both bills through the legislative
process: SOPA on this page, and PIPA on this one. The Electronic
Frontier Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to advocating
for the public interest in the digital realm, has summarized why these
bills are simply unacceptable in a world that values an open, secure,
and free Internet.