Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Jewelry question..Titanium or tungsten rings?

I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

I would think that one good whack & a carbide ring would be in pieces.
Given the kind of work you do, a whack is inevitable. Do they tell you
what grade of carbide? Some are more impact resistant than others.
Carbide will also be heavy. I think you can achieve a similar look with
hematite. It may be no more rugged, but I suspect it's cheaper, so you
could buy spares...

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-07, Gunner Asch wrote:
I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

I have a tungsten carbide wedding ring, and it is totally great. I do
not hit it with hammers or anything, and it holds up just fine, does
not get scratched etc.

Note that cheap rings are made with cobalt binder (like end mills) and
the better ones are made with nickel binder, which is better in
jewelry applications.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-07, Doug White wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote in
:

I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

I would think that one good whack & a carbide ring would be in pieces.
Given the kind of work you do, a whack is inevitable.

That good whack will also break your finger.

Do they tell you
what grade of carbide? Some are more impact resistant than others.
Carbide will also be heavy. I think you can achieve a similar look with
hematite. It may be no more rugged, but I suspect it's cheaper, so you
could buy spares...

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/7/2012 5:43 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Gunner, try posting on the rec.crafts.jewelry group. It is a moderated
group and lightly read but the moderator can answer your questions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 7, 12:43*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? *My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

Gunner

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch

Having had an earring pulled out I'm going to say tattooed ring if
it's forever. Titanium probably sounds more high tech than carbide.
Looks like alloy determines hardness.
I love metal though.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/7/2012 4:43 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

Gunner

As a machinist, I only wear rings on fingers I don't need.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 02:43:01 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:

I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

I kind of view rings and other jewelery as an opportunity for power
equipment to rip and/or burn my fingers off. The only reason that I wear
my wedding band when machining is because it won't come off without
cutting something up (yes, kids, your joints _do_ swell up as you age!).

My hair was down to my waist when I was in college -- once I got out and
had time for machining and leaning over running engines again, my hair
got short, quick.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 10:59:04 -0600, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 02:43:01 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:

I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

I kind of view rings and other jewelery as an opportunity for power
equipment to rip and/or burn my fingers off.

And if you play with high-voltage electrical devices, they're great
terminal probes for self-electrocution!

I lasted about three months wearing my wedding ring. My wife
understands...

As for titanium rings, Ok. They're light, moderately
scratch-resistant, and, if they're the right alloy, they'll stay
bright.

I can't imagine why one would want a tungsten-carbide wedding band,
but whatever turns you on. If you could use it for striking a fire,
scaling a fish, or something else useful, I'd consider it. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

The only reason that I wear
my wedding band when machining is because it won't come off without
cutting something up (yes, kids, your joints _do_ swell up as you age!).

My hair was down to my waist when I was in college -- once I got out and
had time for machining and leaning over running engines again, my hair
got short, quick.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 12:12:58 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

I would think that one good whack & a carbide ring would be in pieces.
Given the kind of work you do, a whack is inevitable. Do they tell you
what grade of carbide? Some are more impact resistant than others.
Carbide will also be heavy. I think you can achieve a similar look with
hematite. It may be no more rugged, but I suspect it's cheaper, so you
could buy spares...

Doug White

http://www.titaniumkay.com/titanium-tungsten.aspx

They are indicating that the good ones are alloyed with nickle rather
than cobalt and that makes em tougher.

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 09:59:58 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 12:12:58 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
m:

[...]

Maybe. It depends on the grade of tungsten carbide with nickel binder.
Some are tougher than cobalt-bound, others are not.

The reason to use nickel is that it's resistant to acidic corrosion
from sweat. Cobalt will corrode in acidic environments.

It may be, but it's unlikely, that jewelry companies select a
particularly tough grade. Their main issues are related to brightness.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

As a maker of titanium jewellery, including finger rings,
This metal in is pure form is ductile, so it will bend if you get it
caught in a door or vice.
Tungsten carbide is much harder but not as durable as titanium, tho it
will probably hold its polish longer.
Nickel is now banned in jewellery here in the Uk as well as throughout
Europe on account of the fact it causes alergy problems.
If you can get say a bit of titanium bar, why not turn one up yourself?
If it comes out ok youl find that other folk will want one of your rings
too!!

Ted.
In Dorset
in UK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 19:57:47 +0000, Ted Frater
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Thats what I was considering, turning out a titanium ring myself.

Tungsten isnt as durable? Everything Ive read so far says that the
nickle alloy for some reason, when alloyed with tungsten, doesnt
effect even the nickle sensitive.

????

I thought about an iron ring, then did a bit of research and found its
status with Engineers..so backed away quickly from that idea.

I do metalworking, so was thinking about something unusual as a symbol
of the craft/hobby.

Would you have any other suggestions?

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 07/01/2012 10:43, Gunner Asch wrote:
I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Are we sure it's really tungsten carbide as in carbide inserts? Good old
AISI T1 tool steel (what we call 18-4-1 in the UK) is 18% tungsten, and
the hot hardness comes from the fact that there's a lot of tungsten
carbide in there. But I bet it makes a pretty durable ring.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 13:50:01 -0800, the renowned Gunner Asch
wrote:

I thought about an iron ring, then did a bit of research and found its
status with Engineers..so backed away quickly from that idea.

Unless it's a pinkie ring, I don't think that's a problem, but iron
rings tend to leave nasty rust stains on your finger. Many of us have
stainless steel rings these days.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

That's easy: http://www.kinektdesign.com/product-gear-ring.php

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-07, Gunner Asch wrote:
I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

This was why *I* was thinking that the carbide would be
*preferred*. If something happens to pinch the finger and the ring
between two hard points, the titanium could crush onto the finger and be
pretty much unremovable until you removed the finger. The carbide would
break, so removing it is automatic.

For the usual gold alloy rings, there are special pliers which
have a split jaw which hooks under the ring, and a key turning a small
circular saw blade in the other jaw to cut through it and allow it to be
removed. Given how titanium work hardens, I don't think that would
work.

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

"Not...not"? Why not? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I thought about an iron ring, then did a bit of research and found its
status with Engineers..so backed away quickly from that idea.

Unless it's a pinkie ring, I don't think that's a problem, but iron
rings tend to leave nasty rust stains on your finger. Many of us have
stainless steel rings these days.

As a tech..I was indeed thinking about a pinkie ring, just to keep it
out of the way. Ive got a bunch of tourquoise rings...though not as many
of the GOOD STUFF that I had before I got hit 15 yrs ago or so..but its
bulky for everyday wear.

Gunner

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 02:18:03 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

OMG thats Way way cool!!!

More than I can afford by a long way..but way freaking cool!! When I
get back on my feet again..Ill get one of those!!
Saved!!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8 Jan 2012 05:25:05 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2012-01-07, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

My days of being married..are long over. Shrug At least...for t he
foreseeable future.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I thought about an iron ring, then did a bit of research and found its
status with Engineers..so backed away quickly from that idea.

Unless it's a pinkie ring, I don't think that's a problem, but iron
rings tend to leave nasty rust stains on your finger. Many of us have
stainless steel rings these days.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The engineers iron ring has a fair amount of tradition and ceremony
involved with it. Up until the mid seventies, it was made from a beam from
the original Quebec Bridge. They were hand hammered and left a brown oxide
stain on your finger. I lost my first one which was the original wrought
iron. As I was living in Australia by then, I got a friend who was also an
engineer to pick one up for me and bring it over next time he came here. By
this time they were making them of stainless.He picked one big enough to
wear on my thumb! I went to a number of jewlers to get it made smaller, but
none would touch the job. I took it into the workshop at the plant where I
was engineerin manager, and asked my best tradesman to cut it and TIG it up.
He did an excellant job and I've worn it for about the last 20 years. The
weld is only visible from the inside but as I can no longer take it off, it
doesn't matter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/7/2012 12:43, Gunner Asch wrote:
I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

How about getting a ring wire-edm-cut from a large
tungsten-carbine mill or lathe tool bit.. With such
a stiff material, I'd make it a "C" shaped, with a notch
at center of C, so if something horrible happens, it
might break before your finger..

Of course, requires a cheap edm place to be worth it..
With a fancy wire-edm, the outside could have almost
any 3d shape - like one side rectangular- and other
sine-wave or..

Kristian Ukkonen.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 02:18:03 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

ALERT!

Doug, that website hosed my browser, opened 6 windows, moved the
window off the screen, and limited my mouse movements. Please check
it immediately.

I closed all apps, rebooted, and when I brought up Firefox again, it
acted the same way. Something dark & hinkey is going on on your page.
With that site closed out, everything works just fine. I ran a couple
of A/V programs and the computer checks out clean and free from virii
and malware.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

suggestions?
yes
As metal workers, there are a no of symbols, that represent us and our
tools.
the first is the hammer,
the second is fire
the 3rd is the hand
the 4 th is the eye
and the last is the heart.
bring all these together and youve the basis of creative spirit you need
to make something original.
So,
to implement these symbols, the easiest way is to take some small cold
chisels both round and rectangular ends, say 4in long
anneal them in a propane flame or cutting torch, whatever you might
have handy,
hold them in a vice cutting end up
get some needle files a junior hack saw and some small drills
and file/cut up the designs you think represent the above.
Harden and temper to a straw colour.
The easiest one to start with isthe eye
file the outside shape first, then drill a small depression in the middle.
Try it out as you go on lead.
Then cut a strip of copper say 1/4in wide, by 3in long or even lead to
start with , easiest to experiment with, then hammer the designs into
the metal.
Whwn youve done a few youll see what im getting at.
THEN,
get some titanium sheet, say 30/40,000 tho in thick, cut to width and
length, file up to round off all edges, more on finishing another
time, then hammer in the design sequence you fancy.
whne youve done that, dress the ring strip around to fit the ring size
you have in mind.
then finish it with polishing wheels etc.
you can hold the ring against the polishing wheels with the ring on a
piece of tapered broom handle.
i made a set of 50 of these punches with all sorts of designs, used them
on hundreds of rings and bracelet sets
it become addictive!!
Let us know how you get on
As for the news group
rec. crafts .jewelry,
Peter is the moderator and a working professional jeweller and goldsmith.
Regrettably the site is virtually dead.
Pity as it was good some 10 yrs ago.
Ted.
hope you follow.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 09:21:35 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 02:18:03 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
m:

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Worked fine for me, but Im running Linux..VBG

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 14:44:45 +0200, Kristian Ukkonen
wrote:

On 1/7/2012 12:43, Gunner Asch wrote:
I was browsing Ebay..and found both titanium and tungsten carbide rings,
both wedding and plain mens bands.

Which will hold up longer? My experience with carbide is its a bit on
the fragile side..is this true with rings?

Something Ive never thought about before..and was thinking of buying
one. Not..not a wedding band.....

How about getting a ring wire-edm-cut from a large
tungsten-carbine mill or lathe tool bit.. With such
a stiff material, I'd make it a "C" shaped, with a notch
at center of C, so if something horrible happens, it
might break before your finger..

Of course, requires a cheap edm place to be worth it..
With a fancy wire-edm, the outside could have almost
any 3d shape - like one side rectangular- and other
sine-wave or..

Kristian Ukkonen.

Not..not a bad idea. But most carbide endmills are pretty fragile...they
dont have nickle as an alloy, as I recall

Ill ponder on that one. I have access to large (busted) carbide endmills
occasionally and can come up with the stock.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 02:18:03 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:
I do metalworking, so was thinking about something unusual as a symbol
of the craft/hobby.

Would you have any other suggestions?

That's easy: http://www.kinektdesign.com/product-gear-ring.php

ALERT!

Doug, that website hosed my browser, opened 6 windows, moved the
window off the screen, and limited my mouse movements. Please check
it immediately.

I closed all apps, rebooted, and when I brought up Firefox again, it
acted the same way. Something dark & hinkey is going on on your page.
With that site closed out, everything works just fine. I ran a couple
of A/V programs and the computer checks out clean and free from virii
and malware.

Worked fine for me, but Im running Linux..VBG

Worked fine for me on Firefox -- but I'm running Sun's Solaris
10. No serious problems, but the video would not play on Opera on the
same OS.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Not..not a bad idea. But most carbide endmills are pretty fragile...they
dont have nickle as an alloy, as I recall

Ill ponder on that one. I have access to large (busted) carbide endmills
occasionally and can come up with the stock.

Gunner

Then again the carbide in masonry bits, rock drills and log skidder saws is
pretty tough.

jsw

TC is a great material for all sorts of tough jobs,
BUT
will someone correct me if im wrong,?
isnt this material made by powder technology then sintred ? to shape?
then ground with diamond to set the cutting angles
so if youve a suitable sized piece to make a ring how are you going to
machine it?
the only thing harder is diamond.
This material is a bit outside of my tech field.

Ted.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-09, Ted Frater wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I can sell you a shipload of diamond wheels
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 18:15:40 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
Not..not a bad idea. But most carbide endmills are pretty fragile...they
dont have nickle as an alloy, as I recall

Ill ponder on that one. I have access to large (busted) carbide endmills
occasionally and can come up with the stock.

Gunner

Then again the carbide in masonry bits, rock drills and log skidder saws is
pretty tough.

jsw

True enough..but isnt most of that sort of carbide cemented into steel
backings?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 05:26:36 +0000, Ted Frater
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Not..not a bad idea. But most carbide endmills are pretty fragile...they
dont have nickle as an alloy, as I recall

Ill ponder on that one. I have access to large (busted) carbide endmills
occasionally and can come up with the stock.

Gunner

Then again the carbide in masonry bits, rock drills and log skidder saws is
pretty tough.

jsw

TC is a great material for all sorts of tough jobs,
BUT
will someone correct me if im wrong,?
isnt this material made by powder technology then sintred ? to shape?
then ground with diamond to set the cutting angles

Right.

so if youve a suitable sized piece to make a ring how are you going to
machine it?

Someone mentioned EDM. It's very slow in carbide, but it is done.

the only thing harder is diamond.
This material is a bit outside of my tech field.

Ted.

It is not practical to machine or shape carbide at home, unless you
have a pretty good EDM.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , huntres23
@optonline.net says...

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

How about using a lapidary rig and diamond abrasive?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 08:35:07 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article , huntres23
says...

wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Note from the discussion above that the suggestion is to carve a ring
out of a solid piece of carbide. I don't know how much diamond that
would take, but my guess is that it would make a down payment and a
few monthly payments on a nice new truck. g

Diamond is great for sharpening and honing carbide tools. Using it to
drill and bore a hole for your finger, and to shape the outside of a
part, sounds a little over the top.

FWIW, silicon carbide will grind carbide, too. I don't know if it
actually cuts the tungsten carbide itself, or strips it out of the
metal matrix. It uses up a lot of silicon carbide wheel life and it
doesn't cut the tungsten carbide very cleanly.

But I don't think that's practical, either.

EDM has been used for cutting tungsten carbide since the mid-'70s.
Some wirecut machines are optimized for it, but they're pretty slow.
Still, it does work, and it's used to make practically all of the
leadframe dies in existence, as well as dies for most small electronic
bits punched with carbide dies in high-speed presses.

Any way you do it, it would be exorbitantly expensive to carve a WC
ring out of the solid.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/9/2012 16:37, Ed Huntress wrote:
EDM has been used for cutting tungsten carbide since the mid-'70s.
Some wirecut machines are optimized for it, but they're pretty slow.
Still, it does work, and it's used to make practically all of the
leadframe dies in existence, as well as dies for most small electronic
bits punched with carbide dies in high-speed presses.

Any way you do it, it would be exorbitantly expensive to carve a WC
ring out of the solid.

Around 5 mm3/min machining rate for tungsten carbine with wire-EDM..
If the ring is 5mm thick and the edm leaves 0.35mm cut, that would be
0.35mm * x * 5mm = 5 mm3/min - x = 2.8 mm/min
The slice of 5mm thick disk from the D30rod would take some time too.
15mm*15mm*pi*0.35mm /(5 mm3/min) = 49min (per cut, 2 cuts)
So it could be done in a day.. Couple of hours to get the disk,
a few hours to finish the ring. Not unreasonable at all.
The machine with X,Y,U,V could do a fancy outside shape.

Of course, that requires a friend with wEdm doing it for you..
The real hourly cost of wEdm is not THAT horrible if there is no
profit to be made for that day of machining (on sunday).

BTW: I recently picked a used wEdm from ebay.. Brother HS-100..
http://www.mh-erodiertechnik.com/pdf...s100/hs100.pdf
Nice little machine. Max. 100mm2/min for steel. I'll expect
to make first cuts this week.. Took a while to clean the damn
rusty water tank, citric acid worked wonders though. Already have
the DI water running and 0.25 brass wire running ok.. Need to read
the fine manual a bit more on the CNC programming still before
first cut. That's the only SMALL wEDM machine I've seen..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 18:20:52 +0200, Kristian Ukkonen
wrote:

On 1/9/2012 16:37, Ed Huntress wrote:
EDM has been used for cutting tungsten carbide since the mid-'70s.
Some wirecut machines are optimized for it, but they're pretty slow.
Still, it does work, and it's used to make practically all of the
leadframe dies in existence, as well as dies for most small electronic
bits punched with carbide dies in high-speed presses.

Any way you do it, it would be exorbitantly expensive to carve a WC
ring out of the solid.

Around 5 mm3/min machining rate for tungsten carbine with wire-EDM..

Uh, not to pick nits, but you probably mean mm2, not mm3. Wirecut
cutting rates are expressed in square units of measure.

If the ring is 5mm thick and the edm leaves 0.35mm cut, that would be
0.35mm * x * 5mm = 5 mm3/min - x = 2.8 mm/min
The slice of 5mm thick disk from the D30rod would take some time too.
15mm*15mm*pi*0.35mm /(5 mm3/min) = 49min (per cut, 2 cuts)
So it could be done in a day.. Couple of hours to get the disk,
a few hours to finish the ring. Not unreasonable at all.

At what, $50/hour? For a day's worth of EDMing? That's an expensive
ring. g

If you own the machine and don't care about the cost of it, you're
looking at around $6/hour for wire.

The machine with X,Y,U,V could do a fancy outside shape.

Sure, as long as it's a curved 2D shape.

Of course, that requires a friend with wEdm doing it for you..
The real hourly cost of wEdm is not THAT horrible if there is no
profit to be made for that day of machining (on sunday).

BTW: I recently picked a used wEdm from ebay.. Brother HS-100..
http://www.mh-erodiertechnik.com/pdf...s100/hs100.pdf
Nice little machine. Max. 100mm2/min for steel. I'll expect
to make first cuts this week.. Took a while to clean the damn
rusty water tank, citric acid worked wonders though. Already have
the DI water running and 0.25 brass wire running ok.. Need to read
the fine manual a bit more on the CNC programming still before
first cut. That's the only SMALL wEDM machine I've seen..

That sounds like a great addition to a small shop. I've seen the
Brother machines at tool shows, but I don't know anything else about
them.

(I was N.A. Marketing Manager for Sodick and I later sold Mitsubishis
to the turbine engine industry.)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/9/2012 18:45, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 18:20:52 +0200, Kristian Ukkonen
On 1/9/2012 16:37, Ed Huntress wrote:
EDM has been used for cutting tungsten carbide since the mid-'70s.
Some wirecut machines are optimized for it, but they're pretty slow.
Still, it does work, and it's used to make practically all of the
leadframe dies in existence, as well as dies for most small electronic
bits punched with carbide dies in high-speed presses.

Any way you do it, it would be exorbitantly expensive to carve a WC
ring out of the solid.

Around 5 mm3/min machining rate for tungsten carbine with wire-EDM..

Uh, not to pick nits, but you probably mean mm2, not mm3. Wirecut
cutting rates are expressed in square units of measure.

In the table where I picked that value, it was stated as
Material (volume) removal rate, mm3/min in table 2. Here's the article:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/...1/fulltext.pdf

My HS-100 was indeed in mm2/min below in my text..

So it could be done in a day.. Couple of hours to get the disk,
a few hours to finish the ring. Not unreasonable at all.

At what, $50/hour? For a day's worth of EDMing? That's an expensive
ring.g

If you own the machine and don't care about the cost of it, you're
looking at around $6/hour for wire.

That's what you need the FRIEND for.

The machine with X,Y,U,V could do a fancy outside shape.

Sure, as long as it's a curved 2D shape.

Yeah.. Like sine wave at other end, rectangular wave
at other end, perhaps the latter at twice the frequency.
You'd need to be an engineer to appreciate it though.

Oh, one could also make the disk not flat (when cutting it
from the bar) so there would be variation in the ring
thickness..

Some nice pics:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...m-work-190287/
Especially the inch-metric-converter is NICE..
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...conversion.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 20:24:03 +0200, Kristian Ukkonen
wrote:

[...]

Eh, in practical terms, that's a meaningless number. It depends on the
kerf. Researchers may care about it, but EDM *users* just want to know
the travel rate through different types and thicknesses of material,
in square inches per hour, square millimeters per minute, or
hectares-per-lifetime. g

My HS-100 was indeed in mm2/min below in my text..

So it could be done in a day.. Couple of hours to get the disk,
a few hours to finish the ring. Not unreasonable at all.

At what, $50/hour? For a day's worth of EDMing? That's an expensive
ring.g

If you own the machine and don't care about the cost of it, you're
looking at around $6/hour for wire.

That's what you need the FRIEND for.

Yes, it's good to have friends with expensive machine tools and time
on their hands. d8-)

The machine with X,Y,U,V could do a fancy outside shape.

Sure, as long as it's a curved 2D shape.

Yeah.. Like sine wave at other end, rectangular wave
at other end, perhaps the latter at twice the frequency.
You'd need to be an engineer to appreciate it though.

You can get fancy, but it's always a line (wire) projected along a
path. That is, unless your tension is set too low, your feedrate is
high, and you get unwanted curved lines from wire drag...

Oh, one could also make the disk not flat (when cutting it
from the bar) so there would be variation in the ring
thickness..

Some nice pics:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...m-work-190287/
Especially the inch-metric-converter is NICE..

Loverly. Greg Langenhorst of Mitsubishi EDM used to make some things
that looked impossible. Then I spent hours trying to photograph them
so someone could see how impossible they were. But it rarely came
across in a 2D photograph.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...conversion.jpg

Oooh....that's better than the old two-tined/three-tined tuning forks
we used to draw in Mechanical Drawing class. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 23:34:47 -0600, Ignoramus16953
wrote:

TC is a great material for all sorts of tough jobs,
BUT isnt this material made by powder technology then sintred ? to shape?
then ground with diamond to set the cutting angles
so if youve a suitable sized piece to make a ring how are you going to
machine it?
the only thing harder is diamond.
This material is a bit outside of my tech field.

Ted.

I can sell you a shipload of diamond wheels

What size(s) and what price Iggy?

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

TC is a great material for all sorts of tough jobs,
BUT isnt this material made by powder technology then sintred ? to shape?
then ground with diamond to set the cutting angles
so if youve a suitable sized piece to make a ring how are you going to
machine it?
the only thing harder is diamond.
This material is a bit outside of my tech field.

Ted.

I can sell you a shipload of diamond wheels

What size(s) and what price Iggy?

RWL

RWL, I have a lot of them, and I do not want to sell them here, it is
very painful as far as business process goes. One big thing, would be
different.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

TC is a great material for all sorts of tough jobs,
BUT isnt this material made by powder technology then sintred ? to shape?
then ground with diamond to set the cutting angles
so if youve a suitable sized piece to make a ring how are you going to
machine it?
the only thing harder is diamond.
This material is a bit outside of my tech field.

Ted.

I can sell you a shipload of diamond wheels

What size(s) and what price Iggy?

RWL

RWL, I have a lot of them, and I do not want to sell them here, it is
very painful as far as business process goes. One big thing, would be
different.

What you cant simply give a discription and a price???

Gunner

Gunner Asch