Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default COMPLETE VICTORY over the transformer!

I spent a whole day messing around with the transformer.

The first disappointment was that even at the lowest count of turns
tap, the transformer would put out 511 volts, which is way too much.

After some frustrated thinking, I realized that I could pull out the
outer winding a bit and tap into it with a split bolt.

After a little bit of work with a calculator, pulling the aluminum
winding a little bit, trip to McMaster Carr, putting everything
together and applying Noalox, I ended up with a transformer with a
more suitable turns ratio on the secondary.

The output from the transformer is 476 volts, which is pretty good.

After a little bit of tidying up, I took a picture.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I now have a nice 45 kVA transformer, with a nice 60A disconnect on
the output side, a nice "hi quality" input cable etc.

I am SO ****ING HAPPY, like someone else would be with a Mercedes Benz
car.

I immediately went on and tested the 460 volt 3 ton coffing hoist,
which, no surprises, worked great like it is supposed to.

Victory! [email protected] Metalworking 6 November 11th 11 05:45 PM
Victory Karl Townsend Metalworking 17 June 12th 10 09:50 PM
Victory Gardens ! 'nam vet. Home Ownership 0 November 29th 08 07:17 PM
Almost complete victory over the compressor Ignoramus22839 Metalworking 16 June 20th 08 03:29 AM
OT - Victory !!! Gus Metalworking 7 January 16th 06 05:26 AM