DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Alternative Battery LR44 (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/332812-alternative-battery-lr44.html)

Bob La Londe[_2_] December 9th 11 01:44 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

I seem to recall a conversation a while back some of you guys mentioning
another battery in place of the LR44 with a lot longer life. I never really
worried about it before. I just used the LR44s for my laser pointer for
playing with the cats, but I recently picked up a digital caliper and it
came with an LR44.

What was that other battery?

P.S. I could not find an affordable (ok cheap) dial caliper with a metric
dial. Lots of metrics out there, but the dials on all the ones I looked at
had .001 inch gradations. I actually prefer a dial caliper, but I needed a
metric one right now for some measurements where I didn't want to have to
slow down and multiply constantly to get the metric conversions.

On a positive note. I did want a caliper that would do inch fractional for
a while, and this cheap digital will do that too.

I guess I can always stock up on LR44s. It will make the cats happy. LOL.

Erik[_5_] December 9th 11 02:31 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

[...]

I'm no battery expert, but for snots & giggles went to Radio Shack's web
site and put LR44 in the search box... it returned this:

http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...&origkw=lr44&s
r=1

Good luck!

Erik

DoN. Nichols[_2_] December 9th 11 04:16 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

On 2011-12-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
I seem to recall a conversation a while back some of you guys mentioning
another battery in place of the LR44 with a lot longer life. I never really
worried about it before. I just used the LR44s for my laser pointer for
playing with the cats, but I recently picked up a digital caliper and it
came with an LR44.

What was that other battery?

Your choice -- SR44 or SR357 -- both are silver oxide, and
interchangeable. And -- for ease of remembering, both are revolver
magnum calibers. They cost more than the LR versions, but the nuisance
value of the batteries dying frequently makes up for a lot.

P.S. I could not find an affordable (ok cheap) dial caliper with a metric
dial. Lots of metrics out there, but the dials on all the ones I looked at
had .001 inch gradations.

I've got a metric Starrett which I bought *new* back in the
1970s or so. (No, it is not for sale. :-)

I actually prefer a dial caliper, but I needed a
metric one right now for some measurements where I didn't want to have to
slow down and multiply constantly to get the metric conversions.

One of the reasons for digital calipers.

On a positive note. I did want a caliper that would do inch fractional for
a while, and this cheap digital will do that too.

I've not had one of those. Is that the one with the larger
digits, too?

I guess I can always stock up on LR44s. It will make the cats happy. LOL.

You let them play with the old cells, or the blister packs which
they came in? it Could be bad news if they swallowed the cells.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Stormin Mormon[_7_] December 9th 11 04:19 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

I can't comment on longer life, but I think AG-13 is the same. Any case, try
Ebay, or Froogle. They can't be that gosh awful expensive. Maybe HF has
them?

I got a cat laser that runs on two AAA cells, from Ebay. I have a lot of fun
with it. I claim to use it for pointing at work, but it's really a cat
laser.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Brian Lawson December 9th 11 05:17 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

SR44

Robert Roland December 9th 11 11:09 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

wrote:

I could not find an affordable (ok cheap) dial caliper with a metric
dial.

If cheap is your only requirement:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/analog-150mm-caliper-6199

Quality may not be the best, though.

I guess I can always stock up on LR44s. It will make the cats happy. LOL.

You can get those the same place:
http://s.dealextreme.com/search/lr44.html?category=400
--
RoRo

Pete C. December 9th 11 02:59 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Take the battery out of the caliper when you aren't using it and they
will last a decent amount of time.

Bob Engelhardt December 9th 11 06:34 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

Robert Roland wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

I could not find an affordable (ok cheap) dial caliper with a metric
dial.

If cheap is your only requirement:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/analog-150mm-caliper-6199

The problem with that one is it's 2mm per revolution. The bar is marked
in cm with 4 ticks between each. So to get the mm you have to count
ticks, multiply by 2 & add the dial reading. High resolution, but a
nuisance. I'd rather rather have one with 1 cm per revolution.

Bob

Wild_Bill December 9th 11 10:15 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

I believe it's been mentioned that the LR types are alkaline.. and IME, the
cheap ones often go bad just sitting in a drawer, but many have a short
shelf life (unlike better quality AAA to D alkaline cells).
I've bought the very cheap bulk, no-name, flea market LR44 10 or 20 packs
from various sources in the past, and they were the worst.

A couple of years ago the Big Lots stores started stocking a better variety
of small cells, and I found the silver oxide SR44 cells in a blister pack of
5 for under $2.. but I think the cost was a little higher the last time I
got a few packs.
But the SRs are branded (not Ever/Dura) and have dates on the packaging, so
it's fairly easy to see that they aren't just salvaged freight which may
have been sitting around for a couple of years.

These SRs far outlast even a brand-name LR cell. I put them in anything that
uses 44/13 size cells.
I take the digital caliper batteries out when I put it back in the case..
there are round cut-out holes in the foam to store them, or some cut-outs
can be cut to hold 1-2 extra cells.
Marking the battery cover with a bright paint pen helps to prevent it from
getting misplaced.

I keep intending to install a tiny switch (from a small LED light or other
little gizmo) to be able to shut the power off when not using the calipers,
but removing the batteries isn't so inconvenient.. losing the battery cover
would be.

--
WB

Gunner Asch[_6_] December 10th 11 05:46 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 20:57:11 +0000 (UTC), (Edward A. Falk)
wrote:

By interesting coincidence, the son of a friend of mine took second place
in a science fair by doing a study on battery life among different brands.

The executive summary is that all the batteries supplied about 3
Watt-hours, but the Energizers are 3x the cost of the no-name Rhino and
Tenergy batteries, about $0.20/Watt-hr vs. $0.08/Watt-hr. The Energizers
last about 15% longer, but that is not enough to offset the difference
in price.

I just took a minute to look for LR44's on eBay. They sell for like
$.10 each. I just paid $5 for one in the local CVS. I can't believe
that the name-brand batteries are really 50x better than the no-name
ones. I'll probably get gouged on the shipping, but it's still a
much better deal.

The only..only reason to go with the higher priced batteries...is
some..some..some of the cheapies have been known to leak over a very
long period of time. Ive never had a SR leak..but have had some leakage
issues with really cheap batteries in devices (coin style batteries) if
left in devices over a number of years...in untemperature controlled
areas. Perhaps they froze? Shrug...they did leak. I think Ive had maybe
4-5 of them leak in the past 20 or so years.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Winston December 10th 11 07:49 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

Edward A. Falk wrote:
By interesting coincidence, the son of a friend of mine took second place
in a science fair by doing a study on battery life among different brands.

The executive summary is that all the batteries supplied about 3
Watt-hours, but the Energizers are 3x the cost of the no-name Rhino and
Tenergy batteries, about $0.20/Watt-hr vs. $0.08/Watt-hr. The Energizers
last about 15% longer, but that is not enough to offset the difference
in price.

I just took a minute to look for LR44's on eBay. They sell for like
$.10 each. I just paid $5 for one in the local CVS. I can't believe
that the name-brand batteries are really 50x better than the no-name
ones. I'll probably get gouged on the shipping, but it's still a
much better deal.

Beware of eBay cells.

I bought a couple sets for my welding hood.
They went flat very quickly. (They *were* cheep, though.)

Pre-discharging is just another service we offer!

The high-priced cells from my local pharmacy are still going strong.

--Winston

Winston December 10th 11 07:55 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

Wild_Bill wrote:

(...)

I keep intending to install a tiny switch (from a small LED light or
other little gizmo) to be able to shut the power off when not using the
calipers, but removing the batteries isn't so inconvenient.. losing the
battery cover would be.

Little switches tend to die early. Ask Palm about that. :)

I like an elastomer carbon button driven by a threaded
knob that makes contact between the '+' side of the
button cell and the caliper cell contact instead:

----
.---. | |.--------. Flex PCB
| P | | || ||
| o | /\/.-.|| ||
| w |-\/\/| ||| ||
| e | | ||| ||
| r | | | | || Caliper
| K | | | | ||
| n |-\/\/| | | Cell ||
| o | /\/'-' | ||
| b | | | ||
| | | | ||
| | | | ||
'---' | | ''
| | |
| '--------'

(created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05 www.tech-chat.de)

--Winston

Wild_Bill December 11th 11 01:13 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

Very good idea, Winston.. it hadn't occurred to me to integrate something
into the battery cover, and your solution is ingenious in terms of
simplifying the modification.

I guess that's why I hadn't added a switch to the cable plug cover (on the
top side), which would require removing material from the cover, opening the
display housing and various other steps.. the big one being that the
calipers still work reliably after being reassembled.

--
WB

"Winston" wrote in message

(...)

----
.---. | |.--------. Flex PCB
| P | | || ||
| o | /\/.-.|| ||
| w |-\/\/| ||| ||
| e | | ||| ||
| r | | | | || Caliper
| K | | | | ||
| n |-\/\/| | | Cell ||
| o | /\/'-' | ||
| b | | | ||
| | | | ||
| | | | ||
'---' | | ''
| | |

Winston December 11th 11 02:35 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

Wild_Bill wrote:
Very good idea, Winston.. it hadn't occurred to me to integrate
something into the battery cover, and your solution is ingenious in
terms of simplifying the modification.

Thanks, Bill.

I guess that's why I hadn't added a switch to the cable plug cover (on
the top side), which would require removing material from the cover,
opening the display housing and various other steps.. the big one being
that the calipers still work reliably after being reassembled.

If you captured the battery cover to your CAD program, you could create
a version of it that included a brass insert for a 3 mm screw.
Scrap a keyboard for the carbon button and you are almost done:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/const/switchRubber-c.html

Keep us posted, please.

--Winston

Wild_Bill December 11th 11 07:50 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

Heheh.. you funny, man. My CAD consists of a mechanical pencil and printer
paper.
Software and I are mostly incompatible.

A threaded shoulder on top of the cover wouldn't be too difficult with a
salvaged brass insert from an old plastic-encased product, and maybe a
little epoxy.

In lookin over the sichyation, it looks as though the + battery terminal
could maybe be trimmed and used like a switch contact with a little lever
utilized to move a tab, to either (a) act as an insulator in the off
position, lifts in the on position (b) move the contact away from the
battery in the off position, move the contact to the battery in the on
position.

Your threaded solution wouldn't rely on the durability of the Chinese
soldering, which is always suspect.

One drawback I see to removing the battery between uses, is that the
cavities can get dust/debris in there when the cover remains off.
I can see this in the small caliper I keep stored next to my desk, which is
a fairly clean area.

Will do.

--
WB

Winston December 11th 11 10:53 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

Wild_Bill wrote:
Heheh.. you funny, man. My CAD consists of a mechanical pencil and
printer paper.
Software and I are mostly incompatible.

I was too, until I tried Rhino3D.
Just another happy customer!

A threaded shoulder on top of the cover wouldn't be too difficult with a
salvaged brass insert from an old plastic-encased product, and maybe a
little epoxy.

Good Hack! If the knob were hollow on the back side, you could
place the threaded area so that the knob almost completely
encloses it. Clean.

In lookin over the sichyation, it looks as though the + battery terminal
could maybe be trimmed and used like a switch contact with a little
lever utilized to move a tab, to either (a) act as an insulator in the
off position, lifts in the on position (b) move the contact away from
the battery in the off position, move the contact to the battery in the
on position.

Yup. I was considering using the flexibility of the PCB
as a spring, with a double sided board in the area of the
cell's + surface. Clockwise=on.

Your threaded solution wouldn't rely on the durability of the Chinese
soldering, which is always suspect.

Yup.

One drawback I see to removing the battery between uses, is that the
cavities can get dust/debris in there when the cover remains off.

Which is not nearly as aggravating as losing the cover. :)

I can see this in the small caliper I keep stored next to my desk, which
is a fairly clean area.

Will do.

This will be cool!

--Winston

GeoLane at PTD dot NET December 12th 11 03:11 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 18:35:49 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Scrap a keyboard for the carbon button and you are almost done:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/const/switchRubber-c.html

Keep us posted, please.

--Winston

Off topic, but what's the paint called that you use to repair the
carbon buttons when they fail, and where can you find it?

RWL

Winston December 12th 11 05:02 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

wrote:

Scrap a keyboard for the carbon button and you are almost done:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/const/switchRubber-c.html

Keep us posted, please.

--Winston

Off topic, but what's the paint called that you use to repair the
carbon buttons when they fail, and where can you find it?

Like this?
http://www.sandman.com/rubberb.html
http://www.sandman.com/button.html

I don't have any experience with it but the
Large Print looks good. :)

--Winston

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 12th 11 12:04 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 14:53:26 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Wild_Bill wrote:
Heheh.. you funny, man. My CAD consists of a mechanical pencil and
printer paper.
Software and I are mostly incompatible.

I was too, until I tried Rhino3D.
Just another happy customer!

Not all of us have ten Benjies to throw at a pencil problem.

Anyone use BobCAD? One of the CNC kits of stepper motors + a Gecko
G540 I'm eyeing on eBay has Mach3 and BobCAD v21 bundled with it.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 12th 11 12:15 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

wrote:

Scrap a keyboard for the carbon button and you are almost done:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/const/switchRubber-c.html

Keep us posted, please.

--Winston

Off topic, but what's the paint called that you use to repair the
carbon buttons when they fail, and where can you find it?

The last place I saw it advertised was from a remote control monger.
http://goo.gl/5KXEG $30-35 + s/h nowadays. Crikey!

"keypad repair kit" was the key phrase search.

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 12th 11 12:22 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

I found some mo http://goo.gl/M1Sar Amazon $12.95
http://goo.gl/qEA3B eBay $5, and probably worth only that.

Winston December 12th 11 02:04 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

wrote:

Wild_Bill wrote:
Heheh.. you funny, man. My CAD consists of a mechanical pencil and
printer paper.
Software and I are mostly incompatible.

I was too, until I tried Rhino3D.
Just another happy customer!

Not all of us have ten Benjies to throw at a pencil problem.

Anyone use BobCAD? One of the CNC kits of stepper motors + a Gecko
G540 I'm eyeing on eBay has Mach3 and BobCAD v21 bundled with it.

I'm interested in your opinion of it:
http://www.bobcad.com/demo?download=V24%20CAD-CAM

--Winston

Winston December 12th 11 02:10 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

wrote:

Scrap a keyboard for the carbon button and you are almost done:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/const/switchRubber-c.html

Keep us posted, please.

--Winston

Off topic, but what's the paint called that you use to repair the
carbon buttons when they fail, and where can you find it?

Like this?
http://www.sandman.com/rubberb.html
http://www.sandman.com/button.html

I don't have any experience with it but the
Large Print looks good. :)

I found some mo http://goo.gl/M1Sar Amazon $12.95
http://goo.gl/qEA3B eBay $5, and probably worth only that.

I haven't experienced 'worn out' contacts yet.
Gungy contacts, yes.

A little scrub with naphtha on a cotton cloth restores
operation muy pronto. Snap it back together and I'm
good to go for years of reliable use.

--Winston

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 12th 11 04:33 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

wrote:

Wild_Bill wrote:
Heheh.. you funny, man. My CAD consists of a mechanical pencil and
printer paper.
Software and I are mostly incompatible.

I was too, until I tried Rhino3D.
Just another happy customer!

Not all of us have ten Benjies to throw at a pencil problem.

Anyone use BobCAD? One of the CNC kits of stepper motors + a Gecko
G540 I'm eyeing on eBay has Mach3 and BobCAD v21 bundled with it.

I'm interested in your opinion of it:
http://www.bobcad.com/demo?download=V24%20CAD-CAM

That's the demo of the newest version. What I refer to is probably the
Express of the old v21, which is probably good enough for router
services.

Has anyone here used BobCAD v21 or v21 Express? I'd like to hear
about your opinions and experiences.

I once thought I'd won a copy after filling out an entry form for a
raffle with a fresh copy as the prize. They called a week later and my
heart stopped...until I found out that I hadn't won squat. They just
wanted to see if I had $1,500 (a $700 savings!) to try it out anyway.
I gritted my teeth, deleted my expletives, and said "Uh, no."

Joseph Gwinn December 12th 11 07:53 PM

CAD programs (was Alternative Battery LR44)

In article , Baron
wrote:

Winston Inscribed thus:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I once thought I'd won a copy after filling out an entry form for a
raffle with a fresh copy as the prize. They called a week later and
my
heart stopped...until I found out that I hadn't won squat. They just
wanted to see if I had $1,500 (a $700 savings!) to try it out anyway.
I gritted my teeth, deleted my expletives, and said "Uh, no."

Ouch.

2D CAD is worlds better than a drawing board IMHO.
If you can buy a copy of Generic CADD from days of
yore, you can use it's license number to get a
huge discount on Visual CADD 6 ($150 instead of
$450):
http://www.visualcadd.com/

--Winston

Draftsight runs on Linux and Winblows, and its free for personal use !

I stared out using Draftsight, but found the learning curve far too
difficult. There isn't enough Draftsight documentation for a new user
to figure it out, so I started reading the AutoCAD documentation, as
Draftsight speaks perfect AutoCAD. It's *very* complex, with curliques
accumulated over the years.

So I talked to the MEs (mechanical engineers) at work. They said that
AutoCAD dominates the Architecture field, where it started, but had a
very long learning curve, and is 2D (with later 3D additions). Pro-E
was used for large-scale projects (with millions of pieces), is 3D, but
was impossible to use unless you used it for a living.

What the MEs used and recommended for home use was Alibre, which is 3D
from the start, and is a fairly clean new design. So I bought a
personal-use copy for $200 or so, and made more progress in two weeks
than I had made with DraftSight in many months. So, I abandoned
Draftsight, and stopped reading the thick AutoCAD books.

Joe Gwinn

Wild_Bill December 12th 11 08:08 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

I've gone to making plastic covers for all my IR remote controls (from
freezer bag sections).

Most of the time my remotes would stay clean, except for dust and small
debris from laying on the floor or table.
A very long time ago, I mastered the use of a napkin, and when I'm eating
while watching a movie I'm not constantly transferring food residue from
fingers to remote.
Some folks I've known, haven't adapted to that behaviorial modification, and
their remotes essentially die from filth.

One condition which causes button presses to require more 'n more pressure,
even when they're kept clean, is that the face of the carbon pads become
shiney.
I used to scuff the pads just lightly enough to remove the shine, and they
generally work fine (one of those pen-type fiberglas strands/bristles
brushes, or a small strip of 400-600 grit abrasive paper).

My remotes have essentially been maintenance-free since I've been making
covers for them (ounce of prevention sorta thing).

Remotes of years ago would often get slimey from the inside.. apparently it
was the formula of the rubbery vinyl used for the buttons causing some
compound to ooze out of the material. I haven't seen that type of
contamination for a number of years.

For many tasks, my go-to solvents are denatured alcohol or lacquer
thinner/acetone when the material can tolerate it.

--
WB

Winston December 12th 11 08:23 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

Baron wrote:
Winston Inscribed thus:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I once thought I'd won a copy after filling out an entry form for a
raffle with a fresh copy as the prize. They called a week later and
my
heart stopped...until I found out that I hadn't won squat. They just
wanted to see if I had $1,500 (a $700 savings!) to try it out anyway.
I gritted my teeth, deleted my expletives, and said "Uh, no."

Ouch.

2D CAD is worlds better than a drawing board IMHO.
If you can buy a copy of Generic CADD from days of
yore, you can use it's license number to get a
huge discount on Visual CADD 6 ($150 instead of
$450):
http://www.visualcadd.com/

--Winston

Draftsight runs on Linux and Winblows, and its free for personal use !

For fun just now, I visited their site and downloaded
their 'getting started' flyer.

It was like a HF lathe. Most the parts appeared to be
there, but it was useless as shipped. :)

--Winston

Winston December 12th 11 08:36 PM

Alternative Battery LR44

Wild_Bill wrote:
I've gone to making plastic covers for all my IR remote controls (from
freezer bag sections).

Most of the time my remotes would stay clean, except for dust and small
debris from laying on the floor or table.
A very long time ago, I mastered the use of a napkin, and when I'm
eating while watching a movie I'm not constantly transferring food
residue from fingers to remote.

A 'napkin' you say?
I shall have to Google that. Sounds useful.

(...)

Remotes of years ago would often get slimey from the inside.. apparently
it was the formula of the rubbery vinyl used for the buttons causing
some compound to ooze out of the material. I haven't seen that type of
contamination for a number of years.

My friends at LG used to ship prototypes with feet
made of recycled tires and sewage.
They would mark any surface they were placed upon.

Nasty.

For many tasks, my go-to solvents are denatured alcohol or lacquer
thinner/acetone when the material can tolerate it.

If you can get it, naphtha is a miracle worker.
It dissolves most petrochemicals and organics very
quickly, without damage to plastics and without
water or other residue.

'Only thing it cannot remove efficiently is dried
food spatter. For that, this stuff is excellent:
http://www.tilex.com/mold-and-mildew-remover/

It makes the front of my microwave look brand
new with just a couple swipes.

--Winston

Winston December 12th 11 08:59 PM

CAD programs

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

(...)

I stared out using Draftsight, but found the learning curve far too
difficult. There isn't enough Draftsight documentation for a new user
to figure it out, so I started reading the AutoCAD documentation, as
Draftsight speaks perfect AutoCAD.

Ouch. I found Autocad to have a vertical learning curve.

(...)

What the MEs used and recommended for home use was Alibre, which is 3D
from the start, and is a fairly clean new design. So I bought a
personal-use copy for $200 or so, and made more progress in two weeks
than I had made with DraftSight in many months. So, I abandoned
Draftsight, and stopped reading the thick AutoCAD books.

I feel your pain.

After attempting Autocad and n+1 no-cost 'cad' programs,
I stumbled across Generic CADD (Later Visual CADD).
Suddenly, I could draw and print!

That experience flattened the learning curve with Rhino3D.
I've heard good things about Alibre, but never tried it.

--Winston

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 13th 11 02:59 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:20:41 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

I once thought I'd won a copy after filling out an entry form for a
raffle with a fresh copy as the prize. They called a week later and my
heart stopped...until I found out that I hadn't won squat. They just
wanted to see if I had $1,500 (a $700 savings!) to try it out anyway.
I gritted my teeth, deleted my expletives, and said "Uh, no."

Ouch.

2D CAD is worlds better than a drawing board IMHO.
If you can buy a copy of Generic CADD from days of
yore, you can use it's license number to get a
huge discount on Visual CADD 6 ($150 instead of
$450):
http://www.visualcadd.com/

I had a free copy of TurboCAD3D moons ago. Then a free copy SmartDraw
and Alibre, and I think one other. Now I have a free copy of
DoubleCAD XT Pro 3. I haven't really had an urgend or specific use
for them so I haven't put in the time to really learn any of them.

I've found Corel Draw quicker for my uses, and will move to Sketchup
once I've read the missing manual. g

BUT, if I can get a free-ish copy with my entry into CNC, I'll do it.
$555 (+$15.32 s/h) for three 640 oz/in steppers, a Gecko G540, 3 DB9
connectors and shells, latching red estop switch, 3 homing switches, 3
current-set resistors, a licensed copy of Mach3 and a licensed copy of
BobCAD v21 isn't a bad price. I'll be halfway there to my own CNC
router. But I want a copy of Vectric Aspire, too. Only $2k.

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 13th 11 03:04 AM

CAD programs

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:59:01 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

(...)

I stared out using Draftsight, but found the learning curve far too
difficult. There isn't enough Draftsight documentation for a new user
to figure it out, so I started reading the AutoCAD documentation, as
Draftsight speaks perfect AutoCAD.

Ouch. I found Autocad to have a vertical learning curve.

El Capitan should be so lucky. (For the unwashed, that's a sheer 3k'
vertical cliff in Yosemite. )

(...)

What the MEs used and recommended for home use was Alibre, which is 3D
from the start, and is a fairly clean new design. So I bought a
personal-use copy for $200 or so, and made more progress in two weeks
than I had made with DraftSight in many months. So, I abandoned
Draftsight, and stopped reading the thick AutoCAD books.

I feel your pain.

After attempting Autocad and n+1 no-cost 'cad' programs,
I stumbled across Generic CADD (Later Visual CADD).
Suddenly, I could draw and print!

Cool.

That experience flattened the learning curve with Rhino3D.

That leaves just one other vertical cliff: the cost.

Doug White December 13th 11 03:39 AM

CAD programs (was Alternative Battery LR44)

Joseph Gwinn wrote in news:joegwinn-
:

snip
[...]

I have Alibre, and use it occasionally for 3D stuff, but it's a bit
buggy. If you don't apply constraints just right when aligning parts, it
will disassemble things at weird angles. "Undo" works, so it's not
fatal, but annoying.

For 2D, I use AutoSketch. When AutoDesk was getting their butts kicked
in the 2D market by a program called Drafix, they bought them out,
flushed their product & re-labled Drafix as AutoSketch. I've used it for
everything for about 23 years, from laying out 44 GHz power amps to
mapping the electrical wiring in my attic. The drawings are in Windows
metafile format under the hood, so they import into Word & PowerPoint
fairly seamlessly. The downside is that they layed off the development
team years ago, and it hasn't entirely kept up with changes Microsoft has
made in the metafile world. It's still my tool of choice for almost
everything, in large part because I can do stuff in it very quickly. 23
years ago, I had never used a CAD tool before, and I don't recall having
much trouble getting started. On the otherhand, I am still finding
shortcuts for some operations.

Version 9 is plenty good enough for most things, and being one release
out of date, is available for short money ( $25 if you shop around).

Doug White

GeoLane at PTD dot NET December 13th 11 03:47 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

Off topic, but what's the paint called that you use to repair the
carbon buttons when they fail, and where can you find it?

Like this?
http://www.sandman.com/rubberb.html
http://www.sandman.com/button.html

I don't have any experience with it but the
Large Print looks good. :)

--Winston

That looks like what I remember reading about.

RWL

Stormin Mormon[_7_] December 13th 11 04:19 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

Some countries call it a nappy, check nappy first.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Winston December 13th 11 05:51 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:20:41 -0800,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

[...]

CNC is a ton of fun!
You are gonna love it.

--Winston

Winston December 13th 11 06:01 AM

CAD programs

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:59:01 -0800,
wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

(...)

[...]

I'm sounding like a broken CD here, but if
you are enrolled at your local JC, you can
get the student discount for Rhino.

$195 instead of $995 is an insane bargain.

--Winston

Winston December 13th 11 06:05 AM

Alternative Battery LR44

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Some countries call it a nappy, check nappy first.

I'm much too old and slightly too young
for a 'nappy check'. :)

--Winston

Larry Jaques[_4_] December 13th 11 12:56 PM

CAD programs

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:01:47 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:59:01 -0800,
wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

(...)

[...]

So are CA JCs. Up here, courses cost $130 per credit, with most
courses 3+ credits, plus half a dozen extra college fees. I'd be back
up to $995 in a heartbeat with 2 basic classes. But thanks for the
thought. Welding and landscaping programs cost upward of $3k each
here. I think a commercial course would be cheaper.

My Adobe products cost $100 each as a dealer, but they stopped that
practice. Now everyone pays outrageous prices. I never sold a single
extra copy because online dealers beat my vendor (Ingram Micro and
TechData) pricing every single time, and savvy buyers went there.

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Joseph Gwinn December 13th 11 02:04 PM

Doug White wrote:

[...]

I haven't yet run into this, but I'm sure I will.

Being buggy is normal with a "clean new design", and is the price for
not having to learn all the eccentric curliques of a beloved product,
now at release 781.0.50.

[...]

Not having 23 years invested in any CAD program, I want to start with a
newer one that is actively supported, and grow older with it.

Joe Gwinn

Winston December 13th 11 02:19 PM

CAD programs

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:01:47 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

$195 instead of $995 is an insane bargain.

So are CA JCs. Up here, courses cost $130 per credit, with most
courses 3+ credits, plus half a dozen extra college fees. I'd be back
up to $995 in a heartbeat with 2 basic classes. But thanks for the
thought. Welding and landscaping programs cost upward of $3k each
here. I think a commercial course would be cheaper.

So get on the other side of the equation and let
the JC purchase your discounted software, yes?

Teach a 'beginning XTML' telecourse for your local JC/CC.

Your local JC is swamped with folks who want to know this stuff!

Looka he http://www.roguecc.edu/Schedule/?coursenumber=9.257
The course scheduled for January filled up quickly!

--Winston