Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, web hosting for personal pages?

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 08:43:16 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

I know a number of folks here have personal web pages detailing projects
and interests. I'm interested in doing the same, covering my issues and
experiences in moving my shop down under, my hobby projects, and my
photography.

I would want 500MB+ storage for images, a blogging application, and FTP
w/password access. Those features alone will probably ensure I get a lot
more bells and whistles, but those are the basics.

That's included in most hosts' basic packages.

Looking for low cost. GoDaddy seems pretty cheap, but a couple friends
warn while setting up is fast and easy, customizing a web page isn't
exactly intuitive. 1&1 has a lot of features, but is kinda pricey for
just a personal page.

Open to suggestions.

I've been using LunarPages for quite a long while now and have been
happy with them. I use their starter hosting for my handyman website
and a regular hosting for my web design site. Use my link and you get
the same great deal plus I get a bump. I'll help you with your site if
you like. http://www.lunarpages.com/id/diversifycom Only $3.95/mo
but you have to buy a 2 year contract. This has always been worth it
to me. $95 for two years of hosting? Some places want that much for
only 3 _months_.

--
Live Simply. Speak Kindly. Care Deeply. Love Generously.
-- anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know a number of folks here have personal web pages detailing projects
and interests. I'm interested in doing the same, covering my issues and
experiences in moving my shop down under, my hobby projects, and my
photography.

I would want 500MB+ storage for images, a blogging application, and FTP
w/password access. Those features alone will probably ensure I get a lot
more bells and whistles, but those are the basics.
Looking for low cost. GoDaddy seems pretty cheap, but a couple friends
warn while setting up is fast and easy, customizing a web page isn't
exactly intuitive. 1&1 has a lot of features, but is kinda pricey for
just a personal page.

Open to suggestions.

Jon

Well for hard storage of photos/files Picasa is good..and one can link
photos from it to webpages so they appear on the webpage

I think I have 7.5 gigs of storage on Picasa, with only 2% currently in
use.

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Certainly going to check that out, sounds like a killer price.
I have no problem with contracts. I registered a domain, janders dot
info to get a freebie email. Paid up for 10 years, then found many of
the web forums I'm in won't accept that email. Crap... Big part of
registering a domain was to get a long term email account I can start to
transition to here before I move. (while I do have a Gmail account and
it can be converted to POP3, I don't trust Google to not be sniffing
emails...)

Thanks!!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/6/2011 8:43 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
I know a number of folks here have personal web pages detailing projects
and interests. I'm interested in doing the same, covering my issues and
experiences in moving my shop down under, my hobby projects, and my
photography.

I would want 500MB+ storage for images, a blogging application, and FTP
w/password access. Those features alone will probably ensure I get a lot
more bells and whistles, but those are the basics.
Looking for low cost. GoDaddy seems pretty cheap, but a couple friends
warn while setting up is fast and easy, customizing a web page isn't
exactly intuitive. 1&1 has a lot of features, but is kinda pricey for
just a personal page.

Open to suggestions.

Jon

I use pair.net and have for years, I've been happy with them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/6/2011 9:26 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Well for hard storage of photos/files Picasa is good..and one can link
photos from it to webpages so they appear on the webpage

I think I have 7.5 gigs of storage on Picasa, with only 2% currently in
use.

Yeah, Picassa would be hard to beat for blog pics and stuff. But for
photography, I want more control over appearance, more like a
professional online photo gallery, ala Smugmug or similar.
(not that I'm a professional by any means, I just want to be able to
create a nice looking gallery...)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know a number of folks here have personal web pages detailing projects
and interests. I'm interested in doing the same, covering my issues and
experiences in moving my shop down under, my hobby projects, and my
photography.

I would want 500MB+ storage for images, a blogging application, and FTP
w/password access. Those features alone will probably ensure I get a lot
more bells and whistles, but those are the basics.
Looking for low cost. GoDaddy seems pretty cheap, but a couple friends
warn while setting up is fast and easy, customizing a web page isn't
exactly intuitive. 1&1 has a lot of features, but is kinda pricey for
just a personal page.

A Small Orange. A bit 'geekier' than some hosts, but includes cPanel for us
mortals. $5 per month will get you 750 MB of storage and 15 GB monthly
bandwidth. Virtually every thing else is truly unlimited. Few exceptions are
things most folks are unlikely to encounter. 1,000 emails per hour for example.
You will never hit that but a mailing list with 100 members and 10 posts per
one hour will hit...

Have been with them for years and have never had a problem not of my own
doing:-O
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Unless you want a less-than satisfactory layout peppered with ads and
pop-ups from a "free" host, look into a local ISP that will sell you a
web host service with X MB (your requirement). Usually not too
expensive, and you can manage it all you want. Here's mine, run on
local Seanet.com:

http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth/
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:

I know a number of folks here have personal web pages detailing projects
and interests. I'm interested in doing the same, covering my issues and
experiences in moving my shop down under, my hobby projects, and my
photography.

I would want 500MB+ storage for images, a blogging application, and FTP
w/password access. Those features alone will probably ensure I get a lot
more bells and whistles, but those are the basics.
Looking for low cost. GoDaddy seems pretty cheap, but a couple friends
warn while setting up is fast and easy, customizing a web page isn't
exactly intuitive. 1&1 has a lot of features, but is kinda pricey for
just a personal page.

Open to suggestions.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 05:36:37 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 11/6/2011 2:19 PM, William Bagwell wrote:

A Small Orange. A bit 'geekier' than some hosts, but includes cPanel for us
mortals. $5 per month will get you 750 MB of storage and 15 GB monthly
bandwidth.

Hmm, have to compare that to Larry's host. I'm familiar with cPanel,
that's what runs the server my business site is on. Thanks!

I love cPanel! LP uses it on their standard hosting packages but not
on the Starter. That uses LPCP, their own panel, which is similar.

Starter gives 5GB of storage, BTW.

--
Live Simply. Speak Kindly. Care Deeply. Love Generously.
-- anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/6/2011 3:21 PM, JR North wrote:
Unless you want a less-than satisfactory layout peppered with ads and
pop-ups from a "free" host, look into a local ISP that will sell you a
web host service with X MB (your requirement).

That's certainly what I don't want. I have a business site a friend
hosts on his server. He'd probably let me host my personal site too, but
whereas my business site is very low impact on traffic and disk space, I
plan to have a fair bit of stuff on the personal site.

I've heard from a few folks down under that have AU hosted web sites,
hosting isn't exactly cheap, though they have .au registered domains and
they are business sites. I don't really care where mine is hosted so
long as it's easy to access and modify like my business site,
inexpensive, and reliable.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner - I've tried to look at something you had on picasa with no luck.
This was from a Windows 2000 system with microsoft's Internet Explorer.
If you'd mention the picasa address of a photo or two, I'll look
again to verify my memory.

Hul

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jon Anderson wrote:
I know a number of folks here have personal web pages detailing projects
and interests. I'm interested in doing the same, covering my issues and
experiences in moving my shop down under, my hobby projects, and my
photography.

nearlyfreespeech.net - pay as you go, I've had a small site hosted there
for a couple of years for less than $5.

---john.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 23:26:25 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Gunner - I've tried to look at something you had on picasa with no luck.
This was from a Windows 2000 system with microsoft's Internet Explorer.
If you'd mention the picasa address of a photo or two, I'll look
again to verify my memory.

Hul

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602
https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch

Try it both ways.

Thanks!

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner - I tried the two address you mentioned. Both showed what appears
to be your "front page" on picasaweb. I clicked the tag for, roughly,
"gunner's pictures" and after two & half minutes got "all done, some
errors occurred". No pictures, though.
This was via a telephone modem working at 24k baud, which accounts for
the slow speed.

Hul

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:06:23 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Gunner - I tried the two address you mentioned. Both showed what appears
to be your "front page" on picasaweb. I clicked the tag for, roughly,
"gunner's pictures" and after two & half minutes got "all done, some
errors occurred". No pictures, though.
This was via a telephone modem working at 24k baud, which accounts for
the slow speed.

Hul

Odd...must be your software.

Anyone else have an issue with those links and the 52 some albums?

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 05:05:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 12, 4:45*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:06:23 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
Gunner - I tried the two address you mentioned. Both showed what appears
to be your "front page" on picasaweb. I clicked the tag for, roughly,
"gunner's pictures" and after two & half minutes got "all done, some
errors occurred". No pictures, though.
* This was via a telephone modem working at 24k baud, which accounts for
the slow speed.

Hul

Odd...must be *your software.

Anyone else have an issue with those links and the 52 some albums?

Nope. Works here. Win7, Firefox 3something.

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 23:26:25 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Gunner - I've tried to look at something you had on picasa with no luck.
This was from a Windows 2000 system with microsoft's Internet Explorer.
* If you'd mention the picasa address of a photo or two, I'll look
again to verify my memory.

Hul

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602
https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No problem here.
Thunderbird. Firefox. Win7. Cox - high speed.

I don't know why a dial up would drop it. I don't miss those days.