Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default pipe jaws

I need to fabricate a hydraulic clamp for a pipe, and trying to find the
best way to grip onto a 2 7/8" pipe. I was looking at pipe jaws for a
vise but not sure if they would work that great. I was looking at the
below link for ease of fabrication and price because they have the thru
hole in them.

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-2904200-pipe-jaws.aspx

Also looking at (what seems to be) bigger pipe jaws

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-pipe-jaws.aspx

but they really don't give too much information on what they are or how
they work.

If anyone has any info or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Jim is offline

You might want to explain what the purpose of gripping the pipe is.
Is it to hold it horizontal so the pipe can be machined?
-jim

tnik wrote:

I need to fabricate a hydraulic clamp for a pipe, and trying to find the
best way to grip onto a 2 7/8" pipe. I was looking at pipe jaws for a
vise but not sure if they would work that great. I was looking at the
below link for ease of fabrication and price because they have the thru
hole in them.

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-2904200-pipe-jaws.aspx

Also looking at (what seems to be) bigger pipe jaws

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-pipe-jaws.aspx

but they really don't give too much information on what they are or how
they work.

If anyone has any info or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

tnik wrote:

I need to fabricate a hydraulic clamp for a pipe, and trying to find the
best way to grip onto a 2 7/8" pipe. I was looking at pipe jaws for a
vise but not sure if they would work that great. I was looking at the
below link for ease of fabrication and price because they have the thru
hole in them.

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-2904200-pipe-jaws.aspx

Also looking at (what seems to be) bigger pipe jaws

http://www.mile-x.com/wilton-pipe-jaws.aspx

but they really don't give too much information on what they are or how
they work.

If anyone has any info or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Tom

Yea, my bad. It's actually a clamp to hold drill pipe vertically on
small drill rig. Two clamps are needed, lowest clamp will hold onto a
bracket to keep the drill in line, and an upper clamp will grip the pipe
when they are taking it out of the ground to break the screwed joints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.gearench.com/products/sub-chain-wrenches.asp

here is a replacement.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

tnik wrote:

[...]

Is this 2-7/8" drill pipe? does it have tool joints or smooth? If tool
joints then can't you use normal elevators? See
http://www.jereh-oilfield.com/englis.../Elevator.shtm
for examples.

(Or am I trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs ?-)

Cheers,

John B.

Vise jaws Jay Pique Woodworking 4 October 5th 07 12:44 AM
Pipe vise -- a project for making jaws Ignoramus9581 Metalworking 3 September 24th 07 06:44 PM
Cole Jaws Woodborg Woodturning 18 December 17th 06 04:57 PM
Axminster Woodturning jaws. Ken Wilson Woodworking 1 December 7th 06 07:10 PM
Oneway jaws [email protected] Woodturning 9 April 10th 06 05:51 AM