Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ig, here's pics of my finished rafters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-06, Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

This is huge!

How did you get everything aligned so well?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-06, Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

This is huge!

How did you get everything aligned so well?

Good photography.

I am apprehensive about skinning it because it is out of kilter a bit. But,
there is one section in the middle where it is intentionally narrower than
all the other 62" wide sections. This will allow me a section to trim and
fit whatever it needs to meet. I used string lines a lot, and built the
joists on a 32' table and stands, building the first, then clamping all the
others on top in pieces and welding them out one at a time. Was able to
build all nine by myself. 32' long, 41" high on one end, 12" high on the
other. May have the under side shot with foam, and roll the top with
sealant for RVs. I'm putting a water sprayer system on it for next summer.

I learned a few things NOT to do on the next one, but there won't be one, so
that's that. I just want to get this one done, get moved in, get the doors
on the end, get the concrete floor poured, and button it up. And make my
beer room in one of the containers.

Getting the base, in this case, the containers right and square was a bit
hard considering their size. After that, using lasers, string lines,
measuring tapes, and knowing how to figure diagonals gets you pretty close.
As long as you are not way out, sheet metal decking flexes a lot and cuts
easily.

Just got back from a five day campout with OHVs. That is work to get
everything ready, then unpack. Kind of helped me refocus, though, and set a
priority list.

We'll see how that works out.

Weather here is cooling off, and that is the key. It's been hot here, and
that makes for a short day and a long week.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-06, Steve B wrote:
[...]

Looks like a large, successful project to me. Also a nice backyard
view.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11868" wrote in

Looks like a large, successful project to me. Also a nice backyard
view.

Going out today to do some prelims for painting. Will post more pics as I
progress. Yeah, I live on rural property, surrounded by pastures and BLM
land. We love it here except for the wind and heat.

Steve