Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default VW Jetta oil pan

I have my VW Jetta oil pan damage on the thread of the drain hole and leaking motor oil. I decide to use a larger bolt and re-tap the thread, instead of replacing the oil pan.

http://www.hteck.ca/metalworkings/VW...rain_plug.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:59:09 -0700 (PDT), "leung.h"
wrote:

I have my VW Jetta oil pan damage on the thread of the drain hole and leaking motor oil. I decide to use a larger bolt and re-tap the thread, instead of replacing the oil pan.

http://www.hteck.ca/metalworkings/VW...rain_plug.html

I hope the replacement drain plug was of the magnetic type.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

leung.h" wrote in message
I have my VW Jetta oil pan damage on the thread of the drain hole and
leaking motor oil. I decide to use a larger bolt and re-tap the thread,
instead of replacing the oil pan.

http://www.hteck.ca/metalworkings/VW...rain_plug.html

There used to be a replacement drain plug available that was designed to
self tap in place of the original lost or buggered drain plug. Had a
smaller drain plug in the middle of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have my VW Jetta oil pan damage on the thread of the drain hole and leaking motor oil. I decide to use a larger bolt and re-tap the thread, instead of replacing the oil pan.

http://www.hteck.ca/metalworkings/VW...rain_plug.html

On the other hand..a trip to the wrecking yard and $5 would have gotten
you a replacement pan

Shrug

But it was a nice write up and a good job.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There's a threadless plug. It's a hollow Neoprene shaft. When
you insert the tool in the end, it stretches to a small enough diameter
to slide into the pan. When you remove the tool; it returned to
its bulbus shape, sealing against the inside and outside of the hole.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:46:57 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

There's a threadless plug. It's a hollow Neoprene shaft. When
you insert the tool in the end, it stretches to a small enough diameter
to slide into the pan. When you remove the tool; it returned to
its bulbus shape, sealing against the inside and outside of the hole.

AWFULL things. They do work, for a while - but I've never liked or
trusted them long term. A PROPER fix is almost as quick and simple.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's Al, Larry
JR
Dweller in the cellar