Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Diy roof repair

The shingles that Andrew Espey put up two years ago are holding up well, but
the legal battle that came with them is far from over.

It all started when Espey decided to re-shingle his roof after discovering a
leak.

Espey says, "The building inspector came along and told me I couldn't do it.
He told me I had to quit and take off the shingles and start over because
they have a code."

A Minnesota state residential code says that new asphalt shingles cannot be
installed without first removing exist shingles, and on one section of the
roof Espey was installing new shingles over the old.

Espey says, "They didn't tell me I couldn't overlay shingles when I got my
permit...I didn't even know they had such a code."

The city served him a stop work order, but he ignored it and finished the
job.

Espey says, "I was kind of getting disturbed a little bit, somebody telling
me what I can do on my home."

Nevertheless, on March of last year he was found guilty of four counts of
violating building code and two counts of violating a stop work order, fined
over $2000 and sentenced to 90 days in jail, 60 with good behavior.

Espey says, "60 days for working on a house and a drunk can drive down the
highway and get a lot less."

Espey did report to the Jackson city law enforcement center to serve his
time but was let out after just 17 days as medical precaution.

Espey is claustrophobic and a doctor said staying in jail was making his
hypertension worse.

The judge reduced his 73-day balance to 30, to be served on electronic home
monitoring or in jail three days at a time.

Espey says, "I said no I don't want them, this isn't what we served in the
military for to be tied up in our own home."

Espey is also refusing to pay his fines, maintaining that he did nothing
wrong.

Espey says, "I hope they just drop it pretty soon and decide it's enough."

The City attorney declined to comment.

Espy was arrested again last week at a city council meeting where an
ordinance was introduced to make violations of the building code a nuisance.
He was released after 24 hours.

http://www.keyc.tv/story/15176536/ja...-for-shingling

This must be part of the stimuluss deal. Providing jobs for inspectors,
assistant DA's, judges, jail guards, prison vendors etc.

Forget manufacturing, this is the new service ecconomy they talk about
in washington.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message
[...]

To try and tie this in with federal stimulus is pretty disingenous when you
consider this is statute law and in all likelyhood has been in place for
going on well before "stimulus" became a household word.

Nice troll though....

--I'll give it a C+

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:42:29 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

A Minnesota state residential code says that new asphalt shingles cannot be
installed without first removing exist shingles, and on one section of the
roof Espey was installing new shingles over the old.

It varies by county. Jackson County is one where complete tearoffs
are required. It has to do with exposure to hail.

http://www.doli.state.mn.us/ccld/PDF/map_hail2.pdf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A Minnesota state residential code says that new asphalt shingles cannot
be
installed without first removing exist shingles, and on one section of the
roof Espey was installing new shingles over the old.

It varies by county. Jackson County is one where complete tearoffs
are required. It has to do with exposure to hail.

http://www.doli.state.mn.us/ccld/PDF/map_hail2.pdf

Holy cr@p!
They call 1.5 - 5 inch hail stones, moderate size hail.
The large ones must be the size of basketballs.
Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We get grapefruit size and saucer shaped about the same size
when those hand size typhoon land size things come by...

Saucers break bark off trees and you if you are in the way.

They fly sideways coming from tornadoes.

Martin in Texas

On 8/6/2011 4:30 PM, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
"Don wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:42:29 -0700,
wrote:

A Minnesota state residential code says that new asphalt shingles cannot
be
installed without first removing exist shingles, and on one section of the
roof Espey was installing new shingles over the old.

It varies by county. Jackson County is one where complete tearoffs
are required. It has to do with exposure to hail.

http://www.doli.state.mn.us/ccld/PDF/map_hail2.pdf

Holy cr@p!
They call 1.5 - 5 inch hail stones, moderate size hail.
The large ones must be the size of basketballs.
Paul K. Dickman

Roof tile glue to repair recently cracked clay re-roof tiles (doesit exist?) Aaron FIsher Home Repair 21 April 11th 11 02:30 PM
New roof repair m Ransley Home Repair 0 July 24th 06 12:52 PM
Roof repair Roly UK diy 15 February 19th 06 03:56 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? N. Thornton UK diy 0 January 8th 05 02:22 PM
Repair flat roof or have a sloping tiled roof put on? JohnJ UK diy 4 January 8th 05 08:03 AM