DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT 60 w T12 bulbs??? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/326592-ot-60-w-t12-bulbs.html)

[email protected] July 28th 11 02:51 AM

OT 60 w T12 bulbs???

While looking for some replacement bulbs at a Lowes building center, I
came across T12 bulbs that were 60w. These bulbs had a socket instead
of pins on the end. WHat type of a fixture uses these bulbs. Does one
get proportionately more light for the 50% increase in wattage? I did
a very quick Google search and while I did find a statement that a
special ballast is needed, I found very little else other than online
merchants hawking their bulbs.

Artemus[_4_] July 28th 11 03:23 AM

OT 60 w T12 bulbs???

wrote in message
While looking for some replacement bulbs at a Lowes building center, I
came across T12 bulbs that were 60w. These bulbs had a socket instead
of pins on the end. WHat type of a fixture uses these bulbs. Does one
get proportionately more light for the 50% increase in wattage? I did
a very quick Google search and while I did find a statement that a
special ballast is needed, I found very little else other than online
merchants hawking their bulbs.

www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/pdfs/fluor_lamps.pdf

[email protected] July 30th 11 01:53 AM

OT 60 w T12 bulbs???

On Jul 27, 10:23*pm, "Artemus" wrote:

www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/pdfs/fluor_lamps.pdf

Artemus: Thanks for the link but unfortunately the tube / lamp was
not listed. What I forgot to mention in either posting is that this
is a ** 4 ft ** tube, labeled as a T12 60w.

Leon Fisk July 30th 11 08:53 PM

OT 60 w T12 bulbs???

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 17:53:41 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

On Jul 27, 10:23Â*pm, "Artemus" wrote:

www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/pdfs/fluor_lamps.pdf

Artemus: Thanks for the link but unfortunately the tube / lamp was
not listed. What I forgot to mention in either posting is that this
is a ** 4 ft ** tube, labeled as a T12 60w.

Years ago... we used to call lamps like that High Output. They put out
more light (lumens) and fired at much colder temps. There was also
Super High Output and as you can guess they put out even more light
than the previous HO. If I recall correctly, the SHO tubes looked like
they had dents in them creating a zig-zag effect. Standard lamps, HO,
SHO all had different sockets and different ballasts. Usually we
installed HO in industrial type situations and SHO in places like
walk-in freezers (think warehouse freezer).

They aren't cheap, unless you can find some used ones. For example:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LIT...A77?Pid=search

and if you just want to do some lamp research with your numbers:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...ionGuide.shtml

I'm not a big fan of Grainger, they just happened to have info I could
point you to.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Randy333 August 1st 11 02:43 PM

OT 60 w T12 bulbs???

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:51:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

While looking for some replacement bulbs at a Lowes building center, I
came across T12 bulbs that were 60w. These bulbs had a socket instead
of pins on the end. WHat type of a fixture uses these bulbs. Does one
get proportionately more light for the 50% increase in wattage? I did
a very quick Google search and while I did find a statement that a
special ballast is needed, I found very little else other than online
merchants hawking their bulbs.

They were most likely F40T12HO Niote the HO on the end Stands for
High Output. You need a HO ballast for HO lamps. and of course a
fixture with the proper lamp holders.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy