Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default To our UK friends..

On 6/28/2011 8:03 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 6/28/2011 4:34 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Some "spanners" are double open ended wrenches. A wrench with a box on
one end and an open end on the other..is a combination wrench, at least
in the part of the states I live in.

If you're going to shop the UK, it -is- helpful to know and use the
local nomenclature...

wrench = spanner
hood = bonnet
trunk = boot
gas = petrol

truck= lorry

etc etc etc. Sometimes getting it wrong will get you some very strange
looks. I learned -very- quickly down under not to say "I'm rooting for
XXX team"...

lol

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:55:06 -0700, "T.Alan Kraus"
wrote:

On 6/28/2011 8:03 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 6/28/2011 4:34 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Some "spanners" are double open ended wrenches. A wrench with a box on
one end and an open end on the other..is a combination wrench, at least
in the part of the states I live in.

If you're going to shop the UK, it -is- helpful to know and use the
local nomenclature...

wrench = spanner
hood = bonnet
trunk = boot
gas = petrol

truck= lorry

etc etc etc. Sometimes getting it wrong will get you some very strange
looks. I learned -very- quickly down under not to say "I'm rooting for
XXX team"...

Or "couldn't sleep-- I was up all night tossing".

lol

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 6/28/2011 8:03 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 6/28/2011 4:34 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Some "spanners" are double open ended wrenches. A wrench with a box on
one end and an open end on the other..is a combination wrench, at least
in the part of the states I live in.

If you're going to shop the UK, it -is- helpful to know and use the
local nomenclature...

wrench = spanner
hood = bonnet
trunk = boot
gas = petrol

truck= lorry

etc etc etc. Sometimes getting it wrong will get you some very strange
looks. I learned -very- quickly down under not to say "I'm rooting for
XXX team"...

Or "couldn't sleep-- I was up all night tossing".

lol

Jon

You could be knocked up in the morning as service.

mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Telephone: Are you through?
After dinner: "I'm full!"