Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Telling die-cast from aliuminum?

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Diecast metal can be a variety of things, including aluminum, magnesium, or
brass. Zinc alloys are the most common.

We use a lot of diecast aluminum and magnesium. Just looking at the raw castings they
look pretty much the same. When you pick one up you notice the difference. We machine
the aluminum, we farm out the magnesium machining for safety reasons.

I wish we did work with zinc alloys like zamak, that can be cast at low temperatures near
that of lead.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Diecast metal can be a variety of things, including aluminum, magnesium,
or
brass. Zinc alloys are the most common.

We use a lot of diecast aluminum and magnesium. Just looking at the raw
castings they
look pretty much the same. When you pick one up you notice the
difference. We machine
the aluminum, we farm out the magnesium machining for safety reasons.

I wish we did work with zinc alloys like zamak, that can be cast at low
temperatures near
that of lead.

Wes

Do you do your own diecasting, or is that jobbed out?

One of my first field trips at _AM_ was to a diecaster. One of the other
editors told me I'd think I just gotten a look at the inside of hell. He was
right. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Diecast metal can be a variety of things, including aluminum, magnesium,
or brass. Zinc alloys are the most common.

We use a lot of diecast aluminum and magnesium. Just looking at the raw
castings they
look pretty much the same. When you pick one up you notice the
difference. We machine the aluminum, we farm out the magnesium machining
for safety reasons.

Where are you at geographically? I'm in Whittier, and the shop where I sit
would be happy to machine some magnesium for you. The chips are funner than
a rat to play with! ;-)

Cheers!
Rich