DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Trailer axle help (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/323745-trailer-axle-help.html)

stryped[_3_] May 25th 11 01:29 PM

Trailer axle help

I have a dual axle trailer than I am guessing someone used an
automotive straight axle on. It is a 6 lug on 5.5 inch pattern. There
is what looks like a cut hydraulic line behind he hub. It looks like a
drop axle though. Tghe springs bolt directly below the eye beam.
(There does no appear to be a seat).

I think two of my wheels have bearing problems. Am I looking at more
cost/trouble o replace the bearings than to go to TSC and buy an
already made axle and hubs? The only thin with their axles is they
have spring perches and do not have any drop axles. I am not sure if I
can use spring perches with my current leaf springs as my current
axles have no perches. Plus the ones I looked at looked like they were
designed for spring over the axle.

I appreciate any help.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] May 25th 11 01:38 PM

Trailer axle help

stryped fired this volley in news:39c20020-c271-4354-
:

I think two of my wheels have bearing problems. Am I looking at more
cost/trouble o replace the bearings than to go to TSC and buy an
already made axle and hubs?

whaa...??

Damn, guy... it's a five minute job to replace a wheel bearing.

F'criminey sake!

LLoyd

Pete Keillor May 25th 11 01:52 PM

Trailer axle help

On Wed, 25 May 2011 07:38:19 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

stryped fired this volley in news:39c20020-c271-4354-
:

I think two of my wheels have bearing problems. Am I looking at more
cost/trouble o replace the bearings than to go to TSC and buy an
already made axle and hubs?

whaa...??

Damn, guy... it's a five minute job to replace a wheel bearing.

F'criminey sake!

LLoyd

What he said unless your spindles are shot. Son just did that on his
barbeque pit. Of course, you won't know unless you pull the bearings.

Pete Keillor

Ed Huntress May 25th 11 02:10 PM

Trailer axle help

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 07:38:19 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

stryped fired this volley in news:39c20020-c271-4354-
:

I think two of my wheels have bearing problems. Am I looking at more
cost/trouble o replace the bearings than to go to TSC and buy an
already made axle and hubs?

whaa...??

Damn, guy... it's a five minute job to replace a wheel bearing.

F'criminey sake!

LLoyd

What he said unless your spindles are shot. Son just did that on his
barbeque pit. Of course, you won't know unless you pull the bearings.

Pete Keillor

I replaced the bearings in a friend's boat trailer a couple of years ago.
They had seized, spun their races on the spindles, and galled both spindle
ends. (The boat was used in salt water.) But a few minutes spent *carefully*
cutting the burrs down with a file fixed them right up. They were soft as
wire nails.

I've heard that trailer-axle bearings have a tendency to seize and spin
their races. But if that hasn't happened, as Lloyd said, replacing the
bearings only takes minutes.

--
Ed Huntress

stryped[_3_] May 25th 11 03:26 PM

Trailer axle help

On May 25, 8:10*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
[...]

Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

It is not replacing the bearings I am worried about it is the cost of
replacing all 4 wheel bearings. (Or is it 8 if there is an inner or
outter bearing?) Not knowing what year it is, I went online to
autozone and got the price of a front wheel bearing for a 1954 1/2 ton
truck. One price on there was 96 bucks. That times 4 (or 8) is more
than a new axle.

Do you think these axles are good axles for a trailer by the way?
(automotive straight axles.)

Also, I forgot to mention one of the axles has screw in hub dust
covers. (The end of the hub axtually has thread on it. One is missing
and I cant find a replacement anywhere.

I aprreciate it.

Larry Jaques[_4_] May 25th 11 03:42 PM

Trailer axle help

On Wed, 25 May 2011 07:38:19 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

stryped fired this volley in news:39c20020-c271-4354-
:

I think two of my wheels have bearing problems. Am I looking at more
cost/trouble o replace the bearings than to go to TSC and buy an
already made axle and hubs?

whaa...??

Damn, guy... it's a five minute job to replace a wheel bearing.

F'criminey sake!

LLoyd, why won't you guys just plonk this troll so we don't all have
to go through this every time he trolls?

F'criminey sake!

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

Pete Keillor May 25th 11 03:50 PM

Trailer axle help

On Wed, 25 May 2011 07:42:12 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2011 07:38:19 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

stryped fired this volley in news:39c20020-c271-4354-
:

I think two of my wheels have bearing problems. Am I looking at more
cost/trouble o replace the bearings than to go to TSC and buy an
already made axle and hubs?

whaa...??

Damn, guy... it's a five minute job to replace a wheel bearing.

F'criminey sake!

LLoyd, why won't you guys just plonk this troll so we don't all have
to go through this every time he trolls?

F'criminey sake!

Oops. Had him plonked forever. Didn't look at the original poster.

Tim Wescott May 25th 11 04:03 PM

Trailer axle help

On 05/25/2011 07:26 AM, stryped wrote:
On May 25, 8:10 am, "Ed wrote:
"Pete wrote in message

[...]

Take out one set of bearings (or one from each axle if you suspect that
they're different). Then take them to your local auto parts store. If
you live close to a bearing place take them there. Or if you have a way
to mike the outside diameters of the spindle and the outside diameters
of the outer races, do so.

Then get bearings that'll fit.

It may help to identify the axles if you bring the brake drum, and maybe
take a picture of the backing plate when you get it open and bring that,
too.

$96 for a set of bearings is out of line, unless it's some vintage thing
for which parts can't be found any more.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

stryped[_3_] May 25th 11 04:12 PM

Trailer axle help

On May 25, 10:03*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 05/25/2011 07:26 AM, stryped wrote:

On May 25, 8:10 am, "Ed *wrote:
"Pete *wrote in message

. ..

[...]

See details athttp://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html- Hide quoted text -

WHat is a rough guess of the cost of a set of wheel bearings for
something this old? (I would guess they are ball bearing not taper but
do not know yet.)

stryped[_3_] May 25th 11 04:14 PM

Trailer axle help

On May 25, 10:03*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 05/25/2011 07:26 AM, stryped wrote:

On May 25, 8:10 am, "Ed *wrote:
"Pete *wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Do you know where I could get a replacement screw on center for the
hub? I tried auto parts store and a trailer store.

Rich Grise[_3_] May 25th 11 09:36 PM

Trailer axle help

Tim Wescott wrote:

$96 for a set of bearings is out of line, unless it's some vintage thing
for which parts can't be found any more.

I was gonna say this, but the only bearings I've ever done were on the car,
but IIRC new bearings were about four bucks.

Cheers!
Rich

Tim Wescott May 25th 11 10:08 PM

Trailer axle help

On 05/25/2011 01:36 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

$96 for a set of bearings is out of line, unless it's some vintage thing
for which parts can't be found any more.

I was gonna say this, but the only bearings I've ever done were on the car,
but IIRC new bearings were about four bucks.

I just remember them as being "really affordable", and $96 for a set is
definitely well outside of that.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] May 26th 11 04:05 AM

Trailer axle help

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

Do you have a lathe? Posting here, you *should* have one. If
so, use it and make a duplicate of one of the other dust covers.

Don, this is the guy who asks US to look up the prices of $6.00 bearings
for him, because he cannot figure out how to do it.

Do you 1) expect him to have ANY metalworking tools except a "global tool
company, LLC" drill and a hacksaw, and 2) do you honestly expect this
mook to be able to single-point a thread?

Naahhh... he's a troll, a jerk, and a lazy son-of-a-bitch with no
socially redeeming qualities, no intelligence, no self-motivation, no
skills, and no exemplary merits beyond those other seven.

LLoyd

Gunner Asch[_7_] May 26th 11 04:55 AM

Trailer axle help

On Wed, 25 May 2011 13:36:33 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

$96 for a set of bearings is out of line, unless it's some vintage thing
for which parts can't be found any more.

I was gonna say this, but the only bearings I've ever done were on the car,
but IIRC new bearings were about four bucks.

Cheers!
Rich

I bought a set last week..that were $583 for a pair.

Okuma lathe

From Okuma. The assholes had ground off the bearing numbers.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Califbill May 26th 11 07:12 AM

Trailer axle help

:

[...]

Reply:
A 1954 truck had ball bearings most likely. They are way more expensive
than roller bearings. Championtrailerparts.com as well as Century rim and
wheel will have axles. Last axle I bought from Century with now disk brakes
was about $300 and they welded on the spring pads to match the old axle.

Steve B[_10_] May 26th 11 02:55 PM

Trailer axle help

What I'd do ......... definitely not the norm, but WTF?

Identify the bearings by taking them to a bearing place. Ascertain whether
replacing them, or just chucking them and getting a whole new assembly is
the best choice.

If they're antiquated, and spendy, just change it over. If it's something
that ends up to be common, then just replace bearings.

And YES, bearings can be changed quickly.

Or not.

It all depends on a hundred different things.

One size does not fit all, and just because they have some POS that has
quickly interchangeable cheaply made parts does not make that rule apply
throughout the universe. Or, at least the known portion.

HTH

Steve

Tim Wescott May 26th 11 06:53 PM

Trailer axle help

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

$96 for a set of bearings is out of line, unless it's some vintage thing
for which parts can't be found any more.

I was gonna say this, but the only bearings I've ever done were on the car,
but IIRC new bearings were about four bucks.

Cheers!
Rich

I bought a set last week..that were $583 for a pair.

Okuma lathe

From Okuma. The assholes had ground off the bearing numbers.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Perhaps it was a duplex pair, designed to be installed in the same hole
and pressed together, to give just the right balance between friction
and play. If so, then 'those assholes' expended a considerable amount
of effort grinding the bearings to get just the right preload, and they
very likely charged you a fair price for it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott May 26th 11 06:55 PM

Trailer axle help

"DoN. fired this volley in
:

Do you have a lathe? Posting here, you *should* have one. If
so, use it and make a duplicate of one of the other dust covers.

Don, this is the guy who asks US to look up the prices of $6.00 bearings
for him, because he cannot figure out how to do it.

Do you 1) expect him to have ANY metalworking tools except a "global tool
company, LLC" drill and a hacksaw, and 2) do you honestly expect this
mook to be able to single-point a thread?

Naahhh... he's a troll, a jerk, and a lazy son-of-a-bitch with no
socially redeeming qualities, no intelligence, no self-motivation, no
skills, and no exemplary merits beyond those other seven.

I count six, unless you're counting "lazy" and "son-of-a-bitch" as two
things.

And I disagree, somewhat. He's coming across as insecure and needy, but
hey -- he's working on his own stuff, and if he burns a wheel bearing on
the freeway it won't be from lack of initiative.

Now, sitting around an whining because the trailer won't take itself to
a mechanic who'll work for free -- _that_ would make him all the things
you said.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Rick[_18_] May 26th 11 07:06 PM

Trailer axle help

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 May 2011 07:38:19 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

stryped fired this volley in news:39c20020-c271-4354-
:

I think two of my wheels have bearing problems. Am I looking at more
cost/trouble o replace the bearings than to go to TSC and buy an
already made axle and hubs?

whaa...??

Damn, guy... it's a five minute job to replace a wheel bearing.

F'criminey sake!

LLoyd, why won't you guys just plonk this troll so we don't all have
to go through this every time he trolls?

F'criminey sake!

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer

I can hardly wait for the annual "drywall inside a pole barn" thread....

stryped[_3_] May 26th 11 07:33 PM

Trailer axle help

On May 26, 1:06*pm, "Rick" wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Wed, 25 May 2011 07:38:19 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

stryped fired this volley in news:39c20020-c271-4354-
:

I think two of my wheels have bearing problems. Am I looking at more
cost/trouble o replace the bearings than to go to TSC and buy an
already made axle and hubs?

whaa...??

Damn, guy... it's a five minute job to replace a wheel bearing.

F'criminey sake!

LLoyd, why won't you guys just plonk this troll so we don't all have
to go through this every time he trolls?

F'criminey sake!

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * --Herbert Spencer

I can hardly wait for the annual "drywall inside a pole barn" thread....- Hide quoted text -

The drywall is almost done thank you very much.

Sorry for all the questions but I am new to alot of this is the reason
for most or I would not be asking them.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] May 26th 11 11:26 PM

Trailer axle help

stryped fired this volley in news:a7003f60-7ae2-4d03-
:

The drywall is almost done thank you very much.

it's been, what? Most of a year to do one garage? A weekend's work!

LLoyd

DoN. Nichols[_2_] May 27th 11 12:46 AM

Trailer axle help

On 2011-05-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

Do you have a lathe? Posting here, you *should* have one. If
so, use it and make a duplicate of one of the other dust covers.

Don, this is the guy who asks US to look up the prices of $6.00 bearings
for him, because he cannot figure out how to do it.

:-)

Do you 1) expect him to have ANY metalworking tools except a "global tool
company, LLC" drill and a hacksaw, and 2) do you honestly expect this
mook to be able to single-point a thread?

I'm pointing out that he *should* have a lathe, and other
serious tools if he is asking questions like this here.

Naahhh... he's a troll, a jerk, and a lazy son-of-a-bitch with no
socially redeeming qualities, no intelligence, no self-motivation, no
skills, and no exemplary merits beyond those other seven.

I remember him asking a bunch of clueless questions about wiring
, and I think that I killfiled him at that time -- but the entry must
have expired. :-)

A usual poster here I would not have been quite so curt about
the possession of a lathe, as someone who is new to the group may not yet
have tools but be interested in acquiring them. But he has been here
long enough so he should be acquiring tools if he is interested in
actually *doing* things.

I guess it is time to toss him back into the killfile. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

[email protected] May 27th 11 06:36 PM

Trailer axle help

On Thu, 26 May 2011 23:20:13 -0700, Steve Ackman
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

$96 for a set of bearings is out of line, unless it's some vintage thing
for which parts can't be found any more.

I was gonna say this, but the only bearings I've ever done were on the car,
but IIRC new bearings were about four bucks.

I just remember them as being "really affordable", and $96 for a set is
definitely well outside of that.

Depends. If by "a set" you mean left and right
front bearings for a Jeep, I WISH a "set" was only
$96 !

For instance,
http://tinyurl.com/3gfrsbz or
http://www.jcwhitney.com/professiona...estid=21191205

One side front on my old TransSprt was over $300 from the dealer,
plus installation.

Went aftermarket.

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 27th 11 09:24 PM

Trailer axle help

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

$96 for a set of bearings is out of line, unless it's some vintage thing
for which parts can't be found any more.

I was gonna say this, but the only bearings I've ever done were on the car,
but IIRC new bearings were about four bucks.

Cheers!
Rich

I bought a set last week..that were $583 for a pair.

Okuma lathe

From Okuma. The assholes had ground off the bearing numbers.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Perhaps it was a duplex pair, designed to be installed in the same hole
and pressed together, to give just the right balance between friction
and play. If so, then 'those assholes' expended a considerable amount
of effort grinding the bearings to get just the right preload, and they
very likely charged you a fair price for it.

They were a duplex pair indeed. However...the only ground area was the
bearing number itself. Not the Made in Japan portion.

Tim..we both know I know better than to think what you just said.

Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch

stryped[_3_] May 28th 11 12:16 PM

Trailer axle help

On 2011-05-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

* * *Do you have a lathe? *Posting here, you *should* have one.. *If
so, use it and make a duplicate of one of the other dust covers.

Don, this is the guy who asks US to look up the prices of $6.00 bearings
for him, because he cannot figure out how to do it.

* * * * :-)

[...]

*Email: * | Voice (all times):(703) 938-4564begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************( 703) 938-4564******end_of_the_skype_highlighting
* * * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

Took one hub off. Used my cheap calipers on spindle. 1.495 inner
bearing surface. .934 outter bearing surface. Seal had number
21463-8258 stamped on it. The outter bearing had Timken 1779 on it and
was tappered. I have not got the inner bearing out yet but I can see
no numbers on it but my guess is it is ball bearing. The tappered
bearings looked good.

The reason I took it appart is there was play when pulling on the tire
while jaked up. It almost looked as if the wheel wobbled. I put the
hub on last night and tighned the castle nut and the play semeed to go
away. Anyway, I will take the other bearing out and inspect it but I
had two questions: Howis the best way for me to get the races in the
hub out at home?

2. Do you think I could just replace the entire bub with a regular
trailer hub?

I appreciate any help!

[email protected] May 28th 11 08:17 PM

Trailer axle help

On Sat, 28 May 2011 04:16:24 -0700 (PDT), stryped

On 2011-05-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

Â* Â* Â*Do you have a lathe? Â*Posting here, you *should* have one. Â*If
so, use it and make a duplicate of one of the other dust covers.

Don, this is the guy who asks US to look up the prices of $6.00 bearings
for him, because he cannot figure out how to do it.

Â* Â* Â* Â* :-)

Do you 1) expect him to have ANY metalworking tools except a "global tool
company, LLC" drill and a hacksaw, and 2) do you honestly expect this
mook to be able to single-point a thread?

Â* Â* Â* Â* I'm pointing out that he *should* have a lathe, and other
serious tools if he is asking questions like this here.

Naahhh... he's a troll, a jerk, and a lazy son-of-a-bitch with no
socially redeeming qualities, no intelligence, no self-motivation, no
skills, and no exemplary merits beyond those other seven.

Â* Â* Â* Â* I remember him asking a bunch of clueless questions about wiring
, and I think that I killfiled him at that time -- but the entry must
have expired. :-)

Â* Â* Â* Â* A usual poster here I would not have been quite so curt about
the possession of a lathe, as someone who is new to the group may not yet
have tools but be interested in acquiring them. Â*But he has been here
long enough so he should be acquiring tools if he is interested in
actually *doing* things.

Â* Â* Â* Â* I guess it is time to toss him back into the killfile. :-)

Â* Â* Â* Â* Enjoy,
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* DoN.

--
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Â*Email: Â* | Voice (all times):(703) 938-4564begin_of_the_skype_highlightingÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*(703) 938-4564Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Took one hub off. Used my cheap calipers on spindle. 1.495 inner
bearing surface. .934 outter bearing surface. Seal had number
21463-8258 stamped on it. The outter bearing had Timken 1779 on it and
was tappered. I have not got the inner bearing out yet but I can see
no numbers on it but my guess is it is ball bearing. The tappered
bearings looked good.

You can virtually bet the farm that if the outer bearing is tapered,
so is the inner. The two are incompatible in the same hub as one wants
clearance, and the other preload..

If your outer bearing is a tapered roller, the inner WILL be as well.
I'm betting it's a Chevy pickup axle

The reason I took it appart is there was play when pulling on the tire
while jaked up. It almost looked as if the wheel wobbled. I put the
hub on last night and tighned the castle nut and the play semeed to go
away. Anyway, I will take the other bearing out and inspect it but I
had two questions: Howis the best way for me to get the races in the
hub out at home?

You need a tapered drift punch and a hammer.There are "notches" in the
hub that you can get to the back of the cup with a punch - hit
progressively around the race until it comes out.

2. Do you think I could just replace the entire bub with a regular
trailer hub?

If it is a Chevy hub, most likely a standard trailer hub will not fit.
What bolt pattern is it???
I appreciate any help!

jano May 29th 11 03:40 AM

Trailer axle help

Anyway, I will take the other bearing out and inspect it but I
had two questions: Howis the best way for me to get the races in the
hub out at home?

I appreciate any help!

I do not own a lathe. Am I allowed to post a suggestion? I do know
how to remove a race from a hub fast. Take a stick welder and turn
up the amps to make an ugly hot bead. One hot pass around the race,
take your hammer and hit it and it will fall out. I have seen people
heat and beat for seemed like an eternity, I guarantee it will work. I
have even removed mud pump valve seats rusted in with a welder,
hammer, and a short piece of allthread.

Scott in Texas

Stormin Mormon May 29th 11 04:03 AM

Trailer axle help

I usually pound the races out with a hammer and big screw
driver, from the other side of the axle. Sometimes along
with WD-40 which is a lubricant.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[email protected] May 29th 11 05:10 AM

Trailer axle help

On Sat, 28 May 2011 23:03:23 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I usually pound the races out with a hammer and big screw
driver, from the other side of the axle. Sometimes along
with WD-40 which is a lubricant.

Boy, Stormy - you are living dangerously using lubricant and that 4
letter "word" in the same sentance!!!!

Gunner Asch[_6_] May 29th 11 09:15 AM

Trailer axle help

On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:40:45 -0700 (PDT), jano wrote:

Anyway, I will take the other bearing out and inspect it but I
had two questions: Howis the best way for me to get the races in the
hub out at home?

I appreciate any help!

I do not own a lathe. Am I allowed to post a suggestion? I do know
how to remove a race from a hub fast. Take a stick welder and turn
up the amps to make an ugly hot bead. One hot pass around the race,
take your hammer and hit it and it will fall out. I have seen people
heat and beat for seemed like an eternity, I guarantee it will work. I
have even removed mud pump valve seats rusted in with a welder,
hammer, and a short piece of allthread.

Scott in Texas

Indeed. If you can get to the race thats stuck..works a treat. But
sometimes getting the other race and the balls off can be an issue

Gunner

Gunner Asch

DoN. Nichols[_2_] May 29th 11 07:50 PM

Trailer axle help

On 2011-05-29, jano wrote:

Anyway, I will take the other bearing out and inspect it but I
had two questions: Howis the best way for me to get the races in the
hub out at home?

I appreciate any help!

I do not own a lathe. Am I allowed to post a suggestion?

Sure -- if you have good advice, go with it.
I do know
how to remove a race from a hub fast. Take a stick welder and turn
up the amps to make an ugly hot bead. One hot pass around the race,
take your hammer and hit it and it will fall out. I have seen people
heat and beat for seemed like an eternity, I guarantee it will work. I
have even removed mud pump valve seats rusted in with a welder,
hammer, and a short piece of allthread.

That would be fine -- except that he wants to take the races out
to look at the numbers and to *inspect* them. Run that bead, and there
is no point to inspecting the race -- other than to find the part number
for the replacement.

I've also used an air hammer with a ground down pin punch in it
to remove an outer race from a front brake disc/hub.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] May 30th 11 12:45 AM

Trailer axle help

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

I can hardly wait for the annual "drywall inside a pole
barn" thread....

Yeah, me too. Only this time it will be, "should I rent a bearing puller?"

I wish my young folks had half of his motivation. If they did, I could
have them committed to a home for the retarded, and worry no more.

LLoyd

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] May 30th 11 12:47 AM

Trailer axle help

fired this volley in
:

Boy, Stormy - you are living dangerously using lubricant and that 4
letter "word" in the same sentance!!!!

Clare, lest you go sideways in your arguments... Mormons do a LOT of that
4-letter word, as evidenced by their large broods of missionaries. (got
LOTs of them around here. A few are really good folks)

LLoyd

[email protected] May 30th 11 04:38 AM

Trailer axle help

On Sun, 29 May 2011 18:47:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

Boy, Stormy - you are living dangerously using lubricant and that 4
letter "word" in the same sentance!!!!

Clare, lest you go sideways in your arguments... Mormons do a LOT of that
4-letter word, as evidenced by their large broods of missionaries. (got
LOTs of them around here. A few are really good folks)

LLoyd

I was referring to the "wd-40 wars" on this group in the past.

Ed Huntress May 31st 11 05:22 AM

Trailer axle help

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
This dates back to just before the 2010 election, but this the first time
that I heard about it. It seems unbelievable, but I can't find the hoax
if there is one. If you can give me a logical reason Obama would have
turned down IBM's offer, I will be very grateful to you.

IBM offered to help reduce Medicare for free

Apparently, a fabrication. This is a young lady after my own heart:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=70746

--
Ed Huntress

cavelamb May 31st 11 07:01 AM

Trailer axle help

I dunno, Ed.

Ok, it's Fox news, but it's also from Wall Street News and IBM itself.
So I doubt it's a fabrication...

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4366002/d...fraud-fighter/

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb

cavelamb May 31st 11 07:03 AM

Trailer axle help

Politicians don't want a clean efficient system.

They want a system they can profit from...

For that you need inefficiency and corruption.

Kinda like Wall Street?

Ed Huntress May 31st 11 07:07 AM

Trailer axle help

"CaveLamb" wrote in message

I dunno, Ed.

Ok, it's Fox news, but it's also from Wall Street News and IBM itself.
So I doubt it's a fabrication...

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4366002/d...fraud-fighter/

She has enough in there to suggest it was edited all out of shape. I'd
certainly want to see that full interview.

--
Ed Huntress

cavelamb May 31st 11 08:07 AM

Trailer axle help

That looks an awful lot like IBM CEO Samuel Palmisano...
But, of course, it could be a left wing plot...

Ed Huntress May 31st 11 11:27 AM

Trailer axle help

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
That looks an awful lot like IBM CEO Samuel Palmisano...
But, of course, it could be a left wing plot...

About five or ten seconds of interview clipped out of a much longer one..
And you have to suspect it's Breitbarted -- cut to make it say what they
want.

Look, here's where I got suspicious about the whole thing. Palmisano says he
can cut $900 billion of fraud from the health care system. Even assuming
he's talking about all of the privately insured health care as well as all
of the publicly insured, something is seriously whacky here. The outside
estimate for fraud in Medicare plus Medicaid, by industry experts, not the
government, is around $60 billion. And the organization most knowledgeable
about it (and most likely to inflate the number), the National Health Care
Anti-Fraud Association (NHCAA), says it's as high as $100 billion for the
whole US health care system, private and public combined.

Why would Palmisano say something like that if he is "serious," as the
conspiracy theorists on Fox said?

Well, if you watched the WSJ video, you saw something else: Palisano was now
talking about saving $200 billion in fraud, and the other $700 billion was
unspecified -- although part of it apparently involved requiring discounts
from pharma companies. That's illegal for the federal government to do under
present law. Then, when asked by WSJ why it didn't fly, he says that it
"didn't align with the administration's priorities." At that time, the
priority was to extend health care to everyone.

http://online.wsj.com/video/viewpoin...ORDS=palmisano

My feeling is that IBM's proposal included a lot of things that are unstated
here, or you couldn't get anywhere near $900 billion. It may be that they
would require new legislation, such as changing the law for negotiating with
pharma companies. And the government already had a full load of health care
legislation on their plate.

And in my gut, I think the administration didn't believe them. You know I
spent some years working in health care writing and promotion. *I* don't
believe them when they say they can save $900 billion. That's 1/3 of the
total costs of all US health care. If they had something like that, the WSJ
would have it in 70-point screaming type on the front page, not buried in a
business video.

It's fishy.

--
Ed Huntress