Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-Timing of my car's "Bulb Out" warning.

In article ,
jeff_wisnia wrote:

Long...

A couple of weeks ago my 93 Lincoln made an unfamiliar "beep" noise as I
was slowing down to turn into our driveway. I thought, "WTF was that?",
parked the car and promptly forgot about it. A few days later I heard
the same beep and happened to look down at the odometer display to see
that the trip meter milage reading was replaced by the words "BULB OUT".

OK, so I'll have to discover which bulb is out and replace it. A few
minutes later the trip meter was back to displaying milage.

Again, forgot about looking for which bulb was out and a few days later,
while slowing down for a red light the beep and message reappeared
again. I was too ****ing busy (or vise versa) to take care of it right
away, so I was reminded again by a beep a couple of days later.

This time I did something about it, and with SWMBO's assistance in
stepping on the brake pedal I found the right stop lamb bulb filament
was burned out and replaced the bulb.

My curious mind wants to know what logic the car is using to determine
how long to wait before reminding me again that there's a bulb out. I'm
sure I'd made numerous starts and stops of the engine and a great many
brake applications before receiving the next warning.

Anyone know what gives there?

Jeff (Who fondly remembers the days when he could replace a brake lamp
bulb just by reaching into a corner of the car's trunk, twisting out the
socket by hand and twisting it back in with a new bulb in it. I had to
use a deep socket to remove and replace three partially hidden nuts
inside the trunk to get the tail light assembly off the car so I could
reach the correct bulb socket, and then back on again.)

Those bulb out things have been around off and on for ages... I had an
87 Accord that turned on idiot lights to warn of bulb failures.

They use a little current sensor, and if the circuit in question draws
less amperage than it should, it triggers the body computer to alarm...
however that might be for the vehicle in question.

I heard, but don't know if it's so that such systems will soon be
mandated... if they aren't already. (Much like the tire pressure
monitoring systems (TPMS) recently being required for all new cars.)

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 3, 3:16*pm, Erik wrote:
In article ,

*jeff_wisnia wrote:
[...]

Erik- Hide quoted text -

Those TPMS units cost about $100 per tire...including spare.

And they have a limited lifespan.

In the future when you buy an used car you can expect to lay out $500
for new sending units. ;)

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They use a little current sensor, and if the circuit in question draws
less amperage than it should, it triggers the body computer to alarm...
however that might be for the vehicle in question.

And when you can only get LED replacements you will need to fork over
about 10 bucks EACH for big hackin' power resistors to keep the
sensors happy.