Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default G-code help needed...

Does anyone who has 3D capable CAD/CAM have the ambition to generate
some G-code for me? What I need is two sets of code for a half egg
shape, a positive and a negative to use in a press. The egg would be
approximately 3.5" diameter by a suitable length perhaps ~4.5" or so.
The pos/neg die clearance should be .020". Post processor for Mach3.

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/21/2011 10:40 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Does anyone who has 3D capable CAD/CAM have the ambition to generate
some G-code for me? What I need is two sets of code for a half egg
shape, a positive and a negative to use in a press. The egg would be
approximately 3.5" diameter by a suitable length perhaps ~4.5" or so.
The pos/neg die clearance should be .020". Post processor for Mach3.

Thanks,

Pete C.

I would help, but it sounds like you already have better qualified
helpers than me. Laminated hardwood stamp and die huh? Interesting. I
take it that it will be a modestly small production run then?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

On 4/21/2011 10:40 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Does anyone who has 3D capable CAD/CAM have the ambition to generate
some G-code for me? What I need is two sets of code for a half egg
shape, a positive and a negative to use in a press. The egg would be
approximately 3.5" diameter by a suitable length perhaps ~4.5" or so.
The pos/neg die clearance should be .020". Post processor for Mach3.

Thanks,

Pete C.

I would help, but it sounds like you already have better qualified
helpers than me. Laminated hardwood stamp and die huh? Interesting. I
take it that it will be a modestly small production run then?

I'm hoping oak will be sufficient (backed by 3/4" steel press plates) to
form relatively soft AL flashing at the 1.75" depth needed. If it works
well, I wouldn't expect to press more than a couple dozen pieces or so.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default G-code help needed... *Update*

"Pete C." wrote:

Does anyone who has 3D capable CAD/CAM have the ambition to generate
some G-code for me? What I need is two sets of code for a half egg
shape, a positive and a negative to use in a press. The egg would be
approximately 3.5" diameter by a suitable length perhaps ~4.5" or so.
The pos/neg die clearance should be .020". Post processor for Mach3.

Thanks,

Pete C.

With John's help I was able to get the two die halves milled nicely. My
initial tests with the AL flashing material showed tearing issues, so
I'll need to search for better material. I did have a scrap of 30ga galv
steel on hand so I gave that a try and it formed reasonably well without
tearing, so the basic die set seems to be workable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/30/2011 1:45 PM, Pete C. wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Does anyone who has 3D capable CAD/CAM have the ambition to generate
some G-code for me? What I need is two sets of code for a half egg
shape, a positive and a negative to use in a press. The egg would be
approximately 3.5" diameter by a suitable length perhaps ~4.5" or so.
The pos/neg die clearance should be .020". Post processor for Mach3.

Thanks,

Pete C.

With John's help I was able to get the two die halves milled nicely. My
initial tests with the AL flashing material showed tearing issues, so
I'll need to search for better material. I did have a scrap of 30ga galv
steel on hand so I gave that a try and it formed reasonably well without
tearing, so the basic die set seems to be workable.

I was wondering how your baking tin project went.