DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Student killed by lathe (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/321730-student-killed-lathe.html)

RogerN April 14th 11 03:01 AM

Student killed by lathe

Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...ss_igoogle_cnn

RogerN

Ignoramus10266 April 14th 11 03:05 AM

Student killed by lathe

On 2011-04-14, RogerN wrote:
Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...ss_igoogle_cnn

I was certified as a lathe operator in Russia. Over there, women lathe
operators are forbidden from having long hair.

Joe Pfeiffer April 14th 11 03:28 AM

Student killed by lathe

On 2011-04-14, RogerN wrote:
Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...ss_igoogle_cnn

I was certified as a lathe operator in Russia. Over there, women lathe
operators are forbidden from having long hair.

I expect (and hope!) her lab safety course covered hair nets. Banning
long hair would be more effective.... but we are talking about grownups
here.
--
It's time to try defying gravity

Martin Eastburn April 14th 11 03:48 AM

Student killed by lathe

That is tough.
Wonder if cameras / guards / aids / etc were on watch or not.

Martin

Steve B[_10_] April 14th 11 07:20 AM

Student killed by lathe

"RogerN" wrote in message
Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...ss_igoogle_cnn

RogerN

Any shop death is a sad event. It is worse when the post-accident analysis
points to something that could have been avoided, or just something as
simple as entanglement.

I put some blame at least at the feet of those who set the rules on hair.
Perhaps now, the rules might be changed.

Still, it's sad for a rules change to be at the cost of a life.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Tim Wescott April 14th 11 07:45 AM

Student killed by lathe

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:01:23 -0500, RogerN wrote:

Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...th/index.html?

eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

I ended up cutting off a very nice ponytail when I was in my early 20's,
in large part because I didn't feel comfortable with it around power
tools or car engines. Once it's down to the middle of your back,
braided, there's not much you can do to give you 100% confidence that it
won't flop down into the machinery.

Keeping my hair good and short gives me that confidence.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] April 14th 11 01:01 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 14, 12:01*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...ex.html?eref=m....

RogerN

It will be interesting to read the coroners report on this one - the
news item reported, factually, what happened, but not WHY it happened.

It is hard to imagine that anyone would be allowed to use power tools
without proper training, especially in the safety aspects involved,
and unsecured hair would be no 1 on the list. As are unbuttoned
sleeves, eye protection, no dangly jewelery. (etc etc) Here, there is
a module that must be done FIRST before your allowed anywhere near a
machine, and if you front class without your safety gear, you get sent
home. Possibly she forgot, and paid the price. Or was tired, didnt
bother to use the personal protective gear as it was "only going to
take a moment" and/or there was no supervisor to yell at her. (The
machine should have been locked down and only be able to be made live
by an instructor/supervisor.) Did the machine have guards with power
supply interlocks around the chuck, was there a foot operated kill
switch, was there a brake mechanism, (dont know the right name here -
a long bar that runs the full length of the machine, you stomp on it
to stop. Was she working alone - anyone of a myriad of reasons. And
getting hair caught usually means you get scalped, not strangled, so
something is badly amiss. ....... hopefully, someone will post some
followup so we can all know.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Larry Jaques[_3_] April 14th 11 01:01 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 01:45:36 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:01:23 -0500, RogerN wrote:

Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...th/index.html?

eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

She probably either forgot to band it and stick it under her collar,
or wrongly thought "I'll show those anti-female machinists what's
what." Either way, 'twas a biggie. RIP, Michele.

I ended up cutting off a very nice ponytail when I was in my early 20's,
in large part because I didn't feel comfortable with it around power
tools or car engines. Once it's down to the middle of your back,
braided, there's not much you can do to give you 100% confidence that it
won't flop down into the machinery.

Keeping my hair good and short gives me that confidence.

My hair was down to mid-bicep level when I got my first creeper.
Y'know, that little low, 6-wheeled cart which takes a mechanic
underneath your car to work on it? Well, once upon a time, my rubber
band (holding my pony tail) came out and I started to shoot myself
under the car at full speed. Just as I got to terminal velocity, my
hair gracefully draped its way under one of the wheels and I came to a
screeching halt, literally. DAYUM, that hurt! I got a much shorter
haircut that week (letting the super-tender scalp heal a bit first)
and never looked back.

To this day, I get 2 or 3 haircuts a year, whether I need 'em or not.

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,

Sunworshipper[_2_] April 14th 11 02:47 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 05:01:03 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA
wrote:

[...]

They said something like neck asphyxia, what a way to go. Sad
I got my hair caught up in the lead screw. Thankfully I could reach
the off switch. I agree, there should be a "crash bar" across the drip
pan in a school. There was a moment where I was worried I wouldn't be
able to free myself.

SW

Too_Many_Tools April 14th 11 04:30 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 14, 7:01*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
[...]

I too will be watching for the report.

If may be something other than long hair..I have seen a number of
flying objects in my life related to lathes.

TMT

[email protected] April 14th 11 04:41 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 14, 9:51*am, rangerssuck wrote:

That was not about the safety of the workers. It was about not blowing
up the factory. Big difference.

Not really. The Du Ponts worked in the plant. It was about not
blowing up workers, including the owners.

Dan

Jon Anderson April 14th 11 05:53 PM

Student killed by lathe

On 4/14/2011 4:01 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Just as I got to terminal velocity, my hair gracefully draped its way
under one of the wheels and I came to a screeching halt, literally.

I got my wake up call in work experience at NASA. Hair was well past my
shoulders, and when I started there, the obviously very straight laced
foreman showed me some very gory photos of scalp jobs. I assure him I'd
be careful. Month or so later, I was leaning into my work on a drill
press, when the chuck snatched and pulled a dozen hairs or so.
Next day my hair was considerably shorter...

To this day, I get 2 or 3 haircuts a year, whether I need 'em or
not.

Boot camp buzz cut these days, which my wife loves. Do it myself, and
have paid for the electric clippers several times over by now!

Jon

Hawke[_3_] April 14th 11 07:29 PM

Student killed by lathe

On 4/14/2011 8:41 AM, wrote:
On Apr 14, 9:51 am, wrote:

That was not about the safety of the workers. It was about not blowing
up the factory. Big difference.

Not really. The Du Ponts worked in the plant. It was about not
blowing up workers, including the owners.

Dan

Even you ought to see what's going on there. In a situation where the
safety of the owners/managers of the business was just as at risk as
that of the common worker, guess what? Yeah. The owners made double darn
sure that the conditions were safe.

If you know anything about the history of labor in this country then you
would know that the exact opposite was the norm. Do you know about the
Hoover Dam? The contractor on that job did things that got people killed
but saved his company money. Typical business practice at the time.

There are so many examples of that sort of thing throughout our history
it's sickening. Does the term sweat shop ring a bell? Ever hear of the
Triangle shirt factory fire? America's businesses have a shameful
history of abusing workers. You disagree? I'd love to hear your
argument. It would have to be a doozy.

Hawke

Hawke[_3_] April 14th 11 07:41 PM

Student killed by lathe

On 4/14/2011 8:30 AM, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Apr 14, 7:01 am, Andrew wrote:
On Apr 14, 12:01 pm, wrote:

[...]

Not knowing all the facts, it's impossible to say what went wrong. But
it's safe to say the person made a mistake. It was an accident. But that
is the point about safety isn't it? People don't hurt or kill themselves
on purpose, for the most part. So if someone is injured or killed you
can assume it was not intentional. That's the reason we have so much
emphasis on safety in this country. Lots of times these safety rules
seem really stupid. But you have to remember that somebody at some time
has done what the safety device is meant to prevent. Whether it's padded
dash boards in cars, deflectors on lawnmowers, or hardhats on the
worksite, we have those things because in the past we didn't, and people
got hurt. Next time you get ticked off because of some safety device,
like the new dispenser caps on gasoline containers, grrrrr, it helps to
remember it is there to keep you from doing something really stupid and
screwing yourself.

Hawke

RS at work April 14th 11 08:27 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 14, 5:01*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
[...]

Looks like she had the proper training. The New York Times reported:

"The chemistry department’s Web site says access to the machine shop
is “strictly limited” to those who have completed an introductory shop
course. Yale lists safety precautions online for another machine shop
on campus, warning students: “If you have long hair or a long beard,
tie it up — If your hair is caught in spinning machinery, it will be
pulled out if you are lucky.”

Ms. Dufault was taking an advanced course on machine shop protocols
this semester, Mr. O’Rourke said. And for the NASA reduced-gravity
experiment, she helped write a 60-page document on safeguards.

“She’s always been very careful,” he said. “That’s why I was shocked
that this happened. I worked with her in that lab and always saw her
taking the safety precautions.”

I suspect that despite her training, she got lax and made the critical
error.

Roger Shoaf

[email protected] April 14th 11 09:00 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 14, 2:29*pm, Hawke wrote:

In a situation where the
safety of the owners/managers of the business was just as at risk as
that of the common worker, guess what? Yeah. The owners made double darn
sure that the conditions were safe.

Hawke

You need to explain a lot more things. For example the Du Pont
company required that one of the managers operate any new machinery
before any of the works could operate it.

cee.che.ufl.edu/AIChE_CEE_Klein_DuPont_Extended.pdf

Also Du Pont gave a pension to the widow of any worker killed. The
company also built a school house used to educate the children of the
workers and one of the Du Pont wives taught at the school.

In short the Du Pont company pretty much did all those things that you
claim are only done because of the Democrats and did it before there
was a Democratic party.

Dan

Cydrome Leader April 14th 11 10:01 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 14, 7:01 am, Andrew wrote:
On Apr 14, 12:01 pm, wrote:

[...]

What are these new caps supposed to do again, other than make you spill
gas all over.

Wes[_5_] April 14th 11 11:30 PM

Student killed by lathe

"RogerN" wrote:

Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...ss_igoogle_cnn

RogerN

I got wrapped up in an assembly tool today. Bumped into a "press to operate" air tool
where you press the socket down on the fastener and started and wound up my sleeve above
the elbow. I'm damn glad that some one didn't pick something off the floor and bump their
head into it. The tool is supported on an 'ergo arm' so it moves up and out of the way
when not being used.

The tool stalled and when I got over the initial shock of what was happening, I reached
over my shoulder and put it into reverse to let go of me. Why I didn't drop down to turn
it off did not occur until later.

I wasn't using the tool, I was just standing near it chatting with one of the engineers.

Wes

Pete C. April 14th 11 11:40 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 14, 7:01 am, Andrew wrote:
On Apr 14, 12:01 pm, wrote:

[...]

They certainly were not designed to prevent accidents, they are a
misguided attempt to reduce evaporative emissions. That said, they went
through a few truly awful designs and the latest design isn't too bad,
though still pointless.

Stormin Mormon April 14th 11 11:50 PM

Student killed by lathe

That's a darn shame.

The subject line might be more correct, to read "Negligent
student dies while unsafely using lathe". I don't think the
lathe got up this morning and decided to go kill someone.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Too_Many_Tools April 15th 11 12:37 AM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 14, 2:27*pm, RS at work wrote:
[...]

Roger Shoaf- Hide quoted text -

Mechanical failures do occur also.

That is why we wait for the report.

TMT

T.Alan Kraus April 15th 11 01:54 AM

Student killed by lathe

How the **** did you convert a perfectly harmless post about long hair
and rotating power tools to a political diatribe.

Are you insane?

Stormin Mormon April 15th 11 02:06 AM

Student killed by lathe

That would be the usual conclusion. Sad, in any case.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon April 15th 11 02:13 AM

Student killed by lathe

No, I just have to scratch all the spiders off my face, when
I finish drinking my glass of water, that has rocks floating
on the surface. May I take my pills, now? Is it time? I hate
it when the floor nurse keeps me waiting. I have to spend my
time with a fly swatter, slapping people on the TV.

Vote democrat, we've got to raise taxes on the rich to pay
for people to stay home and watch TV, and to pay for anchor
babies, abortions, and federal programs to regulate every
aspect of your life. We need Democrats to teach your
children about global warming and ozone depletion, save the
rain forests, hire TSA agents to feel up your little girl,
and to assure that your teen daughter can get an abortion
without you knowing it. And suspend your six year old boy
(Charlie Brown) for a kiss on the cheek for the cute little
red headed girl. Now that we've got 15% unemployment, we
need to tax the rich to pay unemployment to the 10% of our
work force who lost their jobs since GWB was voted out. We
had 5% unemployment back then, look what the Democrats did.

May I take my pills, now?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] April 15th 11 07:28 AM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 15, 11:13*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

May I take my pills, now?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message

How the **** did you convert a perfectly harmless post about
long hair
and rotating power tools to a political diatribe.

Well put Stormin, in agreement with you re Everything you Say and
taking the pills. Especially the pills. - best to take them, I think.
I find they work wonderfully (most of the time)

Are you insane?

No, I am fine - its you lot who are mad.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Phil Kangas[_3_] April 15th 11 10:37 PM

Student killed by lathe

"Doug White"
When I bought my lathe (an Emco Maier Super 11),
I paid extra to get a
fast shutdown version. It has a foot bar across
the front that you can
stomp on that shuts off the motor & applies a
brake. They sold that
version primarily to schools, but it's come in
handy on at least one
occasion where a plastic part flexed and slipped
in the chuck. I view it
primarily as a device to help save the lathe
from damage, but it's nice
to know it's there if I need it for whatever
might go wrong.

Doug White

My Turn-Pro 13x40 has this feature. My foot has
learned where it
is. heh heh .... My floor model drill press also
has a foot operated
switch and that is the handiest thing ever!
Especially when running
a cylinder hone it's the only way to do in my
opinion. I would never
run a hone on it if it weren't for that foot
switch.
phil k.

Ignoramus1116 April 15th 11 10:57 PM

Student killed by lathe

On 2011-04-15, Phil Kangas wrote:

"Doug White"
[...]

I will soon add this feature to my VFD on the lathe. The principal use
of it would be to act as a limit stop, actuated by the cariage
reaching its intended destination. It will also double as a way to
stop the machine with a big red e-stop button.

I am tired of the mechanical clutch bull****.

Too_Many_Tools April 16th 11 02:47 AM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 15, 2:26*pm, Doug White wrote:
Joe Pfeiffer wrote et:

On 2011-04-14, RogerN wrote:
Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...ex.html?eref=m
rss_igoogle_cnn

I was certified as a lathe operator in Russia. Over there, women
lathe operators are forbidden from having long hair.

I expect (and hope!) her lab safety course covered hair nets. *Banning
long hair would be more effective.... *but we are talking about
grownups here.

I was a student at the Maine Maritime Academy as part of the MIT Ocean
Engineering Summer Lab program in 1977. *The Academy had a huge machine
shop with a lot of heavy duty equipment for repairing ships, but it was
rarely used by any women, and the male cadets all had short hair. *A
woman MIT student with long frizzy hair was using a massive floor
standing drill press. *She had her hair tied up, as was required by the
safety rules. *However, a wisp had escaped & got caught in the grease on
the spindle. *That pulled a bit more hair in, and there was a cascade
effect. *It proceeded to drag her head in against the spinning shaft
while I launched myself across the shop to shut it down. *I was
proclaimed a hero for saving her, but the press was old, and poorly
maintained. *It was supposed to have three flat drive belts, but only had
one installed, which had started slipping before I could shut it off. *If
that belt was tighter, or more than one was installed, I have no doubt
that it would have broken her neck long before I had the time to shut it
off.

Hair nets became mandatory immediately there after. *Not too many people
had a problem with the edict after the incident.

When I bought my lathe (an Emco Maier Super 11), I paid extra to get a
fast shutdown version. *It has a foot bar across the front that you can
stomp on that shuts off the motor & applies a brake. *They sold that
version primarily to schools, but it's come in handy on at least one
occasion where a plastic part flexed and slipped in the chuck. *I view it
primarily as a device to help save the lathe from damage, but it's nice
to know it's there if I need it for whatever might go wrong.

Doug White- Hide quoted text -

Good idea about the Emco safety feature.

If any good comes out of this girl's sad story, it is that many of us
will look at our tools with a renewed respect for what they can do to
us if we disregard safety rules.

It is conceviable that her story saved a life...maybe one of ours.

TMT

Gunner Asch[_6_] April 16th 11 11:19 AM

Student killed by lathe

wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:01:23 -0500, RogerN wrote:

Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...th/index.html?

eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

I ended up cutting off a very nice ponytail when I was in my early 20's,
in large part because I didn't feel comfortable with it around power
tools or car engines. Once it's down to the middle of your back,
braided, there's not much you can do to give you 100% confidence that it
won't flop down into the machinery.

Keeping my hair good and short gives me that confidence.

When I was running an alarm company..I had one new hire that simply HAD
to have a long pony tail. He wouldnt cut it for love nor money.

He was on a 10' step ladder, drilling a hole with a 48" long drill bit
up through the ceiling of a church to place a smoke detector.

He managed to get his hair snagged on the shank of that drill bit, which
was being turned by a Milwaukie Hole Hog (right angle)..

He managed to shut off the drill, but paniced and slipped and fell off
the ladder.

Ill see if I can find and scan the photos I took of both him..and that
drill and bit hanging from the ceiling..with a BIG wad of black hair
wrapped around it. along with a bit of his scalp.

He quit the next day...sure looked funny as hell with a spot about 4" in
diameter showing skull bone through the ripped out hole in his scalp.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is

Hawke[_3_] April 16th 11 06:28 PM

Student killed by lathe

On 4/14/2011 1:00 PM, wrote:
On Apr 14, 2:29 pm, wrote:

[...]

All you have to do is look at our history to see what the conditions
were like for workers in this country before the Democrat led changes
were put in place. It was bad. Most jobs were dangerous and
notwithstanding what the Du Pont company's actions were like, the rule
was workers were like throwaway items.

Safety was not high on the list for business. Just look at things like
seat belts and padded dashboards in cars. Both of these were fought
against tooth and nail by the auto makers when they were told they had
to put these safety features in their cars. So if businesses fought
against putting even minimal safety features in their products like seat
belts and padded dashboards then what do you think most manufacturers
attitudes were toward safety?

Here's a clue. Safety meant little to car manufacturers even when it
came to their customers. So you can imagine how little it mattered to
the rest of our businesses. The point is all the rules and regulations
on business had to be put in place by the government because they never
did it on their own, and they never would. Which means you can't take a
company like Du Pont, that acted unlike the majority of companies, and
use it to prove your point.

Hawke

Rich Grise[_3_] April 16th 11 06:40 PM

Student killed by lathe

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 01:45:36 -0500, Tim Wescott
On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:01:23 -0500, RogerN wrote:

Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...th/index.html?

eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

I ended up cutting off a very nice ponytail when I was in my early 20's,
in large part because I didn't feel comfortable with it around power
tools or car engines. Once it's down to the middle of your back,
braided, there's not much you can do to give you 100% confidence that it
won't flop down into the machinery.

Keeping my hair good and short gives me that confidence.

When I was running an alarm company..I had one new hire that simply HAD
to have a long pony tail. He wouldnt cut it for love nor money.

So, the idiot cheated Darwin. But tell me, if the drill was in front of
him, how did he manage to entrain his "pony tail", which is usually on
the back of the head, into the drill shank?

Thanks,
Rich

Gunner Asch[_6_] April 16th 11 07:20 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:40:36 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

He was drilling upwards into the ceiling..and bending over the drill
motor pushing upwards hard...his hair simply got over his shoulder and
in front of him...right where the drill was turning...

Shrug

Gunner

Doug White April 16th 11 07:40 PM

Student killed by lathe

"Phil Kangas" wrote in news:ioadqj$8p6$1@dont-
email.me:

[...]

For some things, a foot pedal is really a great device. I have one for
my old single speed Dremel, and it beats the pants off of the variable
speed controls on the handpiece. Unfortunately, you can't use it with
the newer Dremels with an integral speed control. They argue and
eventually the wimpy controller in the Dremel dies.

My Dremel is over 35 years old, and it's getting tired. For decades, you
couldn't get a fixed speed Dremel with ball bearings anymore, but they
seem to have fixed that recently. I'll have to pick one up before they
discontinue them. They've already stopped making the foot pedals,
probably because too many people burned out their variable speed Dremels
with them.

Doug White

Doug White April 16th 11 07:44 PM

Student killed by lathe

Jon Anderson wrote in news:8MEpp.12848$7k6.23@en-
nntp-16.dc1.easynews.com:

On 4/14/2011 4:01 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Just as I got to terminal velocity, my hair gracefully draped its way
under one of the wheels and I came to a screeching halt, literally.

I got my wake up call in work experience at NASA. Hair was well past my
shoulders, and when I started there, the obviously very straight laced
foreman showed me some very gory photos of scalp jobs. I assure him I'd
be careful. Month or so later, I was leaning into my work on a drill
press, when the chuck snatched and pulled a dozen hairs or so.
Next day my hair was considerably shorter...

I gave up on long hair in the early 70's after soldering a small circuit
board onto several strands. When I sat up, the board was dangling in front
of my face. It never got long enough to tie back, and it also got in my
eyes when I was target shooting. Just not worth the hassle, even if the
ladies said it looked better longer.

Doug White

Tom Gardner[_6_] April 16th 11 08:55 PM

Student killed by lathe

wrote in message
snip
In short the Du Pont company pretty much did all those things that
you
claim are only done because of the Democrats and did it before there
was a Democratic party.

Dan

Don't feed the troll.

Tom Gardner[_6_] April 16th 11 08:57 PM

Student killed by lathe

"Ignoramus10266" wrote in
message ...
On 2011-04-14, RogerN wrote:
Be careful!

Yale senior dies in machine shop accident

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/13/yal...ss_igoogle_cnn

I was certified as a lathe operator in Russia. Over there, women
lathe
operators are forbidden from having long hair.

What about their beards?

Stormin Mormon April 16th 11 09:07 PM

Student killed by lathe

Just guessing, that women are also forbidden beards.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[email protected] April 16th 11 09:18 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 16, 1:28*pm, Hawke wrote:

Which means you can't take a
company like Du Pont, that acted unlike the majority of companies, and
use it to prove your point.

Hawke

My point was that your statement was a generalization and not totally
true. For that point Du Pont was the perfect example.

If you thought my point was that the old days were great with
companies all doing their best to be safe you were wrong.

I believe Ford made seat belts standard equipment before there were
any regulations that required them. I know that at the time most car
buyers did not want seat belts and for many years the majority of
drivers did not use seat belts. Even now many people do not use seat
belts even though the law says it is a requirement.

I checked and the federal law requiring seat belts was not passed
until 1966 or 1968. Ford and Chrysler started selling cars with seat
belts in 1956, ten years before the federal law. So looks like your
story of them fighting tooth and nail is incorrect.

Dan

[email protected] April 16th 11 09:24 PM

Student killed by lathe

On Apr 16, 1:52*pm, Too_Many_Tools
Another side of the Du Pont story...

TMT

http://www.oldhickoryrecord.com/PowderPay.htm

http://coat.ncf.ca/our_magazine/links/53/dupont.html

You are pointing out that when Du Pont opened a plant in Nashville,
the other businesses complained that Du Pont was paying too much and
their workers were quiting to go to work for Du Pont?