Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Special nut answer

It's a standard/coarse thread 9/16" hole, 15/16" total outside nut. The
damn nut is bigger than a walnut, so there's going to be a little work
welding a cap in there, then trimming it all down to a workable size. I'll
go to Ace and see if they have a thinner one that requires less machining.

For what I charge, I could just go buy a new opener. Good thing this isn't
for a real customer.

Why do we do that?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide
ISBN: 978-1-935018-41-4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 11, 7:44*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
It's a standard/coarse thread 9/16" hole, 15/16" total outside nut. *The
damn nut is bigger than a walnut, so there's going to be a little work
welding a cap in there, then trimming it all down to a workable size. *I'll
go to Ace and see if they have a thinner one that requires less machining..

For what I charge, I could just go buy a new opener. *Good thing this isn't
for a real customer.

Why do we do that?

Steve

You won't buy a lathe to make this part?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote

You won't buy a lathe to make this part?

jsw

If I was to part with any cash right now, it would be for a plasma cutter.
I'm a welder, not a machinist, and have a lot more use for a cutter. I
would find it interesting, though, to find a machinist who had a lathe, and
learn some stuff. My dad was a machinist all his life, a flight engineer in
the US Army Air Corps. 13th Army, 307th Bomb Group. The "Long Rangers."
South Pacific ribbon with four bronze stars. Wish I could have learned from
him, but he never did it at home.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide
ISBN: 978-1-935018-41-4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
It's a standard/coarse thread 9/16" hole, 15/16" total outside nut. The
damn nut is bigger than a walnut, so there's going to be a little
work welding a cap in there, then trimming it all down to a workable
size. I'll go to Ace and see if they have a thinner one that
requires less machining.
For what I charge, I could just go buy a new opener. Good thing this
isn't for a real customer.

Why do we do that?

i have this same opener. it looks like it should be a standard nut. did you
try all those little boxes at an ace hardware?

seems i see these in yard sales a lot. buy another broken one for another $2
just for the nut.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
news
It's a standard/coarse thread 9/16" hole, 15/16" total outside nut. The
damn nut is bigger than a walnut, so there's going to be a little work
welding a cap in there, then trimming it all down to a workable size. I'll
go to Ace and see if they have a thinner one that requires less machining.

For what I charge, I could just go buy a new opener. Good thing this isn't
for a real customer.

Why do we do that?

Steve

It's fun and challenging and most of all *Because we can*.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Artemus" wrote

It's fun and challenging and most of all *Because we can*.
Art

I have been thought of highly many times after I repaired something, and
pulled someone's ass out of the fire. It sure is nice to repair something,
and keep on mowing (whatever), and not have to stop and go get it fixed or
buy another widget for $$$$. And it's fun to create tools and toys. And
fun just to create.

I was going to build a tippy squirrel trap, based on a tube, gravity, and a
tipping point of no return. Now, I think I'll do like they do in Britain.
I'll build a maze, making them learn a section at a time, adding a section a
week. Then, when they figure it out, I'll pull that little cotter pin on
the final platform.

Yes, I know.

I'm sick.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide
ISBN: 978-1-935018-41-4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:54:59 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Artemus" wrote

It's fun and challenging and most of all *Because we can*.
Art

I have been thought of highly many times after I repaired something, and
pulled someone's ass out of the fire. It sure is nice to repair something,
and keep on mowing (whatever), and not have to stop and go get it fixed or
buy another widget for $$$$. And it's fun to create tools and toys. And
fun just to create.

I was going to build a tippy squirrel trap, based on a tube, gravity, and a
tipping point of no return. Now, I think I'll do like they do in Britain.
I'll build a maze, making them learn a section at a time, adding a section a
week. Then, when they figure it out, I'll pull that little cotter pin on
the final platform.

Yes, I know.

I'm sick.

We need proof of that, so please YouTube it.

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,