Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default What lathe is this?

On the Dallas CL.

Looks shopmade, except the cabinet

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/tls/2310029046.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rex" wrote in message
On the Dallas CL.

Looks shopmade, except the cabinet

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/tls/2310029046.html

It may be shopmade, but it's not really a metalworking lathe, anyway. That's
a woodworking lathe with a cross slide. In other words, it's the same thing
as a patternmaker's lathe, with big risers at the headstock and tailstock,
as if it's set up for turning bowls or big disks.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex wrote:
On the Dallas CL.

Looks shopmade, except the cabinet

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/tls/2310029046.html

FrankenShopSmith
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think I have a good idea. Used to live and work in Arlington.

About 35-40 years ago there was a period of time that engraved black
copper prints were being turned out and sold on corners and shopping
centers...

A business man bought such a lathe and put a young man to work running it.

It was a copy lathe of sorts - the sheet of painted copper / brass was
put over a cylinder. The cutter is really a solenoid that drives a
cutter into the black surface and cut out a small divit. The machine
turned another cylinder - keeping sync - and upon it was the picture
(film) and a photomultiplier tube that measured the light from the
film and drove the solenoid.

It was a simple setup and run. Boring job. I was called in to
fix the electronic package after a fix was put in by the owner. He
might have electrical knowledge but electronics was a bit wild.

So I think this is it - likely bought a cheap speed control (belts)
lathe with high center line and adapt it then sell it to businessmen...

Martin

On 4/7/2011 9:35 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
On the Dallas CL.

Looks shopmade, except the cabinet

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/tls/2310029046.html

It may be shopmade, but it's not really a metalworking lathe, anyway. That's
a woodworking lathe with a cross slide. In other words, it's the same thing
as a patternmaker's lathe, with big risers at the headstock and tailstock,
as if it's set up for turning bowls or big disks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 7, 10:04*pm, Martin Eastburn
wrote:
[...]

Could be that was what it was once used for, but those are wood
centers stuck in headstock and tail stock. I'm with Ed on this one,
it's a wood lathe in its current incarnation. There's no evidence of
a power feed anywhere for that cross slide carriage.

Stan