DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fs: 10 pounds of linotype anyone? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/319830-fs-10-pounds-linotype-anyone.html)

Bill Noble[_3_] March 6th 11 07:07 PM

fs: 10 pounds of linotype anyone?

getting down to the dregs here - I have 4 ingots (2.5 pounds) of
linotype alloy that I can ship to anywhere in the USA for a total of
$18.50 - if interested, drop me a note via the email listed on my web
page, www.wbnoble.com

There is still a quantity of separator alloy (more tin) and lead ingots
available too.

Jordan[_7_] March 6th 11 10:26 PM

On 3/7/2011 6:07 AM, Bill Noble wrote:
getting down to the dregs here - I have 4 ingots (2.5 pounds) of
linotype alloy that I can ship to anywhere in the USA for a total of
$18.50 - if interested, drop me a note via the email listed on my web
page, www.wbnoble.com

Too far away for me, but I'm curious: what's it good for?

Bill Noble[_2_] March 6th 11 10:42 PM

On 3/6/2011 2:26 PM, Jordan wrote:
On 3/7/2011 6:07 AM, Bill Noble wrote:
getting down to the dregs here - I have 4 ingots (2.5 pounds) of
linotype alloy that I can ship to anywhere in the USA for a total of
$18.50 - if interested, drop me a note via the email listed on my web
page, www.wbnoble.com

Too far away for me, but I'm curious: what's it good for?

the linotype alloy is one of the lead/tin/antimony alloys that seems to
be favored by those who cast their own bullets. it's also useful for
toy soldiers and other such cast items because it is pretty stiff and
casts nicely.

--
www.wbnoble.com

Wes[_5_] March 7th 11 12:04 AM

Bill Noble wrote:

Too far away for me, but I'm curious: what's it good for?

the linotype alloy is one of the lead/tin/antimony alloys that seems to
be favored by those who cast their own bullets. it's also useful for
toy soldiers and other such cast items because it is pretty stiff and
casts nicely.

Might be better to hawk it on Craigslist. Shipping is going to be a killer. Pretty much
a So Cal only deal if you allow pickup.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Bob La Londe[_6_] March 7th 11 12:28 AM

On 3/6/2011 5:04 PM, Wes wrote:
Bill wrote:

Too far away for me, but I'm curious: what's it good for?

the linotype alloy is one of the lead/tin/antimony alloys that seems to
be favored by those who cast their own bullets. it's also useful for
toy soldiers and other such cast items because it is pretty stiff and
casts nicely.

Might be better to hawk it on Craigslist. Shipping is going to be a killer. Pretty much
a So Cal only deal if you allow pickup.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

You can put a lot of lead in a flat rate box.

Erik[_5_] March 7th 11 01:05 AM

fs: 10 pounds of linotype anyone?

In article ,
Bob La Londe wrote:

On 3/6/2011 5:04 PM, Wes wrote:
Bill wrote:

Too far away for me, but I'm curious: what's it good for?

the linotype alloy is one of the lead/tin/antimony alloys that seems to
be favored by those who cast their own bullets. it's also useful for
toy soldiers and other such cast items because it is pretty stiff and
casts nicely.

Might be better to hawk it on Craigslist. Shipping is going to be a
killer. Pretty much
a So Cal only deal if you allow pickup.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

You can put a lot of lead in a flat rate box.

IIRC flat rate boxes have a 70 pound limit... they're a great deal for
small heavy stuff. They even give you the box for free!

http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

Erik

Ignoramus10412 March 7th 11 01:38 AM

fs: 10 pounds of linotype anyone?

it should fit into a $5.20 s,all flat rate box

cavelamb March 7th 11 03:06 AM

Bill Noble wrote:
getting down to the dregs here - I have 4 ingots (2.5 pounds) of
linotype alloy that I can ship to anywhere in the USA for a total of
$18.50 - if interested, drop me a note via the email listed on my web
page, www.wbnoble.com

There is still a quantity of separator alloy (more tin) and lead ingots
available too.

Where were you when I as begging for a lousy couple hundred pounds, Bill?

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

cavelamb March 7th 11 03:07 AM

On 2011-03-07, Erik wrote:
In article ,
Bob La Londe wrote:

On 3/6/2011 5:04 PM, Wes wrote:
Bill wrote:

Too far away for me, but I'm curious: what's it good for?
the linotype alloy is one of the lead/tin/antimony alloys that seems to
be favored by those who cast their own bullets. it's also useful for
toy soldiers and other such cast items because it is pretty stiff and
casts nicely.
Might be better to hawk it on Craigslist. Shipping is going to be a
killer. Pretty much
a So Cal only deal if you allow pickup.

Wes
You can put a lot of lead in a flat rate box.

IIRC flat rate boxes have a 70 pound limit... they're a great deal for
small heavy stuff. They even give you the box for free!

http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

Erik

I need three boxes, please?

Bill Noble[_2_] March 7th 11 06:17 AM

On 3/6/2011 4:04 PM, Wes wrote:
Bill wrote:

Too far away for me, but I'm curious: what's it good for?

the linotype alloy is one of the lead/tin/antimony alloys that seems to
be favored by those who cast their own bullets. it's also useful for
toy soldiers and other such cast items because it is pretty stiff and
casts nicely.

Might be better to hawk it on Craigslist. Shipping is going to be a killer. Pretty much
a So Cal only deal if you allow pickup.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

aaah, wes/?? I said "delivered in the USA", so my $18.50 offer included
shipping within the USA (but, sadly, not canada - add another $10 for
Canada).

--
www.wbnoble.com

Erik[_5_] March 7th 11 07:45 AM

On 2011-03-07, Erik wrote:
In article ,
Bob La Londe wrote:

On 3/6/2011 5:04 PM, Wes wrote:
Bill wrote:

Too far away for me, but I'm curious: what's it good for?
the linotype alloy is one of the lead/tin/antimony alloys that seems to
be favored by those who cast their own bullets. it's also useful for
toy soldiers and other such cast items because it is pretty stiff and
casts nicely.
Might be better to hawk it on Craigslist. Shipping is going to be a
killer. Pretty much
a So Cal only deal if you allow pickup.

Wes
You can put a lot of lead in a flat rate box.
IIRC flat rate boxes have a 70 pound limit... they're a great deal for
small heavy stuff. They even give you the box for free!

http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

Erik

I need three boxes, please?

They have them free for the taking at the post office [1]... or you can
order larger quantities from the usps web site. They even ship them to
you postage free. Be sure to get the size you need, the shipping 'flat
rate' varies a bit for the different box sizes.

Erik

[1] In my (limited) experience, Flat Rate box stock can vary somewhat
from one post office to another. If they don't have the box/es you need
out in the lobby, try asking. They sometimes have more behind the
counter, or stashed in the back.

cavelamb March 7th 11 05:03 PM

fs: 10 pounds of linotype anyone?

On 2011-03-07, Erik wrote:
In article ,
Bob La Londe wrote:

On 3/6/2011 5:04 PM, Wes wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

Looking for lead here, Eric...

Martin Eastburn March 10th 11 04:36 AM

fs: 10 pounds of linotype anyone?

I ship metal targets that way sometimes.
Four or five boxes. Heavy. I build in 1/4" wood
sides/top/bottom - all six - to spread the weight
across the whole surface. These boxes are tossed from
one site to another - then into conveyor belts then tossed...

Martin