Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electrocube

I just finished the complete tear down of my spare Excello machine.
The large castings go outside in the boneyard. All the small parts fit
on two pallets and will go into warehouse storage.

Anyway, I came across a maybe useful part I haven't seen before. its
called an electrocube RG1801 and its mounted on the load side of three
phase contactors. Imagine an equilateral triangle or delta. The points
of the triangle are the three phases. Each leg of the triangle has a
..47 MFD cap and a 220 ohm resistor. Must be some sort of filter.
Whet's the purpose here and should it be used on other three phase
devices?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 23, 1:58*pm, Karl Townsend
wrote:
I just finished the complete tear down of my spare Excello machine.
The large castings go outside in the boneyard. All the small parts fit
on two pallets and will go into warehouse storage.

Anyway, I came across a maybe useful part I haven't seen before. its
called an electrocube RG1801 and its mounted on the load side of three
phase contactors. Imagine an equilateral triangle or delta. The points
of the triangle are the three phases. Each leg of the triangle has a
.47 MFD cap and a 220 ohm resistor. Must be some sort of filter.
Whet's the purpose here and should it be used on other three phase
devices?

Karl

Somebody else probably has a better idea, the only thing I can thing
of, given its location, is a snubber to kill at least some of the
spikes when the contacter kicks in and out. I assume the resistor and
capacitor are in series on each leg. Would be nice to have a voltage
spec on the cap and a power rating on the resistor, though.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I just finished the complete tear down of my spare Excello machine.
The large castings go outside in the boneyard. All the small parts fit
on two pallets and will go into warehouse storage.

Anyway, I came across a maybe useful part I haven't seen before. its
called an electrocube RG1801 and its mounted on the load side of three
phase contactors. Imagine an equilateral triangle or delta. The points
of the triangle are the three phases. Each leg of the triangle has a
.47 MFD cap and a 220 ohm resistor. Must be some sort of filter.
Whet's the purpose here and should it be used on other three phase
devices?

Karl

It's called a "snubber" and is used to control contact arcing and
burning. I've not seen a three phase brick version, but the single phase
blocks are very common in CNC machines.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:22:58 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

I just finished the complete tear down of my spare Excello machine.
The large castings go outside in the boneyard. All the small parts fit
on two pallets and will go into warehouse storage.

Anyway, I came across a maybe useful part I haven't seen before. its
called an electrocube RG1801 and its mounted on the load side of three
phase contactors. Imagine an equilateral triangle or delta. The points
of the triangle are the three phases. Each leg of the triangle has a
.47 MFD cap and a 220 ohm resistor. Must be some sort of filter.
Whet's the purpose here and should it be used on other three phase
devices?

Karl

It's called a "snubber" and is used to control contact arcing and
burning. I've not seen a three phase brick version, but the single phase
blocks are very common in CNC machines.

Electrocube is a manufacturer of film capacitors. They've been around
a long time.
http://www.electrocube.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Karl already noted that the contents of the cube include a capacitor
*and* a resistor. It is a three phase version of a standard snubber
block, not a simple capacitor.