Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What $15 could buy you

From an auction

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Welding-Rod/

65 lbs -- Stoody 21 hadrfacing rod (4% iron)
40 lbs -- 308, 316 staniless rod
16 lbs -- Nickel 99 cast ron welding rod
70 lbs -- 7024 steel weldnig rod
10 lbs -- Certanium 707 SP -- all metal repair rod
40 lbs -- everything else?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4844" wrote in message
From an auction

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Welding-Rod/

65 lbs -- Stoody 21 hadrfacing rod (4% iron)
40 lbs -- 308, 316 staniless rod
16 lbs -- Nickel 99 cast ron welding rod
70 lbs -- 7024 steel weldnig rod
10 lbs -- Certanium 707 SP -- all metal repair rod
40 lbs -- everything else?

You got tooken. I got twice that much last week at a yard sale for $3. Of
course, I'm still waiting for the guy to deliver it....................

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4844 wrote:
From an auction

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Welding-Rod/

65 lbs -- Stoody 21 hadrfacing rod (4% iron)
40 lbs -- 308, 316 staniless rod
16 lbs -- Nickel 99 cast ron welding rod
70 lbs -- 7024 steel weldnig rod
10 lbs -- Certanium 707 SP -- all metal repair rod
40 lbs -- everything else?

Hopefully the rods work for you. I bought some hard facing rods off ebay
and in the end they'll go in the scrap metal bin as they are almost
impossible to use regardless of current AC/DC and polarity. An email to
the maker indicated that they are quite old and have likely absorbed
moisture at some point but baking didn't help any. I note that some of
the rods pictured seem to have rusted on the end , one bit of advice I
read regarding rods was to bend one and if the core wire was rusted
they're shot. In the end I bought some new comparable rods, it's for an
anvil repair, and they weld beautifully.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-31, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus4844" wrote in message
From an auction

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Welding-Rod/

65 lbs -- Stoody 21 hadrfacing rod (4% iron)
40 lbs -- 308, 316 staniless rod
16 lbs -- Nickel 99 cast ron welding rod
70 lbs -- 7024 steel weldnig rod
10 lbs -- Certanium 707 SP -- all metal repair rod
40 lbs -- everything else?

You got tooken. I got twice that much last week at a yard sale for $3. Of
course, I'm still waiting for the guy to deliver it....................

Steve ;-)

Was that "free delivery from Lagos"? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-31, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus4844 wrote:
From an auction

[...]

Dave, we'll see, they have scrap value in any case. They are 60%
cobalt, and only 4% iron. The stuff with rusted ends is 6010, I do not
care for it any way. I will give it away to someone.

I will try the hardfacing rod, I am optimistic, it is not like low
hydrogen and looks like it never got wet or anything. I will try to
make some sample welds.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-31, David Billington wrote:
Ignoramus4844 wrote:
From an auction

[...]

I welded a little. The arc is a bit finicky if I do not keep the
distance. But it welds and flows nicely.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4844 fired this volley in
:

I did the boss on the mill to, the whole works, taking off only a
minute amount of material.

thanks... I have the CAM, and the skills, only not the experience or the
parts.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4844 fired this volley in
:

Weirdly, my post showed up under another thread... re-posting

LS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking