DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   56 years ago (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/317407-re-56-years-ago.html)

Dennis January 19th 11 04:48 AM

56 years ago

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Thats only 56 years ago!

[........]

Thirty years ago I used to be able visit the store with $5 in my wallet and
come away with a bottle of whisky and a packet of cigarettes. You cant do
that these days, too many ****ing security cameras.

Gunner Asch[_6_] January 19th 11 06:26 AM

56 years ago

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:48:50 +0800, "Dennis" wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Thats only 56 years ago!

[........]

Thirty years ago I used to be able visit the store with $5 in my wallet and
come away with a bottle of whisky and a packet of cigarettes. You cant do
that these days, too many ****ing security cameras.

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein

Gerald Miller January 19th 11 07:07 AM

56 years ago

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:48:50 +0800, "Dennis"
wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Thats only 56 years ago!

[........]

Thirty years ago I used to be able visit the store with $5 in my wallet and
come away with a bottle of whisky and a packet of cigarettes. You cant do
that these days, too many ****ing security cameras.

In 1949, I figured that if I ever earned a dollar per hour, I would be
a Rich man. When I turned 19 (1958) I worked as a labourer wheeling
concrete in a wheelbarrow for $1.25/hour.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Rich Grise[_3_] January 19th 11 09:03 AM

56 years ago

Gerald Miller wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:48:50 +0800, "Dennis"
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Thats only 56 years ago!

[........]

Thirty years ago I used to be able visit the store with $5 in my wallet
and come away with a bottle of whisky and a packet of cigarettes. You cant
do that these days, too many ****ing security cameras.

In 1949, I figured that if I ever earned a dollar per hour, I would be
a Rich man. When I turned 19 (1958) I worked as a labourer wheeling
concrete in a wheelbarrow for $1.25/hour.

EEk! You're OLD! I was _born_ in 1949! Anyway, I remember the first nine
dollars I earned at my paper route - I bought a BB gun. It wasn't a Daisy,
but some off-brand, and it was my most prized possession. In about 1966,
I got a job as a bus boy/dishwasher at $1.20/hr, and we used to steal the
coffee hostess's tips. =:-O

Cheers!
Rich