Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Made an actual real world part with my cheap China tools yesterday

Ok, nothing special. A buddy of mine had a broken plastic bushing in the
top of his seat pedestal on his bass boat.

I took a piece of aluminum stock and bored it out to .500 on the cheap mill
drill with my cheap chinese (didn't know that when I ordered it as it came
from Chicago) 5" vise holding the round stock nice and straight. Then I
squared off the face where I did a lousy job of cutting off the stiock to
begin with.

Then I the a 1/2" bolt in the Harbor Fright mini lathe and made the head
nice and round. Then I turned it around and center drilled the other end.
This made a nice arbor for the piece of aluminum stock. I turned it to
round and to shape between centers. Then back on the mill / drill and bored
it out to 3/4 for his seat base.

It was a perfect mallet (press) fit into the tube. The seat base dropped
right in.

What I found particularly satisfying is I just did it. Didn't have to stop
and think about a single step.