Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default Made an actual real world part with my cheap China toolsyesterday

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:43:52 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:
"James Waldby" wrote ...
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:32:32 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:
Ok, nothing special. A buddy of mine had a broken plastic bushing in
the top of his seat pedestal on his bass boat.

[...]
I modified half-a-dozen wheel-mounting parts (shoulder bolts, carriage
bolts, axle spacers) yesterday, and had to stop and think about a
couple of steps. I needed to attach a positioning lever to a wheel
strut, with less than an eighth inch of clearance for bolt heads. I
decided to thin the heads of carriage bolts rather than of hex-head
bolts; which was easy to do. The part I had to think about was how to
round the corners of the short square section under the heads of the
bolts so that they would seat better. There was interference between
lathe tool and chuck jaws, lathe tool and bolt head, etc., depending on
whether I chucked the head or the stem of the bolt. Ended up using a
parting blade for this step, which worked fine.

I've tried a parting blade a couple times for turning operations, and I
learned that the blade makes a really neat tone when it pops out of the
holder.

I haven't tried moving the compound with parting blade engaged -- never
occurred to me to try that -- so I haven't heard that "really neat tone".
What I did was move the blade +Y-Y+X 3 times and was done without incident.

--
jiw